What are you drinking tonight 2020 (part two)

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive largely being put off pressure barrels by all the horror stories you hear on them but I confess I can see the appeal for really low carbonated English ales.
I have 11 King Kegs and have no problems with them at all. I did struggle in the early days like many people but got past all that.

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight Matthew, I'll be drinking a bottle of Wolf Rock by Sharp's.
View attachment 29057

I thought I'd buy it because I've never tried it before. To be honest, it's a bit meh :confused.:.

I think I'll have to follow it up with my Guinness clone or some dark lager (pilsner with a small addition of crystal).
Their Sea Fury is a beautiful ale but even there try the mini-keg rather than bottles.

Reactions: NPi

Leon103

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is something I always wanted to know. Is keg beer superior to bottled beer. What is the difference
I find beer so much nicer from my cornie, tastes fresh longer from no oxygen, uv damage and not sat on the yeast. You can also control the carbonation

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Obscure..the Deuchars...a favourite of mine!
Could I pinch your recipe please?

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I always wanted to know. Is keg beer superior to bottled beer. What is the difference
I should say the difference you “experience” is that the kegged beer is perceived as being more flavoursome, having more body, and is softer/smoother.

Maybe if you get the carbonation right in the bottle the difference is less marked?

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
I should say the difference you “experience” is that the kegged beer is perceived as being more flavoursome, having more body, and is softer/smoother.

Maybe if you get the carbonation right in the bottle the difference is less marked?
I am on the hunt for a chest freezer or larder fridge to build a kegerator. Slim pickings where I live.

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obscure..the Deuchars...a favourite of mine!
Could I pinch your recipe please?
It’s basically the Wheeler recipie though scaled to 11L

1.7KG Maris Otter
110g light crystal
70g wheat
Mash at 68 degrees (recipe calls for 90 minutes but I have seen no adverse impact of mashing for 60 minutes)

32g Fuggles (60 minute) original recipie is a 90 minute boil slightly Increased the hops and reduced the boil time no discernible impact between batches)
10g Styrian Golding 10 minutes

Yeast wise I used S-04.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am on the red wine for a change. I needed a bottle to steep prunes for my Saison. So I am polishing of the rest😉

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bag Seeds Lantern Rouge Red Ale (6.3%)

I bought this as a mini keg a few weeks ago, as I couldn’t finish it over the week end I transferred it to a half size corny keg, rather than let it go to waste. I think it has actually improved with a couple,of,weeks in a keg, the flavour has mellowed out, it was also a tad murky but has fully cleared a pleasant beer.

Latest posts