What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I tried Vocation Love & Hate and was quite surprised - I didn’t enjoy it!

It looked interesting and several people seem to like it but not do much to my taste, it tasted fruity then bitter and finished dirty (not in a good way asad.), like orange peel pith almost.

Tonight I’m back on solid ground with my “Trinity” brown ale. Hmmmm!

PS Love Punk IPA @pms67
Yeah it’s my go to beer when stocks are low.
I’m waiting on An Ankoù making a Punk clone!!! No pressure mate

Dark malts are nice but small quantities are required to get the best results in my view.

There's a tiny amount (1.9%) of black malt in this one, most of the dark part of the malt bill is chocolate. But it still gives a slight astringency that I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a bit sensitive to. I do get a bit funny with some flavours - I can't live with S04 and also CML real ale yeasts, for example, because I get a tartness with those that ruins a beer for me, even though it's very slight. I'm a flavour wierdo! :laugh8:

There's a tiny amount (1.9%) of black malt in this one, most of the dark part of the malt bill is chocolate. But it still gives a slight astringency that I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a bit sensitive to. I do get a bit funny with some flavours - I can't live with S04 and also CML real ale yeasts, for example, because I get a tartness with those that ruins a beer for me, even though it's very slight. I'm a flavour wierdo! :laugh8:

Maybe try a caramalt with a middling EBC -perhaps in the 300-500 range?

I don’t like any of those yeasts either, much better options available

I agree, definite sharpness to the CML real ale. Not just you my friend :beer1:

Have you tried hot or cold steeping the roasted grains? If making a porter, oatmeal stout or mild I cold steep the grains to eliminate any astringency. Irish Stout I mash the roasted grains to get the astringency flavour that you get with a Guinness.

Have you tried hot or cold steeping the roasted grains?

I kind of have a 'feeling' about mild (in its many guises in history) - it's a working man's drink that was brewed in bulk to be enjoyed in bulk. So I want to perfect it using simple methods that sort of fit with that feeling. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I think is should be rubbish or substandard, but fantastic in its simplicity. If I was brewing something a bit more grand, or fancy, like an imperial whatnot or something, then if happily embrace cold steeping but I just don't think it suits the style. It's probably a daft theory, but that's the great thing about home-brewing, you get to be the mad eccentric owner of your own brewery (but without putting a while workforce's livelihoods at risk!) acheers.

This beautifully hoppy IPA by 8 Degrees, incredibly fruity and juicy and downright delicious.
PS. Excuse the terrible pour, bloody activator glass :roll:
SRF1SiV.jpg
tsk, tsk steve u should know better :laugh8:. duval glasses for beer thats under carbed :tongue:

um...
diablo 8% belgian duvel style beer
star city dipa (like a mr. president but 7.4% - however 440ml instead of 330ml) athumb..
mango tango 2
mr president
and to finish off st. bernadus abt 12 (the 10%) one.... happy days :laugh8:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back