What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's oxidizing and it has a major effect on the hops. Which is a nightmare when you consider the cost that goes into making one

If it’s good before bottling could you be leaving too much head space? Other options might include not enough priming sugar or caps not properly sealed. All of these would likely result in low carbonation. How’s the carbonation when you crack one open?

drinking a Azacca Smash but not technically correct as I added some cascade as a hop tea as was not happy with the Azacca and its mellowed nicely now

I haven't tried to brew one in a while the last one I had was a friend's. From what I have read online it comes from the high percentage of oats which reacts and turns the colour. I think best results are from a keg or as some do. A closed transfer

I'm back, survived okay, now have a new left hip and I'm as weak as a kitten! Dunno why, but I thought a hip replacement was supposed to be easier than a knee replacement! :confused.: I will just put it down to Old Age and take things easy for the next few weeks. athumb..

Many thanks for all the Good Wishes athumb.. athumb.. ...

... and if SWMBO keeps looking after me I will need every one of them! aheadbutt

Yesterday I felt good enough for a pint so, as I took down the shed key, my good lady jumped in with "You're NOT going out there. Tell me what you want and I'll fetch it."

So, not wanting a PB to run out of oomph or a glass of foam (and knowing that she has the patience of a striking cobra) I discounted the PB full of Bitter and the Growler containing Sweet Newkie Brown.

"I'll have an IPA." I said with confidence "It's in the left hand tall shiny keg on the table. Remember to push the tap backwards when you've finished."

My good lady disappeared for 15 minutes or so before returning empty handed with the words "All the tap would do is go round and round." my smile became somewhat fixed as I asked through gritted teeth "Which tap was this?"

"The one on the big white plastic thingy." set my pulse racing so the question "Did it leak?" slipped out before I could move.

"Leak? No! I've just told you it delivered nothing and just kept turning round."

My jaws came even tighter clenched when I said "Why weren't you getting a pint from the left hand tall shiny keg on the table?" and received the classical (known to ALL married men) answer "YOU never mentioned a tall shiny keg!"

I let her go back (mainly to check that nothing was leaking) and she returned with a pint of cloudy Grapefruit IPA that just didn't taste as nice as I expected. asad.

Today's offering tasted better. Tomorrow I will go and get my own pint :beer1:and check for leaks!

Thanks again!

Signing off knackered! :coat:

I'm back, survived okay, now have a new left hip and I'm as weak as a kitten! Dunno why, but I thought a hip replacement was supposed to be easier than a knee replacement! :confused.: I will just put it down to Old Age and take things easy for the next few weeks. athumb..

Many thanks for all the Good Wishes athumb.. athumb.. ...

... and if SWMBO keeps looking after me I will need every one of them! aheadbutt

Yesterday I felt good enough for a pint so, as I took down the shed key, my good lady jumped in with "You're NOT going out there. Tell me what you want and I'll fetch it."

So, not wanting a PB to run out of oomph or a glass of foam (and knowing that she has the patience of a striking cobra) I discounted the PB full of Bitter and the Growler containing Sweet Newkie Brown.

"I'll have an IPA." I said with confidence "It's in the left hand tall shiny keg on the table. Remember to push the tap backwards when you've finished."

My good lady disappeared for 15 minutes or so before returning empty handed with the words "All the tap would do is go round and round." my smile became somewhat fixed as I asked through gritted teeth "Which tap was this?"

"The one on the big white plastic thingy." set my pulse racing so the question "Did it leak?" slipped out before I could move.

"Leak? No! I've just told you it delivered nothing and just kept turning round."

My jaws came even tighter clenched when I said "Why weren't you getting a pint from the left hand tall shiny keg on the table?" and received the classical (known to ALL married men) answer "YOU never mentioned a tall shiny keg!"

I let her go back (mainly to check that nothing was leaking) and she returned with a pint of cloudy Grapefruit IPA that just didn't taste as nice as I expected. asad.

Today's offering tasted better. Tomorrow I will go and get my own pint :beer1:and check for leaks!

Thanks again!

Signing off knackered! :coat:

I’m in tears of laughter - you poor, poor, man! Got to love your wife though.

:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Welcome back!

IMG_20200302_214547269.jpg
Red rye IPA using red X alt for the first time. Mosiac and el Dorado hops. Nice

Dutto nice to see you back..it'll get easier. I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks as mine was not glued in so I was on crutches...and no beer! Just be mindful of those angles...

Dutto nice to see you back..it'll get easier. I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks as mine was not glued in so I was on crutches...and no beer! Just be mindful of those angles...

Many thanks! At my age apparently the surgeon uses adhesive in the hope that I will live long enough for it to set! athumb..

For the first time today, I took a good look at the top and back of my left thigh and immediately knew why it has been so fecking painful! It looks as if a very vengeful rugby team had been taking free-kicks at it and scored quite a few field-goals as a result; so I've still not ventured up to the shed but today:
  1. I had a pint of Sweet Newky Brown. ("It was a bit frothy but I just waited for it to settle a bit!" - WOW! :beer1:I'll make a Barmaid out of her yet!)
  2. "It was really warm in the shed and the red light was on!" As I've not been up there for over a week, I suspect ("hope" is probably a better word) that:
    • The "Red Light" means that the Inkbird is still controlling the fridge temperature and the Coopers Bitter is still fermenting; as opposed to SWMBO leaving the shed light on overnight.
    • It was "warm" because last night we had freezing weather and I have a small 500W heater set to come on just above "frost".
The Good News is that the Sweet Newky Brown tasted delicious! YAY! One for the Good Guys!

Had the first taste of an ale based on @foxbat 's Outback Ale, carbonation should increase a bit more I hope as it's only been in the bottle a week and the beer was extremely clear upon bottling, a week cold and CML Pia flocs like a rock. Going to have a try of the other half of the batch, which was fermented with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, later on then ignore them until I'm back from my next hitch.

Just had the beer primed with the Haribo Tangfastics dummy. It had grown again from that picture, not that much but when laying against the side of the bottle it was just over half way. As I was pouring it the 'teet' slid through the mouth of the bottle and it looked like a tongue. It was a bit like this bit in Nightmare on Elm Street
726608160abf8a7fc4697c3d4f3d4f0c.jpg

Aaaaaanyway. There was carbonation but it wasn't enough. I'd double it to 12g of Haribo next time (next time???). The beer was the comedy bird food beer with the Belgian yeast. The Haribo seems to have toned down some of the funky flavours I was starting to get into from the other bottles and it was sort of like drinking mild orange squash. The flavour of the Haribo, though slight, really does make a difference and the one I tried the other day that had the cherries Haribo in it was more distinct and more 'fun'. I'd like to do beers for a party and I'd make sure I kept the flavours distinct for each bottle.

Success : partial. Good partial. Aaaand now I'm going to open the bottle made with Fruit Pastilles that I sort of don't have much faith in as they haven't swelled that much.

Had the first taste of an ale based on @foxbat 's Outback Ale, carbonation should increase a bit more I hope as it's only been in the bottle a week and the beer was extremely clear upon bottling, a week cold and CML Pia flocs like a rock. Going to have a try of the other half of the batch, which was fermented with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, later on then ignore them until I'm back from my next hitch.
Nothing splits opinion like Nelson Sauvin. I take it you're amongst those of us that like it?

Just had a bottle of The Range Stout. 2.2 litres kit with 300 grams of brown sugar. Brewed to 10 litres and ABV of 7.3% really good.

Drinking my Mosaic IPA today, followed by a Fullers and friends - Love on the run, and finally my Mosaic black IPA.

Does anyone else get a soapy taste from Mosaic hops? Both my IPA and BIPA have a bitter soapy taste on the finish, it's my first time using Mosaic so maybe it's just not for me. Both beers were great before they were dry hopped, and nothing else is out of the ordinary with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back