Whale Flipper update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three years ago I was very enthusiastic about using a Whale Flipper Mk IV caravan water pump as a mini beer engine. I have since discovered a shortcoming which I must bring to Member’s notice.

Whilst most parts are beer compatible, there are some made from light alloy, and after about a year’s use I found salt-like white particles coming into the glass. The main offender is the crank, which attaches the shaft to the connecting rod, and is a die-casting. I am considering making one out of nylon to overcome the problem, but whether I ever get around to it is anybody’s guess!

I did notice one is fresh water only and one is for salt and fresh water I got the latter, not noticed any 'bits' yet. I rinse and dry mine after each use. I'm still trying to perfect the perfect pour, its hard work but I will persevere :-}

I did notice one is fresh water only and one is for salt and fresh water I got the latter, not noticed any 'bits' yet. I rinse and dry mine after each use. I'm still trying to perfect the perfect pour, its hard work but I will persevere :-}
I think there is only one type, and they do say it is suitable for sea water. However having lived on a sea-going boat for three years I know what sea water does to things, and doubt the crank would fare any better than it does in beer. I also doubt that many people need a supply of sea water pumped to their galley. Anyhow they are fairly easy to strip down, so just be aware of the problem I have found.

Regarding the perfect pour, you really need a nozzle of some kind on the end of the spout. I achieved this by forcing the beer out of the adjustable nozzle from an old beer engine.

forcing the beer out of the adjustable nozzle from an old beer engine
That is exactly what I need & what I learned to pull beer with eons ago. I have never seen one for sale I have tried both sparklers (black white) but are both too large. I remember the old boys shouting screw bloody nozzle up lad, women can't pour beer proper.. It was hard work pulling beer with the sparkler screwed up tight.

That is exactly what I need & what I learned to pull beer with eons ago. I have never seen one for sale I have tried both sparklers (black white) but are both too large. I remember the old boys shouting screw bloody nozzle up lad, women can't pour beer proper.. It was hard work pulling beer with the sparkler screwed up tight.
Try the plumbing dept at Bunnings the tap areators fit nicely into the end of some tube. That is what I used as a sparkler.
1646275231174.png

If you search for “Beer sparkler nozzles” you will find several alternatives, though none seem to give what thread they have. The photos show my Flipper in bits and the problem die-cast crank. It is a pain removing the pin holding it to the shaft, you can just get a pin punch in to start moving it, then the other end has to be gripped and pulled with a vice grip. If I make a plastic or stainless replacement it will be held on by a stainless grub-screw.

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0381 (1).JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

G’day CD, thx for your posts, the 'standard' thread for sparklers is 5/8” BSC British Standard Cycle 28TPI also known as an instrument thread (I believe). You can buy the taps and dies but they are bloody expensive, unbelievably my standard British sparklers screw directly on my 5/8 tube extension from the Flipper which also fits the flipper tube perfectly. As you can tell I’m a huge fan of Heath Robinson! Some things are just meant to be!
My next try is a $5 tap aerator from bunnings then my next cask beer will have even less C02. I know exactly the mouth feel I’m chasing - Cheers

G’day CD, thx for your posts, the 'standard' thread for sparklers is 5/8” BSC British Standard Cycle 28TPI also known as an instrument thread (I believe). You can buy the taps and dies but they are bloody expensive, unbelievably my standard British sparklers screw directly on my 5/8 tube extension from the Flipper which also fits the flipper tube perfectly. As you can tell I’m a huge fan of Heath Robinson! Some things are just meant to be!
My next try is a $5 tap aerator from bunnings then my next cask beer will have even less C02. I know exactly the mouth feel I’m chasing - Cheers
Hi scomet but i'm afraid i have to disagree on the thread standard, i believe they are BSB (british standard brass) which for all sizes are 26TPI. i have made several caps to plug my spouts on my beer engines for use between pours. so for instance i have Angram and other engines and are all 5/8 26TPI threads

That is all very interesting. Could you post a photo of your Flipper spout set-up by any chance.

So how do you connect your Flipper pump to that? Cut off the original alloy spout somewhere and join the two with a bit of PVC tubing?

CD, Here is my ghetto beer engine (still in development) I used food safe 5/8” o/d food safe tube this attached straight on the vac pump then to the sparkler extension tube with a standard UK black sparkler fitted, it has never leaked a drop. The sparkler extension tube is the same male/female thread on both ends 5/8 BSB/BSC? The black sparkler will screw directly to the flexible tube. It had never leaked or popped off!
https://rlbs.ltd.uk/90mm-spout-nozzle-extension-white.html
8E302A94-E536-4D44-81CE-2C235BE0ECE0.jpeg

I am not that sophisticated with my cask ale, yet, I condition the beer in 1250 and 2000ml bottles and open and put under the pump. Like yourself I have brewed for a long time but have lived in a very hot climate for the last 50 years most of my beer is kept in cornies at 3C. Most of my friends prefer lagers with ice crystals forming in the glass!! I read so much about people (on this forum) producing and serving cracking cask beers I had to start giving it a try. My English Bitter is to die for (imho) I just had to work out how to get it like it had been pulled with a vac pump back in the Marsh House in Huddersfield... Cheers

What I have learnt from this forum is to age my beer longer thx @An Ankoù

Back