What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have been chasing the hazy IPA buzz. This beer shows that simple is sometimes best. Single malt IPA. I might need to rethink my brew list and do some research 👍
Try some of the hazy stuff from boundary. They have some lovely stuff ATM. Had one last week that was class.
IMG_20200703_200331.jpg

I’ve been a bit busy this afternoon ;)

Started with some of my low alcohol bitter (4.4%) to hydrate before the more serious drinking begins. Then, after an agonising wait, I finally get to taste a Hazy IPA from @samale

An initial upset...
FD142D03-93BE-41B2-B5B4-F593D33168A7.jpeg

Gutted to have lost some but maybe @samale will send me some more 😂

I did get most of a pint, this picture was taken after a few “sips”.

C8BFD55E-E10A-4044-A72A-7C6169A12133.jpeg

First thing to say - look at that colour! No problem with colour here @samale
I did unfortunately get some yeast lifted by the foaming ale which will have changed the flavour a little bit but it didn’t spoil it for me.

The beer was quite well carbonated(!) and was beautifully hazy - it almost looks looks like orange juice. Despite some yeast clumps having found their way into my glass the beer was still quite clean and bright.

The aroma was mostly citrusy as might be expected but with a little sweetness. My first thoughts were pineapple but there was a slightly floral addition that I think might be more lychee?

The taste confirms lychee but more complex than that, there is also melon, pithy orange, and I think just a hint of fresh mint in the background.

There is just a touch of astringency drying the roof of my mouth but not at all unpleasant.

At the end the bitterness is smooth, not especially assertive but enough all the same.

A nice beer @samale - great job mate!

I’ve been a bit busy this afternoon ;)

Started with some of my low alcohol bitter (4.4%) to hydrate before the more serious drinking begins. Then, after an agonising wait, I finally get to taste a Hazy IPA from @samale

An initial upset...
View attachment 29469

Gutted to have lost some but maybe @samale will send me some more 😂

I did get most of a pint, this picture was taken after a few “sips”.

View attachment 29470

First thing to say - look at that colour! No problem with colour here @samale
I did unfortunately get some yeast lifted by the foaming ale which will have changed the flavour a little bit but it didn’t spoil it for me.

The beer was quite well carbonated(!) and was beautifully hazy - it almost looks looks like orange juice. Despite some yeast clumps having found their way into my glass the beer was still quite clean and bright.

The aroma was mostly citrusy as might be expected but with a little sweetness. My first thoughts were pineapple but there was a slightly floral addition that I think might be more lychee?

The taste confirms lychee but more complex than that, there is also melon, pithy orange, and I think just a hint of fresh mint in the background.

There is just a touch of astringency drying the roof of my mouth but not at all unpleasant.

At the end the bitterness is smooth, not especially assertive but enough all the same.

A nice beer @samale - great job mate!
Wow I wasn't expecting to see it Cushing. Mine was actually slightly under carbonated 😄😄😄
I will certainly get another sent over.
That was a picture of my last one IMG_20200713_194141942_HDR.jpg

Wow I wasn't expecting to see it Cushing. Mine was actually slightly under carbonated 😄😄😄
I will certainly get another sent over.
That was a picture of my last one View attachment 29473

Might just be the extra few days. I sent a bottle of my plum porter to @Oneflewover for the comp and it was beautiful when I sent it. A month later and I got a good score (34) but dropped at least some point(s) for carbonation. When I opened another bottle myself it was massively over-carbed. I gave it a stir to knock out some of the gas and half a pint foamed out of the glass! 😲

Might just be the extra few days. I sent a bottle of my plum porter to @Oneflewover for the comp and it was beautiful when I sent it. A month later and I got a good score (34) but dropped at least some point(s) for carbonation. When I opened another bottle myself it was massively over-carbed. I gave it a stir to knock out some of the gas and half a pint foamed out of the glass! 😲
I will have another during the week to check. My suspicions is you may of got the last bottle from the batch... Which is my fault if you did.
Looking forward to you trying the Vienna IPA. It's not a nice looker but hopefully it tastes good. I will be bottling a sorachi ace Saison this week. I will include that as well 👍

trying out @strange-steve 's belgian dubbel he very kindly sent. i was looking forward to this one after hearing about it in the last competition this is one of my absolute favorite styles.

pours a very nice perfectly clear cherry wood brown with a small head that dissapated quite quickly leaving a small ring around the edge.

the aroma is wonderful, dark rich belgian candy syrup, rich pilsner malt and some alcohol that meshes really well. there might even be a slight hint of woody tobacco if i am trying really hard. i am not getting much if any fruity esters.

taste is quite sweet, malty and dark brown sugar, a bit of maple and makes me think of a maple pecan plait. its a bit coating on the tongue and lingers as the alcohol smoothly takes over. some very slight apple at the end. very low bitterness. im curious about the yeast used because its seems to be a very mild one that doesn't kick off some of the typical fruitiness you get from chimay or more moderate westmalle.

this is a really good take on a belgian dubbel, the aroma is really outstanding. to the last drop i couldn't keep my nose out of the glass. the one small issue i have with it is it drinks more as a winter wamer or belgian winter ale, if you want it to be a little closer to style you might want to increase the carbonation (this could have been a bottle issue though). this would definitely help with giving it a lighter mouthfeel that is more to style. although i was perfectly content sipping this one and letting it linger. also this is very preferential, but i would like to have a bit more bitterness in there. i like hops though so again this is nitpicking, but maybe a heavier 20 min addition or something of that nature.

thanks for sending this over, its a really good recipe and very well made.

20200718_173452.jpg

Last edited:
Next up, a Trappist single from @dave_77 who popped round today. He brought several beers but I must confess to being both excited and just a little scared of the 8% Belgian Dubbel after several beers today - maybe I’ll chance that tomorrow! 😂

The single is “only” 5% so I’m happy to give that a go ;). Hopped with Mittlefrueh and Saaz, this beer is very pale in appearance. Not quite crystal clear when held to the light but not far off. The pour easily produced a nice fluffy white head that dissipated quickly leaving a ring of bubbles round the edge of the glass.

You can smell the malt and the nobel hops, and you can smell the flip-flops of the Trappist monks (I might be taking a liberty here but what I really mean is that everything smells right).

The beer is more carbonated than I expected from the pour. I could feel a fizz on my lips as they touched the beer and could still feel that fizz over my tongue and down my throat.

The bitterness from this beer is mild and clean and the beer is equally clean in flavour. I like it and I’m looking forward to the Dubbel - Probably!

i was feeling lucky after the last one so thinking about sitting this one out for the same reason as you. but who knows maybe ill send him a saison.

Go for it - nothing to loose but your self-esteem 😂

Seriously, most of us produce good beer most of the time and occasional beers that are awful or amazing - what makes us home brewers!

Thanks @Pennine for the feedback, much appreciated, and you're definitely right about the carbonation, it's too low for the style. It was fermented with WLP530, the Westmalle strain, but on the cool end. I like the fruitiness from Belgian yeasts but I don't enjoy the funkiness that comes with high temperature fermentations so I tend to err on the side of caution. Although I made a mental note after this batch to pitch a degree higher the next time I used this yeast, which I did with my quad/stout thing that's in the secondary now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back