• July 15, 2020 USA date. 1am EST to approx 3am EST Server will be off line for maintenance.

What are you drinking tonight 2020 (part two)

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
Drinking a Belgian pale ale with Brett from @strange-steve. What a beautiful deep orange colour and a nice white head that stuck around well. The Brett is expressing itself as a slightly tart fruitiness which is great. Really interested to see if it gets funkier in the second bottle which I will age for a while. Carb level is right on, nice and high which is right for the style. A comparison with Orval is inevitable, I think this is definitely on a par with some bottles I’ve had. It might be a little sweeter, I’m not sure if that’s the Brett or a little bit of caramel from the malt. A lovely beer as always, thanks Steve. Looking forward to the second bottle in a few months (I have to wait that long really don’t I?!)
Thanks mate, I appreciate that. There is a surprising amount of crystal in this recipe (it is an Orval clone recipe btw), although as @Sadfield pointed out recently, Orval is a very traditional British recipe so maybe not that surprising.

That sweetness will lessen as the brett continues to work, and it should age very well. The last time I brewed this recipe I drank the last bottle at about 2 years old and it was better than ever. Not that you have to keep the other bottle for 2 years 🙂

HSD

Reaction score
First bottle of Muntons Belgian ale 4 weeks in, treated the water on this and seems to have helped also used a thermostat belt, very nice and imagine will only improve ( if I’m good!) topped off with a tin or two of Vocation Life & Death, which I’m quite impressed by.

Mrhandsome

Regular.
Reaction score
Fancied a bit of a change* this Sunday so I'm on the mango wine.

Almost 2 years in the bottle and it's perfect now. No idea what strength it is as I didn't know what a hydrometer was when I made it.
IMG_20200524_125924.jpg

*the change being I'm out of beer, it's all conditioning.

Mrhandsome

Regular.
Reaction score
Next is a mixed fruit cider I made last August from half foraged, half shop bought berries, and pear juice. I sweetened it and carbed for 2 weeks before pasteurizing to kill the yeast.

Unfortunately I don't think these swing top bottles keep carbonation at all, both this and my mango wine are flat. It still makes a nice still cider though, which I haven't been a fan of in the past. It's like a cross between ribena and vimto.
IMG_20200524_135536.jpg

Banbeer

Brewing Apprentice
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just drinking an MJ Simcoe single hop IPA at the moment (I love Simcoe 😍).

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
I've had a few brilliant simcoe beers this week (mainly thanks to @Hoddy :hat:) so thought I'd grab 225g while putting a little hop order in.
Not sure exactly what I'll do with them yet

obscure

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cloud Water A Gentle Nod to Welcome Visitors (9%)

I bought a half dozen cans of this and find myself really enjoying it, it’s sweet, but not sickly, only downside is how easy it is to drink.

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Simcoe too, pairs really well with Mosaic - maybe not surprising given that Mosaic is in part derived from Simcoe and is from the same stable. 😋

obscure

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Mosaic/Simcoe IPA is ready to keg but I have no empty kegs 😭

Concerted effort needed now to finish the 5 or 6 pints of brown porter I have left to free up a keg. ;)

View attachment 26450
I’ve started putting commercial beer (2-5L bottles/Poly pins) joymof local beer delivery in mini kegs to ensure they keep more than a couple of days once opened, people, for me is the lack of tap units.

As for what I’m drinking Little Ox Wishing Well (5.4%)

It’s, described as a WestCost IPA, its not bad. but a bit boring their Ayala Dana Doo frankly has a lot, more flavour, But is only 4.5% so would be my first choice. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that when it comes to hops it’s the aromatics I like over bitternes.

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve started putting commercial beer (2-5L bottles/Poly pins) joymof local beer delivery in mini kegs to ensure they keep more than a couple of days once opened, people, for me is the lack of tap units.
I do similar when we go on holiday to Cornwall. I take a keg and gas bottles with me, buy a 40 pint box of Sea Fury from Sharps brewery, keg it and pressurise it. Fresh beer for a week, buy another box and repeat.

8590AC7A-3E0F-43E9-94B4-97C3363DCB2B.jpeg