What about this for the name of a pub?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to call any pub I owned “The Jim”.

Not a tribute to any famous Jims (or infamous ones), but to enable the clientele to tell their wives/husbands/work colleagues/Puritan friends that they are “going to The Jim”. The deception would be complete if the pub goer is carrying a small hold-all.

As an added precaution, a special kiosk in the boozer would have the sound effects of a real Gym piped in it. If the customer got a mobile phone call whilst mid-pint, he/she could walk into the kiosk to answer it and say, without lying, that he/she is “in The Jim”.

I have managed to find my copy of Bill Bryson's excellent book on the English language, 'Mother Tongue'. It has a chapter on names and a page or so on pub names.

Almost any name will do so long as it is at least faintly absurd, unconnected with the name of the owner, and entirely lacking in in any suggestion of drinking, conversing and enjoying oneself. At a minimum the name should puzzle foreigners - this is a basic requirement of most British institutions - and ideally should excite long and inconclusive debate, defy all logical explanation, and evoke images that border on the surreal.

Reminds me of a joke I heard long ago about the village with a pub called The Traveller's Arms; then one called The Travellers' Head; then The Traveller's Legs. And finally The Traveller's Rest.
Wouldn't mind having a pub called "The Prosthetic Limb" actually. It rather hits all the buttons apart from the Saracen's Head!

Latest posts

Back