What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a saison and I think this is starting to come together quite nicely now. I wanted a hint of white wine and orange and that’s what I’ve got. The beer has a little more conditioning time but it’s nearly there - just as well really because I’ve drunk quite a bit of it already.

00F1B788-B2C9-4D0F-A23F-5C82700780F9.jpeg

I mean GH lol
Do you find it still tastes of raspberries? I brewed the GH version a while ago but it wasn’t as fruity as I expected. If I remember correctly I simmered the fresh raspberries first in a pot to pasteurise them. It was only my second AG brew though!

I was tempted to retry it again soon though, using frozen raspberries and, as I’m running out of keg space, follow @Drunkula suggestion of bottling them. Seem to remember the American wheat yeast dropped quite clear.

Time for a saison and I think this is starting to come together quite nicely now. I wanted a hint of white wine and orange and that’s what I’ve got. The beer has a little more conditioning time but it’s nearly there - just as well really because I’ve drunk quite a bit of it already.

View attachment 28148
I love it when a beer changes so much during the course of its conditioning. Some beers don't do any of that, they're predictable and reach a point when they're simply "ready", beyond which you get nothing extra. My Saison was sadly like this. Good, but not spectacular.

Others, the special ones, they just keep morphing, delighting and blow your taste buds at each and every turn.

My Tribute Tribute for example (which to set the record straight is nothing like Tribute) is one of those. My jolly socks, it was so drinkable from the moment it came out of the FV. Yet tonight about a month later, and even moreso than yesterday, it has changed to a far more complex and seductive beast. Who knew that Admiral, Northern Brewer, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles and Tettnang on top of St Austell yeast could be quite so good?

I'm loving this. Cheers!

I love it when a beer changes so much during the course of its conditioning. Some beers don't do any of that, they're predictable and reach a point when they're simply "ready", beyond which you get nothing extra. My Saison was sadly like this. Good, but not spectacular.

Others, the special ones, they just keep morphing, delighting and blow your taste buds at each and every turn.

My Tribute Tribute for example (which to set the record straight is nothing like Tribute) is one of those. My jolly socks, it was so drinkable from the moment it came out of the FV. Yet tonight about a month later, and even moreso than yesterday, it has changed to a far more complex and seductive beast. Who knew that Admiral, Northern Brewer, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles and Tettnang on top of St Austell yeast could be quite so good?

I'm loving this. Cheers!

I’ve got two bottles of Proper Job ready to propagate up for my next few beers. Not used the St Austell yeast in years but it’s one of my favourites. A really mineral quality to it that works well in both malty and hoppy beers

I’ve got two bottles of Proper Job ready to propagate up for my next few beers. Not used the St Austell yeast in years but it’s one of my favourites. A really mineral quality to it that works well in both malty and hoppy beers
Go for it. I've lived and breathed this one. Expect to go through phases of:
  • Fruity
  • Clean
  • Smooth and creamy but bland
  • Carries hop flavour with a little fruitiness returning. Mineral is starting to show, but mainly as a quality in carrying flavour of hops.
Both out of the bottle and PB this has produced a wonderful creamy head, something I struggle with usually unless carbonating to greater than 2.5 volumes. The St Austell doesn't need that, it's just a creamy delight of a yeast.

I used @MyQul method of propagating yeast from bottles, shaking occasionally for the first couple of steps (in bottle), then on a stir plate for the last two steps.

I'd do it again.
Thinking of making it my house yeast.

Do you find it still tastes of raspberries? I brewed the GH version a while ago but it wasn’t as fruity as I expected. If I remember correctly I simmered the fresh raspberries first in a pot to pasteurise them. It was only my second AG brew though!

I was tempted to retry it again soon though, using frozen raspberries and, as I’m running out of keg space, follow @Drunkula suggestion of bottling them. Seem to remember the American wheat yeast dropped quite clear.
Yes still raspberrish taste and I bottled a 10 litre batch it had a kg of frozen raspberries and was very clear.

Grass all cut and sat down to have a bottle of my mandarina Bavaria pale ale that I totally forgot about. It’s a nice beer now after sitting for 8 months nice orange taste and sweet aftertaste. Time makes all things better as it wasn’t great at first.

Attachments

• 4A1A586F-DE6F-479A-BCD2-6C8AACDEAD72.jpeg
    4A1A586F-DE6F-479A-BCD2-6C8AACDEAD72.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 60
Wow a new Verdant ipa brewed with Kveik Voss yeast chinook Columbus Amarillo simcoe & cascade an incredible beer highly complex but well balanced between the subtle spicy almost Belgian nose & new world hop great mouthfeel . Canned 2 days ago ! Sat in the garden chilling with this great beer. 6.5% !
C05B1C1B-4167-4DB8-B7E8-EAC358E166E7.jpeg

Now on my Mosaic/Simcoe IPA and despite being younger than the Citra/Galaxy IPA it’s already better conditioned - more clear, more balanced.

It is quite strong at 6.9% (actually closer to 7% but 6.9% sounds less threatening 🤫 ) so I’m going to propose “alcohol offsetting”. It works a bit like carbon offsetting and means I can offset some of my alcohol content with @obscure so we are both drinking beer at 3.7%!

6F898CBE-620A-493A-8D60-398D388E4CE0.jpeg

6ED2170B-3CA3-4A70-A22A-589AB82A2A82.jpeg
I’m continuing my night with Brew Dog Nanny State 0.5%

Its really not bad, but much like big drop beers it has a distinctive thinness to it.

Now on my Mosaic/Simcoe IPA and despite being younger than the Citra/Galaxy IPA it’s already better conditioned - more clear, more balanced.

It is quite strong at 6.9% (actually closer to 7% but 6.9% sounds less threatening 🤫 ) so I’m going to propose “alcohol offsetting”. It works a bit like carbon offsetting and means I can offset some of my alcohol content with @obscure so we are both drinking beer at 3.7%!

View attachment 28193
That looks a nice pint. Definitely a lot clearer than my attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back