What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got nothing ready of my own, supporting the local brewery instead:

Bushys Oyster Stout. 👍🏻

IMG_0189.jpeg

It's from Three Floyds,an American wheat,pale, wheat and a bit of caravienna,all Amarillo,ferment with an ale yeast at normal ale temperature.

dragon beer 515.jpg

This is a HB Belgian Tripel (it's all I've been making for months). I've managed to land them all in the 14% ABV range. I only use time and cold to clear them. There's always a couple of ounces in the bottle that I leave out of the glass but drink. This one has been aged for four months. The recipe calls for 1.2 cups of priming sugar but I got the idea to try 3/4 cups. I wanted a non-foamy but carbonated beer. I think I made an error and should have used 7/8th.

I see that beer on the right all over the place here. I bought the Westmalle Tripel here (imported obviously). The imports don't fair well, quality-wise, for whatever reason. Somehow, oxidation gets to be an issue. Making the Westmalle Triple clone is the biggest hit ever with my relatives as even non-beer lovers like it.

Absolutely. Most of my beers are in kegs for up to three months. They’d probably last longer but I never give them the chance!
It seems less hassle than bottling a 25litre batch, do you have to top up with co2 much in the 3 months if at all? Do you also prime the same way you would with bottles? Sorry for all the questions

It seems less hassle than bottling a 25litre batch, do you have to top up with co2 much in the 3 months if at all? Do you also prime the same way you would with bottles? Sorry for all the questions

Questions are good, it’s how you learn. You can prime with sugar or you can just inject CO2. Priming with sugar is just the same for a keg as it is for bottles, think of the keg as one big bottle. Generally, you will need to occasionally top up with CO2 as you drink the beer and create more head space or the pressure will drop and your beer become less carbonated. In extreme situations you’ll not be able to serve beer without allowing air into the keg - don’t do that, it will oxidise your beer and ruin it. Topping up the CO2 can be done by re-priming or by injecting CO2.

If you prime with sugar and don’t drink very often you may just be lucky and not have to top up the CO2 at all because the yeast does still produce CO2 over time from residual sugars but only very slowly.

If on the other hand you get a taste for the beer and drink three or four pints in succession you may have to inject CO2 more often to fill the head space.

I used to use small 8g CO2 bulbs, many people use the larger soda steam CO2 bottles. I’ve now moved to fitting Schrader valves to my kegs, as shown in the picture, and I inject CO2 from my big CO2 bottle (6Kg) because it’s so much cheaper.

1828AFAA-3F48-44C2-A53B-13A51AB3A50C.jpeg

I’ve just checked and my oldest beer is a 6-month old sweet stout which tastes as good now as it ever has.

All beer will last longer if looked after. For best results keep it at lower temperatures, keep sun-light off it, and keep air (oxygen) away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back