What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been feeling under the weather since Tuesday (nothing more exciting than common cold). Put some effort in today trimming trees so worked up a thirst.
One each of: my Summer Lightning clone, Stockpile IPA and a Not Red lager (finally the diacetyl has gone woo-hoo!).

Now a brief excursion to the dark side with my London Porter clone
View attachment 33284
I feel your pain. I spent all day up a roof. Only good thing was the view
IMG_20200926_165002040_HDR.jpg

Being a massive Duvel fan, i didnt realise there was a triple hop citra version available in Tescos until i joined this forum. all i acn say is WOW

@strange-steve I was going to brew a few Belgian style beers. Undecided on the yeast, first brew will be a dubbel. I was thinking maybe using wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. Any thoughts
Good man thumb.
Wy3522 is a great yeast, one of my favourites for Belgian pale ales but it works really well in lots of styles and I'm sure it'll make a good dubbel. It's probably on the cleaner end of Belgian strains if that's what you're after. My goto yeast for most Belgian brews though is WLP530, the Westmalle strain. It's hardy, reliable, and has a really nice flavour profile which is easy to manipulate with temperature control.

Good man thumb.
Wy3522 is a great yeast, one of my favourites for Belgian pale ales but it works really well in lots of styles and I'm sure it'll make a good dubbel. It's probably on the cleaner end of Belgian strains if that's what you're after. My goto yeast for most Belgian brews though is WLP530, the Westmalle strain. It's hardy, reliable, and has a really nice flavour profile which is easy to manipulate with temperature control.
Good stuff I did get a look at your dubbel recipe. The plan is a dubbel, treble, quad and a stout. The treble and quad will be only 10 litre brews. Just doing a load of research at the minute. 👍

Good stuff I did get a look at your dubbel recipe. The plan is a dubbel, treble, quad and a stout. The treble and quad will be only 10 litre brews. Just doing a load of research at the minute. 👍
That sounds like a great plan and either Wy3522 or WLP530 will work great acheers.

Drinking @matt76 #50 styrian wolf golden ale.

A really strong piney aroma on the pour, good thick creamy head, well carbed. Perfectly carbed I think.

Colour, golden, unfortunately I poured yeast in which makes it look lazier than it should be.

Taste, citrus, but not overly so, totally different to the aroma which initially was a suprise but nice. A little bit of maltiness, slightly bready perhaps? I'd say on the higher end of hop bitterness for the style but certainly not overpowering with a medium body.

I like a pale ale, and I like this one, I could certainly see myself sinking many of these on a sunny summer afternoon in a beer garden. This is a very good beer matt, sorry that I've made it hazy with a bad pour.
20200926_224318.jpg

2nd @matt76 ale of the night, #54 rainy days hazy ipa.

What a different beast to the last one.

Big thick creamy head, perfectly carbed again in my opinion, looks hazy, grapefruit juice esque.

Aroma, initially less of an aroma than the pale, however as it warms theres a definite citrus, tropical fruit aroma and as it warms it gets more intense.

Taste, a barrage to the senses, high hop flavour and very bitter, very little sweetness but the bitterness doesnt linger for long. Quite a dry finish.

Medium bodied again I'd say, very dificult to judge how strong this is, I mean, I read the bottle top so I know its 5.5% but I reckon this could be anywhere from about 4-8%.

This is another lovely beer, it reminds me of one of the thornbridge ales. It's not my favourite style of beer, but it is to the style and a lovely beer. I reckon
20200926_232136.jpg
if you like hazy ipa's you'll love this one

Is there a link to the recipe anywhere? No problem if not and don't worry. i am just over eagerly enthused.

nd @matt76 ale of the night, #54 rainy days hazy ipa.

Big thick creamy head, perfectly carbed again in my opinion, looks hazy, grapefruit juice esque.

Aroma, initially less of an aroma than the pale, however as it warms theres a definite citrus, tropical fruit aroma and as it warms it gets more intense.

Taste, a barrage to the senses, high hop flavour and very bitter, very little sweetness but the bitterness doesnt linger for long. Quite a dry finish.

Medium bodied again I'd say, very dificult to judge how strong this is, I mean, I read the bottle top so I know its 5.5% but I reckon this could be anywhere from about 4-8%.

This is another lovely beer, it reminds me of one of the thornbridge ales. It's not my favourite style of beer, but it is to the style and a lovely beer. I reckon
20200926_232136.jpg

Is there a link to the recipe anywhere? No problem if not and don't worry. i am just over eagerly enthused.

20200926_232136.jpg

Hi Bazzac, @matt76 posts his brewdays/recipes here matt76's Brewdays

20200926_232136.jpg

@bazzac you can find it here 👍🍻

From a beer hawk gift set.

The final beverage of the evening.

IPA. Tropical. Grapefruit. Pineapple. 5.6%

Attachments

• 20200927_001458.jpg
    20200927_001458.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 94
"Wheal Rose Baltic Porter" by @pilgrimhudd

DSC_8309.JPG

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring and a thin head remains; good lacing

Colour - Looks black, but actually a very deep reddish brown.

Aroma - Malty, and I swear I'm getting a hint of treacle.

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Well carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

Taste - Really nice dark caramelized flavours, like almost-burnt toffee, plus a hint of liquorice.

Overall - This is a nice beer at the more drinkable end of the spectrum for this style. I shall await @pilgrimhudd 's verdict on my own recent interpretation of the style!

"Wheal Rose Baltic Porter" by @pilgrimhudd

View attachment 33304

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring and a thin head remains; good lacing

Colour - Looks black, but actually a very deep reddish brown.

Aroma - Malty, and I swear I'm getting a hint of treacle.

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Well carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

Taste - Really nice dark caramelized flavours, like almost-burnt toffee, plus a hint of liquorice.

Overall - This is a nice beer at the more drinkable end of the spectrum for this style. I shall await @pilgrimhudd 's verdict on my own recent interpretation of the style!

Early start matt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back