What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah @Hazelwood Brewery I'm im very interested to see how you keg and serve. it seems like you pour a lot of clear beers and maintain a ton of selection. are you keg conditioning? do you ferment in those kegs too?

I am keg conditioning and of course have several kegs. Hang on, I’ll grab some pics.. In the meantime another Saison!

F736234F-FCDD-4780-A988-AAAA9FC7F497.jpeg

I use a basic cygnet boiler to mash and boil though I do re-circulate throughout the mash.

The wort then goes in a basic plastic bucket. In this pic you can see one on the floor of my “shed” because I have a Saison! in the fermentation cupboard at 26C.

02837283-5BBA-48E1-A7BA-C335A4A1F7FE.jpeg

When they’ve finished fermenting they go in a keg and spend 2-12 weeks conditioning. 2 weeks for an IPA, 4 weeks for a bitter, 6-8 weeks for brown ales and the like, 12 weeks for really dark and stronger beers like my sweet stout. Here are some of my kegs...

E5920CDB-E6AC-4905-9115-91B1E99A851E.jpeg

The fermentation cupboard is shown in this pic..

8A803C7A-B453-4D07-99DF-C48BB0BABA13.jpeg

I carbonate by injecting CO2 and simply pour from the keg.

I have more kegs in the garage too.

I don’t believe there’s any great secret, it’s mostly time and conditioning I think.

Poperings Hommelbier as part of my holiday Belgian mixed case accompanied by Michael Jackson's classic tome. Always like an educational project 😁

Very impressed. Much sweeter than I expected with a big golden syrup character and orangey fruit. Neither the 7.5% or 40 IBUs are immediately obvious but the palate is dry with a lovely, distinct hoppy flavour. Heady but not with alcohol.
I always fetch hommelbier back from my belgian raids. It's amazing that leroy have one of the best (hommelbier) and one of the worst beers on their books (leroy stout)

I use a basic cygnet boiler to mash and boil though I do re-circulate throughout the mash.

The wort then goes in a basic plastic bucket. In this pic you can see one on the floor of my “shed” because I have a Saison! in the fermentation cupboard at 26C.

View attachment 30398

When they’ve finished fermenting they go in a keg and spend 2-12 weeks conditioning. 2 weeks for an IPA, 4 weeks for a bitter, 6-8 weeks for brown ales and the like, 12 weeks for really dark and stronger beers like my sweet stout. Here are some of my kegs...

View attachment 30399

The fermentation cupboard is shown in this pic..

View attachment 30400

I carbonate by injecting CO2 and simply pour from the keg.

I have more kegs in the garage too.

I don’t believe there’s any great secret, it’s mostly time and conditioning I think.
ah that's a great setup! have you considered sticking a airco unit in there to cool the whole cabinet down? I know you said you like your beer warm though. does it get too warm in there during warm weeks like this?

ah that's a great setup! have you considered sticking a airco unit in there to cool the whole cabinet down? I know you said you like your beer warm though. does it get too warm in there during warm weeks like this?

I do keep toying with the idea of air con and I think I will do it because I have too many kegs to use things like cooling jackets - and I have been looking at air con units a lot recently!

I do like beers at ambient temperatures but as you say 20C is too warm and starts to affect the flavour. At the moment the shed is 19C and on the edge. 18C would normally be my upper limit for cask ales.

Went for a number nice long walk with the Mrs and the youngest along the prom between Trusthorpe and Sutton in Sea. Popped into the beach bar at Sutton, had a pint if staropramem, which was ok. Walked back, drive home and have accidentally poured myself s pint of will-not-clear Kolsch, which just as the kegs is getting to the end.... Wait for it..... Has cleared.

Another pint, just so I could get a photo to show you how the will-not-clear Kolsch has started to clear. I think there are about 4 pints left in the keg. (The weird white stuff at the bottom of the glass is etching)

IMG_20200804_220812.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back