What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20200916_183936.jpg

Tonight is for research purposes only. Left to right... Tribute clone #1, Tribute clone #2,Tribute.
I've started with aroma,and with the original.
For me the Tribute trait is Willamette..yes,as expected the original is there.
First clone it's feint...#2 much more pronounced but could be better...iirc I added more hops at end of boil than in #1.
All have malt on the nose but I think my two clones have more than the original...could that be the Munich?
All beers were put in the fridge at 4pm..as they warm there's more aroma...the original is more floral.
I think I've got the colour nearly right and the carbonation,head retention and lacing are as good as the original.
Clarity isn't although that,to me isn't an issue.
I used Notty yeast so unable to comment on that as i can't use theirs..
Mouth feel and /or bitterness.. original is harsher than mine..flinty?..mine is softer and more rounded? I think the original is "drier"...yes definitely! And that floral hit comes through more as it warms but isn't that likeable...I get it in mine more subtly..and more if I stick my nose into the glass and really sniff it in.
Half way down they're all gently carbonated,look the same...thin retained head and good lacing..
Both my clones are good (#1 recipe courtesy of Cheshire cat)but as Hazelwood Brewery pointed out not quite Tribute. The added hops in #2 pips it but I think there's an added aroma in the original from the malt..sweeter,almost honey like.
I'm intrigued...I need to revisit this. I don't feel the yeast is driving it...I might try US05...and pull more hop aroma with a dry hop..but I need to check the hop aromas in the bag now I'm getting it from the original..I think water treatment is in it...yes...another try..mine is way softer and more rounded...
Conclusion...the clones are nice beers..not Tribute...need more hop aroma,sweeter malt finish..some light crystal? and more mineral in the water..
Further observations...I'm going to be ******!
Any comments very welcome... suggestions on water treatment etc..
Cheers!

alright H have to hand it to you, that summer breeze is a solid recipe. think I am gonna enter this one in the comp. I might even brew up another 20l of it this weekend and push off my festbier experiment.

View attachment 32694

Glad you like it. You go for it, enter it in the comp and best of luck to you!

View attachment 32695
Tonight is for research purposes only. Left to right... Tribute clone #1, Tribute clone #2,Tribute.
First clone it's feint...#2 much more pronounced but could be better...iirc I added more hops at end of boil than in #1.
All have malt on the nose but I think my two clones have more than the original...could that be the Munich?
All beers were put in the fridge at 4pm..as they warm there's more aroma...the original is more floral.
I think I've got the colour nearly right and the carbonation,head retention and lacing are as good as the original.
Mouth feel and /or bitterness.. original is harsher than mine..flinty?..mine is softer and more rounded? I think the original is "drier"...yes definitely! And that floral hit comes through more as it warms but isn't that likeable...I get it in mine more subtly..and more if I stick my nose into the glass and really sniff it in.
Half way down they're all gently carbonated,look the same...thin retained head and good lacing..
Both my clones are good (#1 recipe courtesy of Cheshire cat)but as Hazelwood Brewery pointed out not quite Tribute. The added hops in #2 pips it but I think there's an added aroma in the original from the malt..sweeter,almost honey like.
I'm intrigued...I need to revisit this. I don't feel the yeast is driving it...I might try US05...and pull more hop aroma with a dry hop..but I need to check the hop aromas in the bag now I'm getting it from the original..I think water treatment is in it...yes...another try..mine is way softer and more rounded...
Conclusion...the clones are nice beers..not Tribute...need more hop aroma,sweeter malt finish..some light crystal? and more mineral in the water..
Further observations...I'm going to be p****d!
Cheers!
Did you use Fuggles, Celeia, Willamette and Marris Otter and Pale Gold?

Sounds like you need more gypsum in the water. Have you pulled a water report from the region of the brewery?

Did you use Fuggles, Celeia, Willamette and Marris Otter and Pale Gold?

Sounds like you need more gypsum in the water. Have you pulled a water report from the region of the brewery?
Yes hops the same..used Crisp pale ale and Munich. Good point on water but unless I know what it if they treat it I wouldn't know where to start...

Yes hops the same..used Crisp pale ale and Munich. Good point on water but unless I know what it if they treat it I wouldn't know where to start...
Yeah it sounds like they use their special spring water. Might be worth shooting them an email?

Water (or Liquor as we brewers like to call it) can make up an incredible 95% of the finished product. Being such a vital ingredient, only the highest quality Cornish spring water is used and comes directly from our own source where the water is purified through age old granite.

View attachment 32695
Cheers!
The late Roger Ryman informed me that their treated water is roughly 300ppm Sulphate 100ppm chloride for their pale ales. Hope that helps 🍺

View attachment 32695
Cheers!

I believe if you can be arsed Proper job is bottle conditioned so you could try and nick and grow that. Although most people think its a chico strain.

I would try wlp001 or US05.. Notty can mute hops a bit and aroma so I def think that might help too.

Checking the gravity of my English Ale this morning (and having a cheeky taste). I could drink this straight out of the fermenter!
IMG_20200917_084309.jpg
IMG_20200917_084341.jpg

It's super clear already. How high should I carb it to? 2.2 vols? Or is that too much?

Checking the gravity of my English Ale this morning (and having a cheeky taste). I could drink this straight out of the fermenter! View attachment 32711View attachment 32712

It's super clear already. How high should I carb it to? 2.2 vols? Or is that too much?

For me that is too much personally but you might like it that way.. I find English Ales if they get too fizzy and especially if they are bottled a while t(hey will no doubt ferment longer anyway).. the fizz can be distracting from teh more complex flavour and English Ales are tricky enough I think to get right sometimes. I prefer a smoother less carbed version myself..

What you can always do is do what yu'd normally do and decant it back and forth from a glass to another and I find that can take teh fizz out and make it nice and smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back