What’s your favourite lawnmower beer recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
The weather is perfect at the moment and I’m thinking of getting a simple lawn mower beer on this week. A light pale ale, not too strong and not too hoppy. A thirst quencher that goes down easy on a hot Summer’s day.

Anyone got any tried and trusted recipes they could recommend?

I’ve got a lovely American blond ale I’m drinking at the moment (although not right now I’m working). It’s bang on 4%

3.5kg pilsner, 300g flaked corn
15g citra 10mins
35g 5mins
US-05

Despite the 50g citra it’s actually very balanced and the citrus and corn flavours complement each other nicely.

Is the flaked barley just for head retention?
I've done a couple of cream type ales that had flaked maize which I find quite distinctive in taste ...a taste I can pick out in commercial beers that have corn syrup listed in the ingredients. I don't like it much...

Is the flaked barley just for head retention?
I've done a couple of cream type ales that had flaked maize which I find quite distinctive in taste ...a taste I can pick out in commercial beers that have corn syrup listed in the ingredients. I don't like it much...

That's what I put it in for but it adds a bit of body too

I do a straight forward Mosaic Marris Otter Smash, for 10L:

2KG Maris Otter
6g Mosaic 60 Minutes
6g Mosaic 20 Minutes
6g Mosaic 5 Minutes
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.007
Fermented with Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell

It makes a nice clean pale ale at about 4%. Obviously not much good I’d you don’t like Mosaic.

If you don't like Mosaic you need to see someone...
What brought that on? Mosaic are ok, better in a blend, but what is there not to like? Not sure I'd want to do a single hop brew based on Mosaic.
Just ferreting around in the hop fridge and found 100g of Galaxy, which I'd forgotten about and which I've found to be an amazing hop, and 100g of Enigma, which I've no idea about. Has anyone used the latter?
Oh yeah. Perfect lawnmower beer: Carlsberg Special Brew. Two pints, forget the mowing, carry on drinking. What's wrong with that? It's a holiday long weekend, after all.

What brought that on? Mosaic are ok, better in a blend, but what is there not to like? Not sure I'd want to do a single hop brew based on Mosaic.
Just ferreting around in the hop fridge and found 100g of Galaxy, which I'd forgotten about and which I've found to be an amazing hop, and 100g of Enigma, which I've no idea about. Has anyone used the latter?
Oh yeah. Perfect lawnmower beer: Carlsberg Special Brew. Two pints, forget the mowing, carry on drinking. What's wrong with that? It's a holiday long weekend, after all.

I do t have any Special Brew but I do have six cans of Cloud Water A Gentle Nod to Welcome Visitors (9%), for when special brew just isn’t strong enough.

I do t have any Special Brew but I do have six cans of Cloud Water A Gentle Nod to Welcome Visitors (9%), for when special brew just isn’t strong enough.
Steady on. The Special Brew I remember was 9%, light golden, with a floral hoppiness. It was lovely, crafted beer. Just googled Special Brew and it's "dark golden", malty and 7.4%. Sounds like *****. We're not talking about the same thing. I'm going to have to dig out Dave Line's "Making Beers Like Those you Buy" and try and knock up some of the proper muti juice. Bloody hell. Blink, and things you thought were pillars of the Earth just vanish.o_O

I do a straight forward Mosaic Marris Otter Smash, for 10L:

2KG Maris Otter
6g Mosaic 60 Minutes
6g Mosaic 20 Minutes
6g Mosaic 5 Minutes
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.007
Fermented with Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell

It makes a nice clean pale ale at about 4%. Obviously not much good I’d you don’t like Mosaic.

Love Mosaic, but like most hops I think it's better with at least one or two other hops

If you don't like Mosaic you need to see someone...
I have only tried mosaic once, in a single hop beer from M&S, can't remember which one. And I just don't get it, maybe it was a poor beer I tried, but everytime I raised the glass to my face I was hit by the smell of sweaty socks. Not cheesy, but the smell you get when you unzip your footy / gym bag that has sat in the boot of your car for a few days. I know some people perceive smells in different ways, like some people get a cat pee smell off citra hops and others don't, but I think I have been mentally scarred on this one.

Bring on the men in white coats.😨

to be honest i havent been very pleased with mosaic this year either , the 18&19 growing seasons specifically. i have used three separate suppliers of pellet and leaf hops and it just doesnt taste the same as I remember in prior years. much more dank and piney like columbus and less mango and fruity than i remember. must be something air.

Latest posts

Back