What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Start the evening with my Idaho7, Simcoe & centennial IPA

IMG_20201028_184505.jpg

Just quality checking my dunkels bock before the October competition. This was the first beer I made following my Orval clone and I'm picking up just the slightest hint of brett in this. It's actually nice though, adds an interesting little background note and in case Samale sees this... um... it was intentional :rolleyes:
5Y7ORzM.jpg

Just quality checking my dunkels bock before the October competition. This was the first beer I made following my Orval clone and I'm picking up just the slightest hint of brett in this. It's actually nice though, adds an interesting little background note and in case Samale sees this... um... it was intentional :rolleyes:
5Y7ORzM.jpg
Do you have to use any special cleaner for fermenters that have had Brett in them?

Do you have to use any special cleaner for fermenters that have had Brett in them?
Not really, just a good thorough clean should do it. I might be wrong but I don't think brett is any more resilient than sacch, the difference is that it only requires a very small amount of brett to affect the flavour, given enough time. I've been using brett for years and this is the first one that has given me any cross-contamination issues, although it happened in the two beers that followed the Orval clone. Everything was deep cleaned with bleach when I noticed that, just to be sure.

Half a bottle of red with lunch, a sleep and onto the beers. After Home Hopped & Ghost, now onto Innkeepers Incompetence.

This was my first attempt at Summer Lightening, second tasting now 2 weeks in the bottle, thirst quenching with a lingering bitterness, not really a good session ale though. Will make it again and drop the ABV to 4.5%
View attachment 34588 View attachment 34589
I'm nearing the end of a barrel of Summer Lightning. I found it a little unbalanced. Could have been better either with lower bitterness or more hop flavour. That said, it turned out drinkable.
However I'm done with S04. I've given that yeast plenty chance and there's always an odd grainy cardboard flavour from the yeast. Can't imagine why it's so popular.

I'm nearing the end of a barrel of Summer Lightning. I found it a little unbalanced. Could have been better either with lower bitterness or more hop flavour. That said, it turned out drinkable.
However I'm done with S04. I've given that yeast plenty chance and there's always an odd grainy cardboard flavour from the yeast. Can't imagine why it's so popular.
Try and get hold of some CN-36, good for English and American beers, the students at Monash Uni did a comparison of CN-36 and US05 and the CN-36 came out slightly better. Extremely cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back