What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy Water Oxford Marmalade

I had this yesterday on draft and thought it wasn’t bad but couldn’t really taste the marmalade however today had it from a bottle at about 10 degrees, what a difference, the marmalade is really pronounced, but just enough bitterness from the hops to avoid being sickly sweet. Starting to think that this is an example, of a beer that should Possibly be served from a cask or at least at cask temp rather than ice cold from a keg.

Had a few beers with my brother today
IMG_20200906_115319.jpg
IMG_20200906_121616.jpg
IMG_20200906_134737.jpg
IMG_20200906_141728.jpg

The Ranger was OK, a standard pale ale. Pride and Joy and King Goblin were great as always. The last beer is my user upper schwarzbier with Oslo Kveik, nice and malty, clean bitterness, and slightly minerally. A lot better than expected!

Saw Morrisons had a few new beers in their craft selection so I had to buy some.

Started with Fake Empire from Brewdog which is described on the can as a sour hazy IPA. From googling, it's actually from their Overworks brewery but this isn't mentioned on the can.

This is pretty bad. It wasn't hazy at all. There is very little sour/tart taste. In fact, very little taste at all. Very poor effort.

Next up a Transient by Northern Monk, a hazy ddh IPA. This is delicious. Hazy, hoppy, smooth. I could drink this all day.

This is like my king kong quad not quite as 'thick' but the same flavour profile - love it bbe 2025- have to age the others I have.

If you love a quad and you see it - get it no 'bubblegum' like you get in the la trappe quad but just as good, in a different way.

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_193924_554[1].jpg
    IMG_20200906_193924_554[1].jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 50
Tonight, I'll be drinking my "male cow", a Sorachi Ace and Columbus pale. It's going down great, might have to stock some more to the fridge.

Pint of my Belgian Ale thingie, which was originally in my weird corny keg - that will hold gas seemingly indefinately, until you put liquid in it and pressurise it, then it leaks gas. Strange. Anyhow, I had originally planned to naturally carb this one so it was put in the weird corny with 60g of sugar and kept at 21 degrees for a couple of weeks to carb up. Which is didn't, or more accurately, it did but then the gas all leaked away. Sigh.

So, yesterday I transferred it to another corny keg and force carbed it for 48 hours or so and it now nice and carbed up, but I obviously picked up some of the yeast from the original keg as its cloudy as hell. Tastes amazing - really quite Belgianny (is that a word?). It fermented right down to 1002, but it doesn't taste too thin.

IMG_20200906_201757.jpg

Drinking @Pennine Cali Common,

Lovely beer this.

Pours well, good head which still lingers 3/4's of the way down the glass, perfectly carbonated. Colour is reddish brown, cloudy (not sure if it's meant to be or if I didn't leave it long enough after it's travels).

Taste, can't believe it's 6%, hides it well, it has an earthy character (from the hops?) chocolatey malty, leading to an almost piney aftertaste. Mouthfeel, for me is almost perfect, feels like your drinking something if you know what I mean. No off flavours, very clean, surprisingly so when you look at the clarity. Very little aroma even when the beer warms.

I'm a little lost on what more to say about this one, it's lovely, I would defo drink more of these if I had them, it isn't my favourite style (no criticism
20200906_193719.jpg
of this one) but it's beer and definitely a good one.

With this in mind and because i swapped cali commons with @Pennine my next beer is my cali common.

Pours well with a thick creamy head, looks nice, well carbed, darker than excpected.

Taste wise, more bitterness but less maltiness, earthy. Very little aroma. Nice but not spectacular. Much the same way I feel about anchor steam beer to be fair, it's not my favourite style but nice to try something different. Suprising how different these two are!
20200906_204654.jpg

Finally cracked and opened my attempt at a Bière de Garde, 8 months in the bottle, apologies for poor photo, I’m fairly new to brewing and very pleased with the result it’s the best brew I’ve made so far, in large part due to the advice on this forum cheers

Attachments

• 454007DB-BF52-4B1B-8D65-23F2756F3CB3.jpeg
    454007DB-BF52-4B1B-8D65-23F2756F3CB3.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 54
Have a guess how much I paid for that haul.
Theres Jackie O
Green Flash
Great Divide
The Bruery
Almanac and a few more

Started out with one of these.
20200907_170316.jpg

And after a couple sips I dumped it. Diluted, bland and hints of cat ****. Citra is not a good bittering hop.
So I moved on to Saison!
20200907_170507.jpg

In adnams defense I seem to have lost a sense of taste and smell.... but I'm pretty sure it's negligible.

Drinking @Pennine Cali Common,

Lovely beer this.

Pours well, good head which still lingers 3/4's of the way down the glass, perfectly carbonated. Colour is reddish brown, cloudy (not sure if it's meant to be or if I didn't leave it long enough after it's travels).

Taste, can't believe it's 6%, hides it well, it has an earthy character (from the hops?) chocolatey malty, leading to an almost piney aftertaste. Mouthfeel, for me is almost perfect, feels like your drinking something if you know what I mean. No off flavours, very clean, surprisingly so when you look at the clarity. Very little aroma even when the beer warms.

I'm a little lost on what more to say about this one, it's lovely, I would defo drink more of these if I had them, it isn't my favourite style (no criticismView attachment 32188 of this one) but it's beer and definitely a good one.
Funny I feel the same way about the style, although I tend to get to the last bottle rather quickly and then wonder how it dissapeared so fast. Which usually causes me to brew another batch and the cycle repeats.

Glad you enjoyed it, I think I will keep the 6% version over the 5% one. You are right it has much more flavor at that gravity. I think the post shook that bottle up a bit most have been pretty clear after sitting in the refrigerator for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back