What’s this cheeky chappy called?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's breakfast / lunch / tea / dinner / supper

That's why a meal that replaces the first two is abbreviated to 'brunch', and the fancy jacket you wear in the evening is called a dinner jacket, and having friends over for a meal in the evening is called a dinner party.

Now get back to your toil in the fields, peasants, lest I come down there and give you a damn good thrashing.....

It's breakfast / lunch / tea / dinner / supper

That's why a meal that replaces the first two is abbreviated to 'brunch', and the fancy jacket you wear in the evening is called a dinner jacket, and having friends over for a meal in the evening is called a dinner party.

Now get back to your toil in the fields, peasants, lest I come down there and give you a damn good thrashing.....

I am in the Dinner 12 o'clock - Tea 5 o'clock camp.

Dinner ladies (school dinners) and lunch boxes (mid day meal) tend to confuse the issue.

It does in my book. athumb..

What’s the criteria for a bacon butty?

I love the passion we have as Brit’s for the name of a piece of bread!

What about oven bottom?
+Beat me to it- Oven Bottom Cake in Lancs/Yours borders

Sliced sandwich bread (the cheaper and whiter the better), butter (optional), bacon, red or brown sauce. Bacon butty. Same with a barm? Bacon barm. Not a butty.

I appreciate that other viewpoints exist, but they are wrong and the sign of a lack of moral fibre.
I'm glad you at least qualified the butter as optional. In actual fact, you must never use butter on a bacon sandwich, if you wish your bread moistened, merely dip it in the bacon fat. It's a tradition, or an old charter or something.

I'm glad you at least qualified the butter as optional. In actual fact, you must never use butter on a bacon sandwich, if you wish your bread moistened, merely dip it in the bacon fat. It's a tradition, or an old charter or something.
The butter is prevent the red sauce being absorbed by the bread, no other reason.

The butter is prevent the red sauce being absorbed by the bread, no other reason.
Aaaarrrggghh! That's another thing that gets me wound up. It's not red sauce. It's tomato ketchup. Just because there is a condiment called Brown Sauce doesn't mean we have to start calling things by their colour when they have perfectly good proper names. Aaaarrrggghh!!!!! :laugh8:

Aaaarrrggghh! That's another thing that gets me wound up. It's not red sauce. It's tomato ketchup. Just because there is a condiment called Brown Sauce doesn't mean we have to start calling things by their colour when they have perfectly good proper names. Aaaarrrggghh!!!!! :laugh8:
6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Ooh, I do hope that we avoid arguing the lunch / tea / dinner / supper debate!

The correct use of these terms is, of course:
- dinner is the meal you have in the middle of the day IF it is a full cooked meal.
- lunch is an uncooked / snack meal that you have in the middle of the day.
- Tea is the meal that you have early evening, whether or not it is cooked / snack-type.
- supper is what posh people eat before going to bed
Supper...yeah because their fiddly cordon blue dinners aren't enough to feed a fly...I bet they have a sneaky pie,chips,peas and three breads and butter...

Latest posts

Back