Wet bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsb

Reaction score
Should I be worried about bottling my beer before the bottles have dried after sterilisation?

If it’s a no rinse steriliser like star san or chem san, or another one, then no, just bottle straight on to the foam! I always do and never had a problem. Don’t fear the foam!
If it’s a bleach based one like VWP or others then you need to rinse it thoroughly. Even then there’s inevitably going to be a tiny bit of water left, unless you aren’t sure about the sanitation of your water supply I would say just bottle right on there.
Do be sure to rinse the bleach ones away though, I had a wasted batch early in my brewing career where I hadn’t rinsed thoroughly and the brew smelled (and tasted) like TCP! 😆

This is the one I’ve used, and tbh it says on the box rinse hands after use! Which I didn’t read!! Doh 40 pints later??
31C92EBB-033E-4DCF-918D-8DD3DA73BB79.jpeg

Just looked up the ingredients in the Fred & Flo and it's chlorine based so like me and Fuggled you might end up with beer that tastes like plasters. There is a light there, though, as some people genetically can't taste it. I soooo wish I was one of them.

When I'm rinsing out my bottles after using bleach I pour a little into my hand and taste the water to check it's OK. I try and get most of the water out but there's always drips left that end up mixing with the priming sugar.

Just looked up the ingredients in the Fred & Flo and it's chlorine based so like me and Fuggled you might end up with beer that tastes like plasters. There is a light there, though, as some people genetically can't taste it. I soooo wish I was one of them.
Oh sh#t!! I hate the taste of chlorine 🤮 oh we just have to wait and see?

Oh sh#t!! I hate the taste of chlorine 🤮 oh we just have to wait and see?

well, mine was so bad it even smelled of TCP towards the end of fermenting...I bottled anyway hoping it would go away, but it got worse :(

But that said, I had used chlorine based sanitiser 12-15 times before that with no effects... so who knows. Just wait and see!

Back