What’s this cheeky chappy called?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is a gentleman may have various preferences of sauce depending on the meal present or his particular fancy of the moment.
BOTH bottles should be presented to save embarrassment or any shouting.

Ha! Good point Clint. I like your style.
I don't think SWMBO would address me as a gentleman though, more like oi, you or something of a similar vein. :laugh8:

Ha! I would have to change my whole way of speaking to her, which would make her suspicious, as I have always addressed her in the same manner for the last forty five years!

From the Rochdale/Oldham area of the northwest:
Soft and flatish: muffin
Soft : barm
Crusty: roll
I could go into a chippy and order a chip muffin, yet down the other end of the road I’d have to order a chip barm

It's a bread roll (baps are larger). Teacakes have fruit in them and are usually served lightly toasted.... Barm cake is up there with pattie lot, please just stop saying it. :tongue:

Muffins are indeed of flattened profile, floured and have a slightly coarse texture (Americans call them English muffins, as there are sweet muffins that are nothing like....).

Tea is served in the afternoon (around 3pm maybe), and consists of a pop of tea, possibly some small light sandwiches and maybe some scones, hence it's called tea, or sometimes afternoon tea. Dinner is the evening meal, lunch is the midday meal. Most people only have breakfast, lunch and dinner, unless they wish to emulate hobbits, in which case they may have breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper.... lol

Oh, and why is it that the Aussie is the only one correct in that a cob is a small crusty loaf? What is wrong with you people? Please give up your Britishness cards at the door.... :eek:

Oh yeah, and I was born in the potteries (Tunsta, then moved to Bursley... Before we emigrated to mid Staffordshire down the road. lol), and not once did I hear a bread roll referred to as a barm cake.. A bap yes, a bread roll yes, but barm cake was considered a Geordie thing, not proper Stokey. Also, you missed of the black pudding, preferably from Browns butchers in Hanley market, all served a a massive BAP. I preferred oatcakes and cheese myself though, still do, with a bit of fruity sauce on top (for those not aware, a type of brown sauce that's fruitier in flavour).

It's a bread roll (baps are larger). Teacakes have fruit in them and are usually served lightly toasted.... Barm cake is up there with pattie lot, please just stop saying it. :tongue:

Muffins are indeed of flattened profile, floured and have a slightly coarse texture (Americans call them English muffins, as there are sweet muffins that are nothing like....).

Tea is served in the afternoon (around 3pm maybe), and consists of a pop of tea, possibly some small light sandwiches and maybe some scones, hence it's called tea, or sometimes afternoon tea. Dinner is the evening meal, lunch is the midday meal. Most people only have breakfast, lunch and dinner, unless they wish to emulate hobbits, in which case they may have breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper.... lol

Oh, and why is it that the Aussie is the only one correct in that a cob is a small crusty loaf? What is wrong with you people? Please give up your Britishness cards at the door.... :eek:

Oh yeah, and I was born in the potteries (Tunsta, then moved to Bursley... Before we emigrated to mid Staffordshire down the road. lol), and not once did I hear a bread roll referred to as a barm cake.. A bap yes, a bread roll yes, but barm cake was considered a Geordie thing, not proper Stokey. Also, you missed of the black pudding, preferably from Browns butchers in Hanley market, all served a a massive BAP. I preferred oatcakes and cheese myself though, still do, with a bit of fruity sauce on top (for those not aware, a type of brown sauce that's fruitier in flavour).
Ah the English muffin is different to the north west muffin, we have oven bottom muffins for a start but in my small corner of the world almost any soft bread roll was a muffin

Ah the English muffin is different to the north west muffin, we have oven bottom muffins for a start but in my small corner of the world almost any soft bread roll was a muffin

Can you imagine how confused as a nation we would have been had we still been innocents by the lyrics "bluffin with my muffin"? We would have had some image of somebody trying to confuse people with their bread roll, maybe trying to convince them that it was actually a cob.... athumb..

Latest posts

Back