What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With my mash well underway it's time to make a liquid offering to the god of small beer - may this brew be better than the last
acheers.
20200517_124824.jpg

nice you leave the top screen off too. thought i was the only one who did that.
I like to give it the odd stir during the mash but have put the top screen on towards the end as I've got 11L to sparge through it

well in that case, im kicking off the evening with a pale ale that @samale sent me.

looks like a pale ale right out of the bottle has a slight haze and is quite bubbly.

i get a strong lemon lime aroma right initially. with a hints of spice, pine and floral. as it warms up the i get light sweet roll and malt.

at first sip its very light bodied and quite bubbly. then a strong piney hop flavor with a heavy bitterness that lingers for a while. very little in the way of malt, its there but at 4% its definitely in the background i would imagine there is very little crystal malt in there and is probably just pale ale malt or pilsner. it does raise its hand at the end saying notice me. yeast is a very clean one, and i dont notice it at all.

this is a solid easy drinking pale ale with a hoppy kick. i could easily drink 2 or 3 pints of this at a pub stop in the middle of a long bike ride. quite refreshing, solid job samale!

he said there is sorachi ace in this which i have never had. i am trying to pick it out and think thats whats giving it the unique piney floral taste. the description is on the tip of my tongue but i cant seem to place it right now.

edit: dill! just did some research on sorachi ace and thats exactly it. its very light though and you have to search for it.

View attachment 26123
Thank you for the review which is spot on for me. This was made for easy drinking. A beer that you could enjoy during the day without tripping over your feet. It's probably the lowest abv beer I have made.
Not sure of the grain bill my notes are at home, I know it contains all late hops. 50g of cascade and 50g of sorachi ace at flame out plus the same dry hop at day 10. Sorachi ace is very unique flavour. I also get the dill undertone, it's a hop I really enjoy but I don't see many using. The yeast was Pia which I seemed to be using a lot 👍👍👍
I look forward to the next review

Thank you for the review which is spot on for me. This was made for easy drinking. A beer that you could enjoy during the day without tripping over your feet. It's probably the lowest abv beer I have made.
Not sure of the grain bill my notes are at home, I know it contains all late hops. 50g of cascade and 50g of sorachi ace at flame out plus the same dry hop at day 10. Sorachi ace is very unique flavour. I also get the dill undertone, it's a hop I really enjoy but I don't see many using. The yeast was Pia which I seemed to be using a lot 👍👍👍
I look forward to the next review
hmmm thats really interesting to both the hop timing and the yeast. the aroma from the dry hops was there but i would have sworn with the bitterness you had a pretty decent 60min addition. im really surprised it was all flame out additions.

also the pia, the 4 or so times i have used it i get a very distinct lager flavor that i didnt get from yours. it was super clean and wonder if that hop load influenced that?

im gonna give pia another shot!

im gonna give pia another shot!
It's one of my favs too. After using the last 2 pack pitch for 3 generations I'm going to pitch a new pack today but in combo with a pack of Bry-97, by way of a change :laugh8:

This is the recipe for the Munich dunkel which is one of the best beers I've ever made:

Munich Dunkel

Batch Size: 20L
Grain: 5.1kg
Hops: 50g
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.020
ABV: 4.6%
Colour: 20SRM
Bitterness: 20IBU

Grain Bill
----------
3.0kg Munich I (59%)
2.0kg Munich II (39%)
0.1kg Carafa special II (2%)

Hop Bill
----------
35g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 60 mins
15g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 20 mins

Ferment at 10°C with WLP833 - German bock lager for 5 days, raise to 19°C for 5 days, lager at -1°C for 4 days.

Got your Munich Dunkel on the go today and looking forward to trying it. Thanks again @strange-steve :hat:

16480F5F-0DDE-4E94-A52F-4B53A40DB761.jpeg
My Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild (5.4%) clone

Slightly sweet but really nice malty flavour, this remains one of my favourite beers. Have the ingredients for another batch arriving Monday (assuming no issues with UPS)

FADA9213-A6BF-4D1D-8F02-CF26B6DC58CF.jpeg
Wilko Lighthouse Keeper (4%)

I wasn’t sure on this it was fermented with a Kweik yeast, a few weeks and the tartness has eased off and leaves it with a pleasant slight acidity it is a very drinkable session beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back