What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
44EBBE09-8C6D-4878-A984-8EF0996E5FBF.jpeg
The last of my bought beers for tonight. It’s nice but I’m getting quite a hit of vanilla I wasn’t expecting. I love vanilla in my custard but not so much in my beer. It’s quite strong too at 7.5%.

I think in the end it might be the Belgian White that surprised me most. I may have to buy a couple more, you know, just to be sure.

Spent the weekend in York. Hoped to drink lots of Sam Smith's in the king's head. As per the photo, that didn't happen!
IMG_20200215_153353.jpg

So tried another San Smith's pub, Burns Hotel, which served a decent point of wooden cask OBB, but didn't have bottles of India Pale and unfortunately smelt of ****. Sorry, but it did.

Had plenty of nice cask ales in many other pubs, including Rudgates Ruby Mild, which is exceptional, possibly the best mild I have drank ever. And that's saying something from a Bateman's fanboy.

Home now, having a pint of my golden ale.

No brew york visit?
We've a Sam Smiths pub in Edinburgh if you get desperate.

No, this trip was all about pubs. I live in the countryside and now and again the good lady and I like to go and have a blow out in a city, except I hate cities, and York feels nice and town like to me so that's where we head! Still trying to find the perfect 'local' there ( which may or may not just be my excuse to drink in shed loads of pubs acheers.)

Yes nice place York but some prices can hurt,, l found Leeds much kinder on my wallet and plenty of quality pubs too.

Not tonight, but I was in London at the weekend for a gig and did a pub crawl in the afternoon/evening. Maybe it was just because I'd walked a couple of miles and was gagging for a pint, but nipped into Brewdog and ordered a pint of Dead Pony. Wow. What a beer. It was so good I had to stay for another and nothing I tasted afterwards as we continued our crawl, tasted as good.

IMG_20200217_222302.jpg
a few from the Beerwulf box...
Left to right...
1,harsh alcohol at over 6%...tastes more like a wheat to me!
2, disappointed... massively over carbed! Could hardly pour it...subtle herbal (?) taste..
3, WIP...drinkable if underwhelming..
4,the best by far! Clean taste with superb caramel malt! I would get more of this!

Having a night off the beer - on wine instead. First bottle of Apple & Elderflower (cordial) - and it's Amazing!
Closest thing I have ever made to a commercial white wine by myself. Clear crisp and more like a chardonnay. The elderflower has faded and mellowed but has given just enough to lift it from being an apple wine. I would swear it was grape. I have bought far FAR worse for hard cash, and is such a simple juice wine. - I'm hooked!

I gave a bottle to next door as they only seem to drink white wine, so will see what they think. I think this is the first time I have been happy enough to share it. Next step - 4 more demijhons of it!

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at
9976f910-0337-41c9-a391-0bf1ab1375eb-jpeg.23167
5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would brew it straight again & age it 2 years. I know a lot of people on here knock kits but it’s a great way for a quick brew & to build up inventory, gives you more chance to age the ones you want to. Patience pays dividends as we all know & this beer is a perfect example. Cheers.

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would brew it straight again & age it 2 years. I know a lot of people on here knock kits but it’s a great way for a quick brew & to build up inventory, gives you more chance to age the ones you want to. Patience pays dividends as we all know & this beer is a perfect example. Cheers.

I hate to say it but you’ve nailed my biggest issue with kits they take much longer to be ready to drink in my experience with all grain you can go grain to glass in 2-3 weeks, with a kit I find you need 2-3 months, meaning I need a much bigger pipeline. However sometimes love the really short brew day and with the right kit you can get a pretty decent pint.

As for what I’m drinking a pint of my Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild, this has now had 7 weeks in the keg and sadly unlike a stout I think it has lost something with age, that or I just like my Milds green.

DAB06F3F-F182-4B24-A4EF-9F122BF85868.jpeg

Grain to glass in 2_3weeks wow I mabe interested in trying a small batch of this, is there any quick brews to try. Anyone.

Most of my iPa's are being drunk in 3-4 weeks and some never make it to 6 weeks before they're gone!
Depending on yeast used - 5 days primary fermentation, 5 day drop hop and bottle. Depending on how warm my office is, 7-14 days to fully carb - time to quaff!!!
I often sample the beer as it's carbing too, just to see how the flavour profile changes as it's fizzed up. Really incredible how it changes!

Grain to glass in 2_3weeks wow I mabe interested in trying a small batch of this, is there any quick brews to try. Anyone.

it is very style dependent, IPAs work well as do session bitters. S-04 can ferment out a batch it 3-4 days at 20 degrees, plus a few days to, settle out you can be ready to bottle within a week. A week to carb and in some cases you can be ready to drink this is especially true with a Kweik yeast. Normally I would say three weeks rather than two and ESB’s, stout#etc benefit from longer maturity.

This thread has an excellent guide to doing a 5L batch on your stove https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/it’s also a great intro to all grain brewing, I find citra or mosaic hops lend themselves well to quick brews.

Last edited:
Thanks for that I will have a go, was thinking of adding a little AG to a festival landlord I've got to do also.

Yes nice place York but some prices can hurt,, l found Leeds much kinder on my wallet and plenty of quality pubs too.
Nice... I'm on a 5 day course in Leeds arriving 1st March, so already have an evening in brewdog and an evening at the head of steam planned only 3 more evenings to fill :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back