What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilko triple ipa it's not bad I put 500g of dme in and 500g of dem sugar used the 10g of first gold hops, its very nice
IMG_20200229_205205.jpg

Tried a glass of my Pelvis Juice last night and will be having a couple of pints tonight, lovely and Juicy has 1 Ltr of OJ, 3 Blood Orange and juices of + 3 Grapefruits and Juices of and 1/2 Ltr of Clementine Juice, Lush

5C3C1BB3-8764-4551-B402-58D09182721B.jpeg
I didn’t get through all the beers last night (one of my conditioning IPAs is better conditioned than I thought) but I still had these four.

The Shapeshifter was awful to me but the others were all nice. The Easy Peeler would be really good on a hot day- light, fruity, very effervescent. The winner would have to be one of the London Porter or the can of stout. Maybe the can.

Your a legend. I land to my mates I get offered cans of harp or carlsbeg
Harp or Carlsberg? You don't know you're born. We have to make do with a broken teapot with old ditchwater in it and a drop of gravy browning, if we're lucky. At Christmas.

679DB0F9-3F4C-4396-9CE5-A9ECE18A83A1.jpeg
Started a little early maybe but it’s sunny and it’s Sunday. This is not a bad drop of juice, it’s citrusy, there’s a nice biscuit malt, and a nice soft mouthfeel which I guess is from the oats. Given it’s description though it’s not as hazy as I was expecting!

I would have expected that to be quite hazy if its described as juicy through just the amount of hops used to get the juice or from any juice added, mind you if it tastes nice thats ok its when you get a Juice thats not really a Juice

I would have expected that to be quite hazy if its described as juicy through just the amount of hops used to get the juice or from any juice added, mind you if it tastes nice thats ok its when you get a Juice thats not really a Juice

The ingredients list flaked wheat and flaked oats so they put the haze in at the beginning - maybe someone forgot to tell the operations manager to bypass the filtration systems on this brew!

yes it does look like its been filtered to me too. I have never had a problem creating haze with plenty of hops/dryhops and juice which I add to some and let ferment out they are generally hazy to the last couple of pints which may start to clear slightly even over time they stay hazy. I also use oats (plain porridge oats) in all my beers and I think they do not add to haziness unless you use loads as I use them in all my beers and the non-hoppy ones are always clear especially british styles possibly because of the smaller amount of hops and no dry hop

I don’t think I’ve ever had haziness from hops last more than two or three weeks.

I believe that lower percentages of oats give a softer mouthfeel but don’t really haze the beer until you head toward 20%. I’ve just made my first hazy IPA though so I’m certainly no expert in this area.

I don’t think I’ve ever had haziness from hops last more than two or three weeks.

I believe that lower percentages of oats give a softer mouthfeel but don’t really haze the beer until you head toward 20%. I’ve just made my first hazy IPA though so I’m certainly no expert in this area.
My understanding is high percentage of flaked oats and wheat plus adding hops at the start of fermentation. I bottle my beer which I think makes it next to impossible to get the Neipa look. It ends up turning brown

My understanding is high percentage of flaked oats and wheat plus adding hops at the start of fermentation. I bottle my beer which I think makes it next to impossible to get the Neipa look. It ends up turning brown

I’m going for a hazy IPA rather than a full-on NEIPA so hopefully less likely to suffer the same fate. I’ll be kegging mine but will put some in bottles to see how it turns out and to enter the monthly competition perhaps.

Hi Samale the brown colouring usually indicates Oxidisation, does it taste different when it changes color?
Yes it's oxidizing and it has a major effect on the hops. Which is a nightmare when you consider the cost that goes into making one

People report like a wet cardboard taste of oxidation. It leaves the beer not very appealing. Like a murky brown puddle and kills flavour

I never have a problem but technically I am not using a NEIPA yeast just do a hazy IPA don't know if that has a bearing on it. I just do my normal transfer etc infact sometimes I take the hops out I transfer to a second FV to crash for a couple of days. I read off so many having oxidisation issues and can not get my head around it why when so many go to the trouble of closed transfers etc, maybe I am just lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back