What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sampling @samale 's Saison! he sent me.

I poured two glasses so I could sample a warmer one earlier than waiting the typical 10 minutes. It poured with a really nice white head that sticks around for a while. Not overly carbonated and probably on the low end for the style, I think I prefer this level to the some of the overly carbonated versions though. Its light and a bit cloudy.

Aroma is really interesting some saison like citrus esters but then it changes to clove or almost speculaas, and some black pepper if you hang around long enough. Its really unique and I rather enjoyed the aroma. Not getting much malt at all, which is fine.

I was expecting a saison like fruity pepper flavor but was a bit surprised with a burst of hops. I had to take another couple of sips to ponder. It's definitely a saison and has the normal lemon/orange zest fruitiness, with a very slight phenolic pepper note. The sweet alcohol is pretty up front too, seems in the 6%+ range. The hops are fuity orange citrus changing to pine and resin, and a bit hop green. I get a decent amount of malt in the background, like melba toast. It's definitely more bitter than a normal saison and it lingers for a while.

So I know you asked for feedback and I have to say if you are making an official Saison! you need to ease way off on the hops. However I actually loved this! That aroma was really to die for. I think hops plus saison yeast make an amazing combination. I would be super curious to see how this would be with a bit more carbonation but I am not sure I would recommend any changes to this recipe it was really rather enjoyable and I would happily polish one a day, as I haven't even finished the first one and already feeling it a bit. Good job with this one from a fellow hop head.

20200905_161951.jpg

Last edited:
Sampling @samale 's Saison! he sent me.

I poured two glasses so I could sample a warmer one earlier than waiting the typical 10 minutes. It poured with a really nice white head that sticks around for a while. Not overly carbonated and probably on the low end for the style, I think I prefer this level to the some of the overly carbonated versions though. Its light and a bit cloudy.

Aroma is really interesting some saison like citrus esters but then it changes to clove or almost speculaas, and some black pepper if you hang around long enough. Its really unique and I rather enjoyed the aroma. Not getting much malt at all, which is fine.

I was expecting a saison like fruity pepper flavor but was a bit surprised with a burst of hops. I had to take another couple of sips to ponder. It's definitely a saison and has the normal lemon/orange zest fruitiness, with a very slight phenolic pepper note. The sweet alcohol is pretty up front too, seems in the 6%+ range. The hops are fuity orange citrus changing to pine and resin, and a bit hop green. I get a decent amount of malt in the background, like melba toast. It's definitely more bitter than a normal saison and it lingers for a while.

So I know you asked for feedback and I have to say if you are making an official Saison! you need to ease way off on the hops. However I actually loved this! That aroma was really to die for. I think hops plus saison yeast make an amazing combination. I would be super curious to see how this would be with a bit more carbonation but I am not sure I would recommend any changes to this recipe it was really rather enjoyable and I would happily polish one a day, as I haven't even finished the first one and already feeling it a bit. Good job with this one from a fellow hop head.

View attachment 32123
I really enjoyed that beer myself. Really great flavours. It was just under 7%

Good Afternoon Folks!

Spent yesterday at my nephew’s trying out his new garden bar. He’s done a good job and I had a bit too much to drink so a slightly later start this morning.

Anyway, chores done, a light brunch to line the stomach, and my first beer today is the last of my batch from @samale

9FBD88D9-A527-42A9-A8F8-AC32D794584F.jpeg

...back to the beer...

7B9DD85B-7584-46C2-AED4-A984ABB3DE4A.jpeg
This is a Munich Dunkel. I’m not sure of the strength. On opening the bottle there was no drama, the pour was well behaved with lots of fizzing but no real head, raising the height of the pour gave a light airy head that fell away after a few seconds leaving a light ring of bubbles around the glass. The colour looks dark brown but when held to the light is a dark ruby - beautiful. The aroma is dark malt, a little raisin/prune sweetness, and you can smell the alcohol when you swirl so I’m guessing this has a good strength. The flavour is a really nice malty Dunkel, a little burnt caramel at the end, smooth soft mouthfeel, mild bitterness and no astringency. This is better than some commercial Dunkels I’ve bought so I’m really pleased to have tried it. Thank you @samale , great job! :hat:

Good Afternoon Folks!

Spent yesterday at my nephew’s trying out his new garden bar. He’s done a good job and I had a bit too much to drink so a slightly later start this morning.

Anyway, chores done, a light brunch to line the stomach, and my first beer today is the last of my batch from @samale

View attachment 32144

...back to the beer...

View attachment 32147
This is a Munich Dunkel. I’m not sure of the strength. On opening the bottle there was no drama, the pour was well behaved with lots of fizzing but no real head, raising the height of the pour gave a light airy head that fell away after a few seconds leaving a light ring of bubbles around the glass. The colour looks dark brown but when held to the light is a dark ruby - beautiful. The aroma is dark malt, a little raisin/prune sweetness, and you can smell the alcohol when you swirl so I’m guessing this has a good strength. The flavour is a really nice malty Dunkel, a little burnt caramel at the end, smooth soft mouthfeel, mild bitterness and no astringency. This is better than some commercial Dunkels I’ve bought so I’m really pleased to have tried it. Thank you @samale , great job! :hat:
I had one myself last week. I did notice the head seems to fizz away to nothing. Not sure how I managed that. Nice tasting beer, I much preferred the bock that I sent to @Pennine.

I had two nights in a row of fairly heavy drinking (for me at least) so today will be a heavy-ass gym session and many litres of water 🤢

There's definitely something cathartic and masochistic about heavy deadlifts while hungover, I recommend it 😐

I used to go for a run. My theory was that the exercise increased blood flow, increased oxygenation, and in combination with plenty of water flushed the system more quickly. These days I think about going for a run far more often than I run. Maybe when I retire at the end of the month... 🤔

Today feels a bit odd, everyone and everything seems to be a bit subdued. Even the birds are sat squatted silently in the trees. Maybe a best bitter will help (me, not the birds!).

View attachment 32151
Is there a secret to brewing a decent bitter, cos I've tried many times with very little success. Actually once I entered a BJCP competition with an ESB and although it didn't place it scored 41 which I couldn't believe. I rebrewed the exact same beer a bit later and entered it into another competition (organised by the same club now) and it scored 15! Neither were great in my opinion but I honestly thought the second was better :laugh8:
There might be a moral there somewhere but I don't know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back