What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having another cheeky sample of my rye beer.
acheers.
20200602_173424.jpg

Well just started drinking my first brew Muntons Connoisseur's Traditional Bitter.. I was not sure about it first of all as one bottle I tried a few days ago didn't really produce a head but today I have had a couple of bottles and now has a nice head.. it's not too bad a taste. Overall I'm happy with the very first brew I made. Already bottled my second brew .. so a few weeks time I will have an amber ale to look forward too

Well just started drinking my first brew Muntons Connoisseur's Traditional Bitter.. I was not sure about it first of all as one bottle I tried a few days ago didn't really produce a head but today I have had a couple of bottles and now has a nice head.. it's not too bad a taste. Overall I'm happy with the very first brew I made. Already bottled my second brew .. so a few weeks time I will have an amber ale to look forward too

I’ve found the head does come after a while when bottling. It seems to me to me that carbonation takes 2-3 weeks, conditioning takes another 4 weeks, the head comes during or just after the conditioning period. I always used to find bottling disappointing until I managed to leave some long enough to figure this out!

I’ve found the head does come after a while when bottling. It seems to me to me that carbonation takes 2-3 weeks, conditioning takes another 4 weeks, the head comes during or just after the conditioning period. I always used to find bottling disappointing until I managed to leave some long enough to figure this out!
Maybe I should leave it a bit longer. I think after I had made a few I will have some that would be left longer

How'd that turn out Dan I have did a few and I didn't get much flavour out of the rye. Adds a great mouth feel to the beer but lacked the spiciness that people describe. I used 1kg in a 20 litre batch
Well it's still early days (only 4 days since packaging) but I'd say the rye is noticable but only mild at 15% of the grist.
It didn't finish very low on the FG (70% attenuation for 4.6% ABV) but the rye does seem to dry it out. I'm planning to rebrew and will use more and/or higher colour crystal to try to balance this.

Last edited:
I am rewarding myself for efforts to restore the garden table (one coat of Ronseal) with the last of my Iron Pier beers - a quite bitter IPA.
I'd never heard of Sultana hops before.

20200602_202737.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back