What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a Christmasy day today. The tree is up, mince pies are cooling...

And BEER!
IMG_20201114_131029.jpg
IMG_20201114_134043.jpg
IMG_20201114_141018.jpg
IMG_20201114_151914.jpg

The first was **** and I actually poured half away 😳 it had a horrible harsh aftertaste and was way over spiced. Half Pipe was OK, a cheap Aldi beer so can't complain. The Bravehop was pretty good, reminded me of my BIPA effort from a while back.

Last on the bill was my last bottle of chocolate rum stout from last year. It's been stuck in the back of my fridge for months because I couldn't bear to part with it. It has a lovely chocolate aroma, and has a lovely creamy head and mouthfeel to it. Dry and roasty and reminds me of a Guinness West Indian porter. If this wasn't my last bottle it would've been in this months competition.

Alright enough about commercial beers and back to homebrews, tasting @samale s dubbel he kindly sent me.

Pours out a reddish brown, hazy and very effervescent. The head lingers the entire glass with about 1cm of foam.
Aroma is light brown sugar, fruity citrus esters apple, orange and lemon, caramel malts and a bit of doughy yeast. Overall aroma is pretty mild
Flavour is light malty and belgian candi sugar, a bit of raisin or dried stone fruit and some coriander. It is very flavourful. Mouthfeel is very light and fades quickly with an earthy back of the tongue bitterness that is creeps up at the end. I am not getting any alcohol.
Overall this is a very drinkable beer, its light on the palate and the alcohol seems on the lower end. It goes down easy and is quite good. I had to reread the bjcp guide for a belgian dubbel as what I tend to reference is Westmalle, Chimay or Westvleteren. It seems like these are on the darker end of the spectrum and your's seems to run true to the bjcp style and a bit lighter. I really like the carbonation level in this. It made it drink light but wasn't overly done that foams up in your mouth. I wonder what a bit darker syrup would add to this, it may give it more complex flavours, not that there is anything wrong with what you have.
Nice job on this one, I enjoyed it!

View attachment 35623
That's the recipe I used. I would of liked a bit more flavour of the yeast. It was my first time using WLP 530. I pitched at 18 and slowly let it rise to 21. The abv was just under 7%
Belgian dubbel
3.5kg pilsner
500g wheat
500g Munich
250 caramunich 2
200g special W
200g Cara aroma
500g brown candy sugar
80g chocolate at mash out
18g Magnum @ 60mins

Yeast WLP 530

C0978A2F-6109-4AEF-9684-84219966D33B.jpeg
After one too many glasses of beer with little bubbles up the side and being told it was due to an unclean glass I decided to try hand washing my dishwasher cleaned glass before pouring, and damm it, it actually worked, as now I’m probably going to have to keep in doing it.

Beer is my ordinary bitter, 3.9% and the kind of beer I always like to have on tap, nothing terribly exciting but a pleasent beer for a quiet Saturday night. Cheers

That's the recipe I used. I would of liked a bit more flavour of the yeast. It was my first time using WLP 530. I pitched at 18 and slowly let it rise to 21. The abv was just under 7%
Belgian dubbel
3.5kg pilsner
500g wheat
500g Munich
250 caramunich 2
200g special W
200g Cara aroma
500g brown candy sugar
80g chocolate at mash out
18g Magnum @ 60mins

Yeast WLP 530
Yeah the westmalle yeast is a mild one for sure when done cold. I have had good luck with it when letting it up to 24/25c, you get more banana that's in their tripel. If you want a more unique character try the Chimay or Rochefort strains. Funny I suspected you had a complex grain bill in there. I have been wanting to brew one of these soon, I think I may.

@Mrhandsome what was the recipe you used. I love west Indies porter

Just checking my notes...
5l batch
1.05kg Maris Otter
110g med crystal
110g Chocolate
50g oats

35 IBUs of bittering hops @60mins (I used Chinook in this one)
10g of Hallertau hersbrucker @5mins

US West Coast yeast

I also added 25g of cocao nibs to the mash and 25g in a 50ml rum tincture to secondary.

My notes say I mashed at 69°C but I've since bought a digital thermometer which is always 2°C lower than my glass one - so probably 67°C

O.G. 1. 061
F.G. 1.011

M J American Pale Ale. One problem with home brew compared to bought bottled beer is that it seems to slip down quicker somehow. There must be a scientific explanation!
20201114_181507.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back