What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1688B8B3-53CD-4DBA-9226-15184FA9EEEB.jpeg
My Tesco order arrived and with it four bottles of beer (four for £6). I haven’t had Old peculiar in years. I cooled it for about 30 minutes in the fridge, which was enough, pleasant with a slightly peculiar after taste

Where are you staying in Menai Bridge @dad_of_jon ?
My mother in law lives in Llandegfan which is the next village up the road about a mile away.
Edit: Googled and seems you’re staying at the Anglesey Arms. Haven’t been in there for a couple of years but it’s a nice place. Tafarn y Bont across the road used to be my favourite place there but the last two times I’ve been in the cask beer was very bad.

Last edited:
View attachment 31369
My Tesco order arrived and with it four bottles of beer (four for £6). I haven’t had Old peculiar in years. I cooled it for about 30 minutes in the fridge, which was enough, pleasant with a slightly peculiar after taste

There is a very good clone of OP in the GW book, which I have done a couple of times. It is much better after 3 months than the filtered, bottled supermarket beer ever could be. As you say, there is a memorable, over-sweet and vaguely nasty aftertaste, Very nice label, though!

Where are you staying in Menai Bridge @dad_of_jon ?
My mother in law lives in Llandegfan which is the next village up the road about a mile away.
Edit: Googled and seems you’re staying at the Anglesey Arms. Haven’t been in there for a couple of years but it’s a nice place. Tafarn y Bont across the road used to be my favourite place there but the last two times I’ve been in the cask beer was very bad.

I've been tempted to cross the road, but by that time i'm not confident i'd make it 😵 So I may chill a few from waitrose wink...

There is a very good clone of OP in the GW book, which I have done a couple of times. It is much better after 3 months than the filtered, bottled supermarket beer ever could be. As you say, there is a memorable, over-sweet and vaguely nasty aftertaste, Very nice label, though!
Just looked up the recipe think I will give it a go as for the large part I’ve being pretty happy with GW recipes just need to order the ingredient.

Last edited:
Have you tried batch priming? It's cheaper than buy carb drops.
Not yet mate, not sure how to do it actually, do you just add it to the batch after fermentation and Syphon in to bottles or do you out a certain amount in each Bottle?

Been doing a spot of bottling 🤬

Time for another beer as a reward. This one is my latest, and lightest, bitter at 4.2%. Been conditioning for just 3 days.

Nicely carbonated already and head-retention is good. Beautiful amber-brown colour. Aroma is malt and slightly bready. Flavour is maybe best described like a really nice tea but with a little toastiness. Mouthfeel is nice and soft but maybe a little thin.

5ABACAB6-5154-49D3-929B-500ED9AC561C.jpeg

I'm drinking an Earl Grey Cyder (yes, the 'y' is intentional, since it's all apple juice and no added water) and to be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I made this on the recommendation of a friend, I don't usually drink cider/cyder but this isn't half bad, only been in the bottle for ten days, I'm only drinking it now as it unexpectedly carbed and started popping corks.

Nice head retention, fairly strong (roughly 7.5%...I usually brew mead at 6% (I'm a bit of a mead freak) so all good, a little bit of a yeasty profile but rather nice indeed!

thumbnail (7).jpeg

Feeling in need of a treat, I’m drinking a Brett Belgian Pale Ale from @strange-steve which I’ve been storing for a while now. The Brett is in its really earthy phase (I personally prefer this descriptor over the traditional “horse blanket”!) but there’s just a hint of fruitiness at the finish which balances out the dryness of the beer beautifully. Really glad I kept this one for a while as it’s changed quite a bit over the months. Cheers steve!

Not yet mate, not sure how to do it actually, do you just add it to the batch after fermentation and Syphon in to bottles or do you out a certain amount in each Bottle?
It's very simple and practically full proof. As a rule of thumb, for practically every style, just dissolve 2/3 cup of table sugar and add to the batch (for approx 20L batch). Stir in and bottle. Done! Never had any issues. Don't overthink it, 2/3 cup will be grand.

Feeling in need of a treat, I’m drinking a Brett Belgian Pale Ale from @strange-steve which I’ve been storing for a while now. The Brett is in its really earthy phase (I personally prefer this descriptor over the traditional “horse blanket”!) but there’s just a hint of fruitiness at the finish which balances out the dryness of the beer beautifully. Really glad I kept this one for a while as it’s changed quite a bit over the months. Cheers steve!
I have no idea what a horse blanket smells like, but earthy and leathery I can understand :hat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back