West Coast IPA with medical taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoney 1962

Reaction score
Good morning brewers,
Just looking for some advice as to what could have caused a batch of West Coast IPA to have a strong medical taste and smell?
The batch fermented on target and carbed up well but after 4 weeks conditioning there is still as stated a strong off smell and taste.

Any idea when is normally the cause of this and what, if anything can be done to correct this?

Stoney 1962

Medicinal taste is usually from chlorine - what did you use to sanitise your gear, and did you rinse it off? Is your tap water high in chlorine?

Mick
All equipment is sanitised prior to use, same with the bottles in use and not rinsed off after.

The Strike Water was treated prior to use also.

Mick
All equipment is sanitised prior to use, same with the bottles in use and not rinsed off after.

The Strike Water was treated prior to use also.
What did you use to sanitise? If it was chlorine based and you didn’t rinse that might be your answer.

Can anyone advise if prolonging the conditioning phase will help this brew or if it is best to dump it?

If it smells like sticking plasters, it's chlorophenol, caused by chlorine, either in your water, or more likely from a chlorine based cleaner. It is okay to use a dilute chlorine based cleaner (bleach) to clean your equipment and bottles, but it is essential to rinse it off thoroughly afterwards and ideally use a no-rinse sanitiser like chemsan aftrerwards.

I have encountered this is a beer only once, in a pub bought beer and I couldn't finish the pint. Unfortunately once it is there, it won't go away.

The sanitiser i use is not Chemsan or Starsan but is supposed to be no rinse.
Will just dump the batch and put it down to experience.

Thanks for the advise

The sanitiser i use is not Chemsan or Starsan but is supposed to be no rinse.
Will just dump the batch and put it down to experience.

Thanks for the advise

Chemipro Oxi by any chance?
If it's that or a similar product then it's only really no rinse if you leave it for a couple of hours till the oxi stuff breaks down onto salts.
I suffered the exact same problem until I started giving my gear a final rinse

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back