What a c*ck up

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a MJ apple cider yesterday, placed it in a fridge that doesn't work as a fridge(no cooling) with a heating belt on the FV, connected the heating belt to what I thought was the HEAT side of the temp controller and left it at 21°C. The wife went down to make a cuppa this morning and said that there's a smell coming from where I brew? I went down to make the second cuppa and thought I'd check on the cider, I opened the fridge door and it was tropical, the temp was showing 38.6°C on the temp controller but the cooling light was on the controller. I'd connected the brew belt to the COOL side of the controller(DOH) I let it cool to 20°C and pitched some more cider yeast this afternoon. I will let you know how it turns outasad.

Hopsteep

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a MJ apple cider yesterday, placed it in a fridge that doesn't work as a fridge(no cooling) with a heating belt on the FV, connected the heating belt to what I thought was the HEAT side of the temp controller and left it at 21°C. The wife went down to make a cuppa this morning and said that there's a smell coming from where I brew? I went down to make the second cuppa and thought I'd check on the cider, I opened the fridge door and it was tropical, the temp was showing 38.6°C on the temp controller but the cooling light was on the controller. I'd connected the brew belt to the COOL side of the controller(DOH) I let it cool to 20°C and pitched some more cider yeast this afternoon. I will let you know how it turns outasad.
“Tropic Thunder” would be a great name! Fingers crossed it comes out well in the end

Banbeer

Banbeer Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update

Good news, I took a gravity reading at the start OG was 1.052 and took a reading tonight SG was 1.010 took a taste which was very promising. I have the apple cider taste pouch to add but will wait for a week or so and then chill it for a few days at 3°C to clear (if I get the right plugs in the correct sockets 😂 , different fridge so should be ok).