What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First for me tonight is this, and it's really very good indeed. Intense fruity hops but a nice soft, restrained bitterness. This is a great beer and easy drinking at 5.7%.
Cr4qzvH.jpg
I need to get to a Tesco to grab some of their new range, especially the nitro stout.

Had two out of my Beer52 box today. A Pilsner by The Garden Brewery, and an IPA Belhamel by De Eeuwige Jeugd (I think?)
IMG_20200912_162602.jpg
IMG_20200912_183754_208.jpg

The IPA was great, lots of peach aroma and flavour and really easy drinking. I'd definitely get more of these if I saw them in the shop.

View attachment 32496
Bottle of Union Red from the limited edition Passport Series. A blend of Cab Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and merlot. Good deep colour, fruity, acid, pleasant oak note. Definitely full bodied. Wasnt a cheap kit at £99 but yielding 30 bottles still only £3 but would say it is good value.
I always wanted to try brewing a wine. I only drink red. Would you recommend that kit. Some reviews I have seen for red wine say they lack the body and complexity you would expect from a nice red.

So it's Saison tasting night provide by @Pennine. Same beer with two different yeast. Belle Saison & Be134.
Both beer are well carbonated and pour a lovely golden straw colour.
Aroma: belle Saison is spicy, peppery slight fruitiness from the hops, Be134 not getting much from the hops. Aroma is faint compared to the belle Saison.
Taste: both lovely Beers, very little bitterness and both dangerously easy to drink. You can feel the alcohol warm you. For me the Be134 is more rounded and softer to drink. It has a better mouth feel. It a tough one to decide which I prefer. I would happily drink both which I am currently doing. The belle Saison to me has more flavour from the yeast. Nice spicy peppery with a dry finish.
Really enjoyed trying both beer side by side. Thanks again for sharing
View attachment 32482
Nice thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed them. I am stuck between them too both good and they make it difficult to choose between them.

also there are no bittering hops, I got that idea from you on one of your no chill batches you sent a while ago.

Nice thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed them. I am stuck between them too both good and they make it difficult to choose between them.

also there are no bittering hops, I got that idea from you on one of your no chill batches you sent a while ago.
I just bottled a raw stout tonight, I have a bottle put away for you. For anyone new on the forum, I can't recommend enough to get into swapping beer. It's a great way of trying styles that you wouldn't necessarily brew yourself. Plus it gives you a good bench mark. The feed back is great good or bad.

erm, dark side of the moose 4.6% - for old times sake
clwb tropicana - 5.5% - tropical goodyness - had to go to waitrose menai bridge to get my hands on some.
My own triple 8.47%
finishing off with an erdinger pikantus - 7.3% (good but in 3rd place behind - aventinus & korbinian )

Started the night with my Bitter with fuggles and EKG. Followed up with a tasty pale from Left Handed Giant with cryo Mosiac ,Citra & Voss Kviek yeast ...very nice
IMG_20200912_210335.jpg

Last edited:
Had a bottle of Titanic Iceberg, it’s the first time in a while I’ve had a beer hopped with cascade (everyone seems to be using Citra in the more generic IPAs these days and other newer variety’s at the premium end of the market) shame as it actually makes for a rather nice beer. Fairly crisp, bitter but not overwhelming.

I‘m tempted to attempt something similar to this as its a good 4.1% pale ale.

It's been a day of housework and small jobs like replacing tap washer and testing loose connections on aerial cable. Helped daughter with some photo editing and been for a run in the heat of the day. These things build up a thirst!

A couple of halfs of Summer Lightning followed by one of these:
rps20200913_185448.jpg

Which is a California Common. One I brewed back in lockdown and had trouble with strike and sparge temperatures, hence the name Re-Cali-bration. It has quite a malty taste and rich mouthfeel but the piney hops are finally coming through too. Still not convinced I got a good batch of CML CC yeast as there is a distinct buttery taste in this and and another brew that followed.

Still, this is quite drinkable now after 3 months.

Last edited:
Drinking this in my caravan.

IMG_20200913_191133585.jpg

Yes, I'm a larger lout lol.
I have saved around 150 bottles of these lately in anticipation of brewing again, (I may have a drink problem lol) the bottles seem good for home brew, no labels to remove 👍
Some may note i have a knack of removing bottle tops without damage too 😁

I have also saved about 50 wine bottles and 50 brown 500ml cider bottles.

I need to get home brewing again quickly to save money :D

Edit. Hopefully someone doesn't tell me those Corona bottles are rubbish .

I must pick that up. Is that one of your Tesco selection
Yes it is mate. Really impressed with the quality of beers available from supermarkets right now, I hope it continues. Here's another from Tesco and it's another good one. Sweet and fruity as you'd expect from the name and I know many who would turn their nose up at this saying it's not a beer but an alco-pop or cocktail, and there might be some truth to that but I really don't care because it's delicious.
29wAnNw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back