Wetherspoons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New deal with Brewdog too...might get a winter special...impy stout on tap £1.99 a pint with a free burger and chips.
Funny that I was in Liverpool a few weeks back. We called into Spoon's and got a burger, chips and a pint of punk for 8 pounds.

The Punk IPA they sell on tap is 5.2% @ £3.19 according to the app for one in Aylesbury.

I don't mind Wetherspoons if you want reasonable food and drink at a very good price, I was in Basingstoke one morning and knew I could get a large decent full English with free refills for about £6. It was 9am and I had never been to Basingstoke before so it was convenient.

What I don't like some of the people and the soulless atmosphere... at 9am there was 2 blokes on separate tables chugging down some lager, I was in no rush admittedly but by the time I had breakfast and 2 coffees they both had 3 pints. By the time I left one was having a gin with every beer staring into space and the other was ploughing money into the fruit machine, a few more men had arrived on their own for cheap ale. Absolutely nobody was speaking to anyone and there was no music, it was a little depressing.

I like the crowd in spoons that have been to the frozen food shop then stopped for "a pint" on the way home and are still there at tea time..hammered with their defrosted shopping.

they were only going out, but ended up out out!

I like the crowd in spoons that have been to the frozen food shop then stopped for "a pint" on the way home and are still there at tea time..hammered with their defrosted shopping.

We get those ones round here too.

And everyone knows that if you want to go for a romantic meal, you take her for a cheeky Nando's athumb..

Well I have more or less given the chain up. Tim Martin has come across somewhat two faced over Brexit, his treatment of staff has a lot to be desired and frankly I find the beer that's served never really top notch.
The coffee is pretty good value though

I must admit, whilst I don't have any time for the owner, in 15 years of going to Wetherspoons, I have never had a bad pint. Also, there are very few places round my way that I can go to and get what I know will be a well-looked-after pint of local ale for less than £3.

As others have said, it has its place.

My office is a few doors down from a 'spoons so we go there occasionally for breakfast (and sometimes an after-work pint). It's quite eye-opening watching the regulars getting twitchy at 0845 ready for alcholol to start being served at 9am. There's one guy who regularly sinks 4 pints by about 9.30.

The breakfast are OK altho have gone downhill a bit since the pandemic. Beer is always good, had a great pint of Exmoor Gold recently. And with a CAMRA voucher you can get a pint of one of their basic ales for 49p!

Last time I was in a spoons, (the Counting House (posh?)), one of the kitchen staff came out, sat down, and ate a meal. He looked like a filthy tramp, with chip fat hair, and put me right off their food. Not sure Ive been in one since. When Im in the "City" I have a few faves which are mostly owned by Fullers.

I must admit, whilst I don't have any time for the owner, in 15 years of going to Wetherspoons, I have never had a bad pint. Also, there are very few places round my way that I can go to and get what I know will be a well-looked-after pint of local ale for less than £3.

As others have said, it has its place.
I couldn’t agree more with the above, it’s not to everybody’s taste, but I’ve no issue paying £1.50 a pint less, whilst ordering and eating ‘consistent’ albeit not gourmet food.
Yes, you can get better atmosphere elsewhere, but as I’m going in to sit with my missus anyway, it doesn’t really bother me who else is in there, regardless of it’s a Weatherspoons or alternate establishment.

The best spoons i have been in was in Wick in Scotland really clean and tidy great staff and the food was what you expect the ale was good to, Largs is pretty good as well, the worst is Blackpool

The beer is cheap but if the Leominster one is anything to go by the food is terrible, the service likewise and the floor in the gents' disgusting. Oh, and it's owned by Tim Martin...

I used to frequent a Wetherspoons in north London several times a week as the the alternatives within walking distance were pretty awful. A Green King pub that occasionally had their awful IPA that I stopped using because of the occasional whiff of violence in the air and the fact that when they were closing the staff had turned all the lights off and didn't when which switch was for the gents. The other nearby pub was sub-Wetherspoons.

The majority of staff were nice people, but no Wetherspoons has enough staff to clear tables, but that's one of the reasons the beer's so cheap.

The food is generally not great. I went in for a burger and a pint once, but told it was going to be at least half an hour as they were so busy. I went acrosss the road to a Turkish restaurant, had bread, two dips, kebab, rice, salad, a bottle of water, Turkish tea and a piece of baklava for a couple of pounds more. The food was ten tumes better.

Since the referendum, I've been to a Wetherspoons once and that was only because a friend who now lives overseas wanted to go to one for old times sake and hope never to do so again.

Back