What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuing with the spoils from the Lidl raiding party I'm trying a Lost in Mosaic from another Scottish Brewery, Loch Lomond Brewery.
A very smooth New World IPA that could be necked at a fast rate but not a stand out beer for me I'm sorry to say.

...however, I do have a second tin which may warm me to it..... :beer1:

Attachments

• 20200829_192335.jpg
    20200829_192335.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 102
yep i also experience this every summer for a month of brews or so, oxidation i think takes its toll at higher temps. i also think it has something to do with the swings from hot to cold as well.

also before you dump it may be worth lagering them at colder temps for a few weeks. they will be different but maybe the change will be good. just don't expect the hops to ever come back.

and next summer focus on saison! and other various belgians. or get your AC replacement ready before hand ;)

I’m going to get some temperature control in there. I’ve been looking at air conditioning and at glycol chillers while I figure out whether to buy something or build something. I’m tempted to build because air conditioning tends to not go below 16 and I’d like the choice.

So, finished the Loch Lomond Brewery Lost in Mosaic and I'm onto their White IPA offering.
An IPA based around Summit & Amarillo, it's dry with allegedly fruit and spice kick.
I can't find any fruit and spice but a nice drink for a warm day I'd say.
A nice drink that is more true to an original idea of an IPA

Attachments

• 20200829_210349.jpg
    20200829_210349.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 94
Probably not the correct place but has anyone had any experience with London fog yeast. I have used it twice, the last being a hazy IPA. This had 300g of hops El Dorado Amarillo azacca. It looks the part but the hop taste and aroma is next to non existent. Very disappointed
IMG_20200829_000446035.jpg

This is my 1 of 6 of HB Belgian tripels--three are conditioning and three more will be completed by next Friday--I've got all the supplies and ingredients either in the fridge or in a cool, dry place for the those additional 19L (that's the US five-gallon batch size, I believe) batches. I'm going to produce beer in a workmanlike fashion come Tuesday--Bang! Bang! Bang! Three batches and Bob's your Uncle (not sure where that's from but I know it's applicable to this situation. I'll Google what's what after I mow my lawn, my neighbors and the house that's up for sale.
I'm far too busy until Tuesday, which I consider to be a fortunate circumstance for my family and lucky to be in such a position.
In any case, dispensing with the "maudlin-ness" of comments of the current state of affairs in the US, let me present to you, the 2020 "Beer that's not bad and satisfies the person who made it, award!"
Me: "I am happy to accept this meaningless award."
PS The ABV is listed in my signature but since I'm too lazy to go look and post what it is, whatever my signature says, it is what it is.
Cheers, people.
Belgian Tripel.jpg

This was bottled at the end of May
That dense head from the bottle? Very nice, very nice. I've never come close to that with anything.
I'm experimenting with 3/4 C sugar (I know, weight by measure is more accurate but I don't care) versus 1 cup with my tripels. I've notice a significant slowdown in carbonation in my bottled beer. It's acting far more in line with the mantra "two weeks in the bottle to carbonate." Prior, with 1 C of sugar, I've been squinting after two weeks, expecting the bottle to blow up in my face--thus the change to 3/4 C.

The very last of the bird food beers. The cml belgian version at 204 days / 6m 22 days.

BIRD FOOD BELGIAN LAST PINT.jpg

Yeah, there's some proteins in there that give some lovely lacing, right til the enddddddd.

It was good. Beers I've done with non-brewy things have actually aged quite badly but the bird food has held up very well. With the two yeasts early doors the CML Kristalweizen made it almost lagery and smashable, the belgian full of crazy flavours. After all this time the belgian has really toned down and all those early mad flavours are waning. Those flavours were too much for me at first, then I got into it and now I'm missing that they're fading. It's a genuinely nice beer but I miss the weird edgyness it had early on. You know when they completely mess up Ally Sheedy at the end of Breakfast Club? It's nowhere near as bad as that..

What? Do you think you've made her more attractive by stripping out her eyeliner and blanding her out with zombie levels of foundation and getting rid of her bassist from the Bangles hair????

So yeah, a bit like that but on the tiniest scale. It's still got lipstick put on in a moving bus that might have streaked up a cheek that makes you want to fu.... It's still good.

Last edited:
Probably not the correct place but has anyone had any experience with London fog yeast. I have used it twice, the last being a hazy IPA. This had 300g of hops El Dorado Amarillo azacca. It looks the part but the hop taste and aroma is next to non existent. Very disappointed
View attachment 31790
I haven't used the yeast before but there is no reason it should mute the hops like that. did you dry hop with 300g or use some in the boil too?

you could have Corona, like Hazelwood and his dissapointing beers? otherwise maybe a warm weather issue, do you have temp control?

there was that study about dry hopping at cold crash temps, I was thinking about trying that out when I get a little room in the kegerator with a recent batch. might be worth looking into.

I haven't used the yeast before but there is no reason it should mute the hops like that. did you dry hop with 300g or use some in the boil too?

you could have Corona, like Hazelwood and his dissapointing beers? otherwise maybe a warm weather issue, do you have temp control?

there was that study about dry hopping at cold crash temps, I was thinking about trying that out when I get a little room in the kegerator with a recent batch. might be worth looking into.
I used 150g very late & hopstand plus 150g dry hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back