What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi obscure,
Just to help my slight confusion on your post;
Did you really mean "buttering" there, as usually a 90 minute boil with hops would be for 'bittering'?
Or is that a feature of Goldings you have found when boiled for the 90 mins.
Thanks,
Robin.
Part of me is wondering if I could try and claim that buttering is (insert technical sounding nonsense) but alas it is auto correct.

You'll be going "stir crazy"...

Nah! There’s plenty going on in the world and I like to learn about and do stuff. I might learn a bit about biochemistry, read some of the brewing research, there are gadgets to build, maybe I’ll get back into electronics and microprocessors. Actually, I’ve never learned to weld 🤔

Right! Work over for today and I’m starting with a bitter while I wait for it’s two companions to chill down in the freezer.

The two companions are saison flavoured with two strengths of passion fruit flavouring added. I’ve no idea how these might turn out but it’s another experiment and you never know, they may be great!

A6078CF0-4F5E-4328-909D-CF2605735DB2.jpeg

Part of me is wondering if I could try and claim that buttering is (insert technical sounding nonsense) but alas it is auto correct.
Ah, and there's me thinking "the buttering flavour typically comes from diacetyl, a byproduct of malolactic conversion, or ML. During ML, a benign bacterium converts malic acid (as you’d find in tart green apples) into softer lactic acid (as in cream or butter). Achieved by mashing at a temperature of greater than 68 but less than 68.1C"

Thanks for the clarification.
"It was the spoil chokker what changed it m'laud".

this ones not bad, although a bit too smokey for me. I am a little smoke shy after adding some smoked brown malt in my brown ale and not enjoying it.

maybe it's not very good after all, too bad I usually like their offerings.

20200915_182656.jpg

This is the second one and my wife and I think it might just be a little better that the first. Of course this now means I have to make some more because we haven’t reached the point where it’s gone too far!

View attachment 32646
Well at least you'll have plenty of time!

Just had my last BBQ of the year and a can of Polly's Slow Repetitions DIPA
IMG_20200915_171709.jpg

This beer really confused me, it's sweet like an alcopop! Almost no bitterness, sweet and fruity, full thick mouthfeel, and zero alcohol bite (at 8.8%). My wife could smell the sweetness across the garden!

That being said, it was a lovely 'beer' and very well brewed, but probably something I'd only have on a very rare occasion.

Well at least you'll have plenty of time!

Just had my last BBQ of the year and a can of Polly's Slow Repetitions DIPA View attachment 32647

This beer really confused me, it's sweet like an alcopop! Almost no bitterness, sweet and fruity, full thick mouthfeel, and zero alcohol bite (at 8.8%). My wife could smell the sweetness across the garden!

That being said, it was a lovely 'beer' and very well brewed, but probably something I'd only have on a very rare occasion.

A true NEIPA. @Pennine MADE me listen to a Scott Janish podcast and it seems the east coast go for a FG of about 1020, west coast nearer 1008.

Speaking of BBQs I have jacket potatoes on mine. Wife wanted jackets and no way do I want the oven on indoors for two hours in this heat:confused.:

Ah, and there's me thinking "the buttering flavour typically comes from diacetyl, a byproduct of malolactic conversion, or ML. During ML, a benign bacterium converts malic acid (as you’d find in tart green apples) into softer lactic acid (as in cream or butter). Achieved by mashing at a temperature of greater than 68 but less than 68.1C"

Thanks for the clarification.
"It was the spoil chokker what changed it m'laud".
One down side of posting on a home brew forum is that it is very likely that at least half the people posting at any one time are intoxicated, so proof reading of posts often goes somewhat awry (Sadly when I made my original post I was completely sober so I don’t have that excuse).

One down side of posting on a home brew forum is that it is very likely that at least half the people posting at any one time are intoxicated, so proof reading of posts often goes somewhat awry (Sadly when I made my original post I was completely sober so I don’t have that excuse).
very good point, reading comprehension definitely decreases due to consumption although I still prefer to blame the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back