What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonky bobs pale ale used cml no1 not much head but a nice beer
IMG_20200711_212631.jpg

Tried one of these out when I got in. Not bad at all. The smoke gives it a kind of meaty taste, like sausages almost. Very rich. The Wifey is slow cooking brisket for tomorrow so we added half the bottle to give it a smokey taste.
IMG_20200711_163612_960.jpg

I went to the doctor worrying I was going to die. He asked how come? I said I think I am going to drown in beer. He said he didn't think I world drown in beer so I have started drinking twice as much.

I’m actually starting today with one of my bottled ales. It’s a brown ale and the kegged version is only now starting to clear after 10 weeks. The flavour is ok I guess but I doubt I would enjoy a whole pint.

7D654A14-D519-43F8-B9CF-5937F3D85D36.jpeg

In contrast the bottled version is already clear and starting to taste pretty decent. Cheers!

255090C6-D4F0-4F1A-8A61-D93C7807FD01.jpeg

kicking off today with a freshly carbonated german porter. really happy with the way it turned out, quite malty and a bit roasty with a really balanced funky kick. not sour at all more barnyard and some really nice dark fruity notes. its going down too fast.

20200712_130801.jpg

Attachments

• 20200712_130801.jpg
    20200712_130801.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 36
Dunkel (Lite) aka “Nemesis”.

A Dunkel based on a recipe by @strange-steve but bastardised by me through using the wrong yeast, making the wrong batch size, and throwing 4 litres of it over my kitchen floor!

Looks black in the picture but is actually a deep ruby.

Despite being the wrong beer it’s still very nice.

68A4433A-90D8-4066-B9FC-1100C4E68AC8.jpeg

brewing up my dipa and just started the 90 minute mash, figured it was a good time to give @strange-steve 's munich ipa a tasting.

it came in a 500ml flip top that looks curiously similar to what i bottle in. the bottle pops with a nice audible pop. i wasn't sure at first if it was bottle conditioned or kegged, but it's definitely bottle conditioned and has a nice firm layer of yeast on the bottom. pours quite murky like a neipa. from the aroma its very hoppy up front, there is a very prominent green apple candy, think green apple jolly rancher. very fruity and after swirling though the rich biscuit malt comes through.

taste is super smooth and creamy malt, there is also a sweet grapefruit, like grapefuit marmalade if it existed, and piney and resinous hops which meshes well with the malts. the mouthfeel is very rich and coating this is definitely a full body beer and is very reminiscent of the munich ipa's i have brewed in the past. its strangely like drinking a pie crust (or eating graham crackers) like strange steve aptly described it in another review. The bitterness hits hard after the maltiness drops out has a bit of hop burn indicating this one is pretty young and also confirming that it is definitely an ipa. the bitterness is on a level of stone brewery ruination if you ever had one, yet it meshes really well with the malts. it's really interesting how this one can trick you into thinking you are drinking a rich malty brown ale and then the hops just overwhelm shortly after.

overall this is a very interesting ipa, i haven't had something with this level of bitterness since the bottles of stone i drank when back visiting the states earlier this year. i really enjoyed this one and made me realize that i kind of miss ipa's with a punch. definitely a one a night type of drink though, not just the full body but it also seems that its likely clocking in around a 6-7%

i am super curious to read about the recipe and see what hops were used. there seems to be one that i am not familiar with.

kicking off today with a freshly carbonated german porter. really happy with the way it turned out, quite malty and a bit roasty with a really balanced funky kick. not sour at all more barnyard and some really nice dark fruity notes. its going down too fast.

View attachment 29185
Sounds really interesting, I enjoyed reading the history of the beer on your brew thread.

Sounds really interesting, I enjoyed reading the history of the beer on your brew thread.
yeah it was interesting to read about a style i have never heard about. i think this one should age pretty well. i have been adding smb to the bottling bucket and id so with this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back