What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One from last night. I'm in love with my new 1l stein, I can fit a whole 660ml bottle in a glass finally. Makes bottling day easier!
IMG_20201016_183603_061.jpg

Yes, I think GS is much better on draught, one of my go-to pints, if I see it!!

I knew I would of enjoyed it, I already got the lemon during the week. I don't have Citra so I am going to sub with Azacca....
Tbh I only used citra because I had it in the freezer, but any fruity/citrusy hop will do the job. If choosing hops specifically for this I would have probably picked ekuanot or sorachi ace to really compliment the lemon. I really want to brew an orange version of this with orange zest rather than lemon and amarillo and mandarina bavaria hops.

SWMBO has arrived with a new one for me for tonight (and a couple of old favourites) i have been wanting to try one of these so happy days.

View attachment 34200

Skip to 3:40 if you want to go straight to the taste. (ignore the glass)

This is now on my favourites list and i have another in the fridge for later.

Tbh I only used citra because I had it in the freezer, but any fruity/citrusy hop will do the job. If choosing hops specifically for this I would have probably picked ekuanot or sorachi ace to really compliment the lemon. I really want to brew an orange version of this with orange zest rather than lemon and amarillo and mandarina bavaria hops.
I have 225g of Sorachi ace 👌

Having @samale RedX IPA

Pours a hazy reddish brown, head is nice and light brown, which is very interesting for this light of a beer.
Aroma is lemon citrus, hoppy resinous, kind of a wheat twang and some nice fruity malt.
Taste is a really smooth balanced hoppy yet malty flavour, the hoppiness is not very clear to me and its a bit fruity, orange might be the closest, piney and resinous but not overly strong, the bitterness is light but lingers to the end. The malt is sweet and quite flavourful, toast with orange jam, a bit of caramel and some raisins or dark dried stone fruit as it warms up there is a hint of alcohol and the malt gets stronger than the hops.
This is a really good version of a red IPA. It has a really big unique fruity flavour that is quite a treat to drink. I think the hops may be a bit mellow on this as it is likely a couple months old, and that would be my one recommendation to up the hops a bit. But again I think its is very likely they have just faded over time and this is one to drink fresher. I am curious about the recipe, specifically the malt bill. Is this a entirely redX? I think the hops are more classic american ones, like cascade, amarillo or chinook but maybe I am wrong.
Thanks for the beer! This is a really good recipe for a red IPA.

20201017_150620.jpg

Zider... Wild ferment of Harry Masters Jersey and Ellis Bitter blended with some oak aged Foxwhelp. Bone dry and excellent with some dim sum from the Chinese supermarket.

Attachments

• 16029555890358064120184529681282.jpg
    16029555890358064120184529681282.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Having @samale RedX IPA

Pours a hazy reddish brown, head is nice and light brown, which is very interesting for this light of a beer.
Aroma is lemon citrus, hoppy resinous, kind of a wheat twang and some nice fruity malt.
Taste is a really smooth balanced hoppy yet malty flavour, the hoppiness is not very clear to me and its a bit fruity, orange might be the closest, piney and resinous but not overly strong, the bitterness is light but lingers to the end. The malt is sweet and quite flavourful, toast with orange jam, a bit of caramel and some raisins or dark dried stone fruit as it warms up there is a hint of alcohol and the malt gets stronger than the hops.
This is a really good version of a red IPA. It has a really big unique fruity flavour that is quite a treat to drink. I think the hops may be a bit mellow on this as it is likely a couple months old, and that would be my one recommendation to up the hops a bit. But again I think its is very likely they have just faded over time and this is one to drink fresher. I am curious about the recipe, specifically the malt bill. Is this a entirely redX? I think the hops are more classic american ones, like cascade, amarillo or chinook but maybe I am wrong.
Thanks for the beer! This is a really good recipe for a red IPA.

View attachment 34260
Really happy you enjoyed it. It was all redx malt 6.5kg with 100g each of centennial El Dorado Amarillo.
I have another one made which I mixed with pilsner malt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back