What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must send you up a beer if your up for a swap. I have a cardamom & coriander saison fermenting or maybe my raw oatmeal stout, or my take on @Pennine imperial stout.
Sorry mate I realised I forgot to reply to this. Yes deffo up for a swap. I have a beer to enter the competition so I'll send another along with it thumb. Can you pm your address?

I bought some Flaked Spelt Oats yesterday any thoughts of where I use them. They are not malted but I read because they're flaked they can be added to a normal infusion mash.

Off work this week and the weather is terrible today (good excuse right?).
IMG_20200929_120458_403.jpg

I just had Oneflewover's extremely interesting brett quad for my review thread:
wWiym5T.jpg

I thought I'd have one of my own brett quad/stouts afterwards for comparison, and I've just noticed how much sourness there is in mine, to the point where it's creeping towards being a quad/stout/oud bruin crossover which is exactly as wierd as it sounds :?:

All this talk about Brett quads is making me want to open one up. Maybe the next one, for now drinking another hazy ipa on a shitty day.

20200929_180408.jpg

I just had Oneflewover's extremely interesting brett quad for my review thread:
wWiym5T.jpg

I thought I'd have one of my own brett quad/stouts afterwards for comparison, and I've just noticed how much sourness there is in mine, to the point where it's creeping towards being a quad/stout/oud bruin crossover which is exactly as wierd as it sounds :?:
That looks amazing.

image.jpeg
Bought some beer from Bargain Branded foods yesterday. Supposively ood but bottled August 2019. Really nice but it was brewed in Belgium for US market, how did it get to Wigan? 50p a can but only bought the one of these.

@dave_77 popped round this afternoon with a box under his arm, nice one Dave athumb..

Starting with his Belgian Pale but I’ve no idea how strong it is - I’ll find out shortly!😉.

A gentle hiss on opening and a foamy head slowly rose up the neck, formed a bubble mound on top of the bottle, and finally spilled over and down the side of the bottle. Through the pour the softly carbonated beer formed a small head that dissipated after a minute or two leaving a narrow ring of bubbles round the glass. The beer is crystal clear and a lovely dark copper colour.

The aroma is a heady and complex blend typical of Belgian ales - alcohol, dark fruit, sweet malt, but also with hints of smoked bacon and mushroom umami.

The flavours are much like the aroma but with a little clove and a slight tartness, not sour. There’s just a touch of astringency on the roof of my mouth but barely noticeable.

I’ve been missing a Belgian ale over the last few days so this one was timed perfectly and helped my craving - thank you Dave!

868641ED-E4F4-4266-803D-9728BD493CA3.jpeg

A pint of my Summer Breeze. It’s starting to come good now after my experiment with dry hopping. I normally dry hop once on day 7 for 5 days but tried a dry hop addition every day from day 5 until day 11. It made the beer a little more bitter than intended and the beer has taken longer to condition. I don’t think there has been any beneficial result so I’ll go back to my regular dry-hop regime. I also worry the daily lifting of the fermenter lid has oxidised my beer judging by it’s colour, it’s normally a more clean orange colour - thankfully, it doesn’t taste oxidised, yet.

7F8ED820-BE38-4180-A109-28288BFCB665.jpeg

Drinking @matt76 9% Baltic Porter....thought i'd better write this as i'm drinking it as i'll be no good after..... 'hick'

I've been looking forward to this one since it arrived last week or so...

Pours well, lovely hiss as it goes into to the glass, good head which lasts half the glass or so.

A very mild aroma, malty if anything.

Seems perfectly carbonated (i've only got my baltic porter effort to go on here). Pitch black, beautifully dark.

Taste, sweet and clean with an immediate coffee finish, mild dark fruit, a little bit of liquorice. Slight hoppy bitterness. It tastes strong, very strong but perhaps not quite 9% strong, I had a 330ml bottle and I certainly feel it.

Mouthfeel, full bodied and smooth as it's supposed to be (apparently).

I loved it, I was surprised by how similar yet different our two baltic porters are, i guess the 3% difference in ABV plays some part in that. I think this could do with another couple of months conditioning, i'd love to try another one in December to see what difference that will have made. Looking at the BJCP notes it seems I got more coffee than i should have, however that said it pretty much ticks every other box. This is a great beer.

thumbnail.jpg

Well it was more like 'this afternoon' ..
Pal took my car for MOT ( I cant drive due to a recent operation) & we had to wait a while. Car failed on brake pads but they replaced them straight away and that gave us time for a pint.

I had 'a bottle of dog'
Not had that since 6th form days!
Too gassy though now for my more mature palet. Wot wot. 😆

My next is @samale Black Rye IPA. Using t58 yeast we discussed this after I was talking about brewing my belgian stout with t58, so i've really been looking forward to this, it sounds right up my street although i've never knowingly drunk a beer with Rye in it before.

Anyway... poured nicely, big thick creamy head, well carbonated.

Aroma, mainly cascade i think, piney, resinous perhaps almost herby!

Appearance, Black, perhaps not jet black, but black.

Flavour, A malty almost peppery taste gives way to a hoppy bitterness, again piney/herby. Perhaps not as dry as the BJCP notes suggest, I definitely get some sweetness. I have no idea what the ABV is in this one... I guess at 5 ish, it doesn't seem particularly strong but i could be wrong!

Mouthfeel, medium bodied.

My first Rye beer, and I like it. It's a very nice IPA, very hoppy but not overly so and I love the dark malts/rye flavours. It gets better as it warms, I had it chilled, I could easily sink a few of these but definitely want to know what the ABV is!
thumbnail (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back