What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking a Belgian pale ale with Brett from @strange-steve. What a beautiful deep orange colour and a nice white head that stuck around well. The Brett is expressing itself as a slightly tart fruitiness which is great. Really interested to see if it gets funkier in the second bottle which I will age for a while. Carb level is right on, nice and high which is right for the style. A comparison with Orval is inevitable, I think this is definitely on a par with some bottles I’ve had. It might be a little sweeter, I’m not sure if that’s the Brett or a little bit of caramel from the malt. A lovely beer as always, thanks Steve. Looking forward to the second bottle in a few months (I have to wait that long really don’t I?!)
Thanks mate, I appreciate that. There is a surprising amount of crystal in this recipe (it is an Orval clone recipe btw), although as @Sadfield pointed out recently, Orval is a very traditional British recipe so maybe not that surprising.

That sweetness will lessen as the brett continues to work, and it should age very well. The last time I brewed this recipe I drank the last bottle at about 2 years old and it was better than ever. Not that you have to keep the other bottle for 2 years 🙂

First bottle of Muntons Belgian ale 4 weeks in, treated the water on this and seems to have helped also used a thermostat belt, very nice and imagine will only improve ( if I’m good!) topped off with a tin or two of Vocation Life & Death, which I’m quite impressed by.

Fancied a bit of a change* this Sunday so I'm on the mango wine.

Almost 2 years in the bottle and it's perfect now. No idea what strength it is as I didn't know what a hydrometer was when I made it.
IMG_20200524_125924.jpg

*the change being I'm out of beer, it's all conditioning.

Next is a mixed fruit cider I made last August from half foraged, half shop bought berries, and pear juice. I sweetened it and carbed for 2 weeks before pasteurizing to kill the yeast.

Unfortunately I don't think these swing top bottles keep carbonation at all, both this and my mango wine are flat. It still makes a nice still cider though, which I haven't been a fan of in the past. It's like a cross between ribena and vimto.
IMG_20200524_135536.jpg

Just drinking an MJ Simcoe single hop IPA at the moment (I love Simcoe 😍).
I've had a few brilliant simcoe beers this week (mainly thanks to @Hoddy :hat:) so thought I'd grab 225g while putting a little hop order in.
Not sure exactly what I'll do with them yet

Cloud Water A Gentle Nod to Welcome Visitors (9%)

I bought a half dozen cans of this and find myself really enjoying it, it’s sweet, but not sickly, only downside is how easy it is to drink.

My Mosaic/Simcoe IPA is ready to keg but I have no empty kegs 😭

Concerted effort needed now to finish the 5 or 6 pints of brown porter I have left to free up a keg. ;)

View attachment 26450
I’ve started putting commercial beer (2-5L bottles/Poly pins) joymof local beer delivery in mini kegs to ensure they keep more than a couple of days once opened, people, for me is the lack of tap units.

As for what I’m drinking Little Ox Wishing Well (5.4%)

It’s, described as a WestCost IPA, its not bad. but a bit boring their Ayala Dana Doo frankly has a lot, more flavour, But is only 4.5% so would be my first choice. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that when it comes to hops it’s the aromatics I like over bitternes.

I’ve started putting commercial beer (2-5L bottles/Poly pins) joymof local beer delivery in mini kegs to ensure they keep more than a couple of days once opened, people, for me is the lack of tap units.

I do similar when we go on holiday to Cornwall. I take a keg and gas bottles with me, buy a 40 pint box of Sea Fury from Sharps brewery, keg it and pressurise it. Fresh beer for a week, buy another box and repeat.

8590AC7A-3E0F-43E9-94B4-97C3363DCB2B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back