What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 and a half weeks in the pb first taste of my autum gold and its very good still abit hazy another week should do it

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_145640.jpg
    IMG_20200917_145640.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 143
I emailed St. Austell Brewery last night and had a great reply this morning...
They were most helpful indeed..
Water...
Sulphate..170,chloride..100, alkalinity 32....these are their treated values.
Told to stick with an English ale yeast.
Pale malt 4.5ebc,Munich 20ebc 80/20.
Wow that's really cool of them. I am going to pick some up to try it out. I love Willamette.

those are just slightly higher than my normal brews!

For me that is too much personally but you might like it that way.. I find English Ales if they get too fizzy and especially if they are bottled a while t(hey will no doubt ferment longer anyway).. the fizz can be distracting from teh more complex flavour and English Ales are tricky enough I think to get right sometimes. I prefer a smoother less carbed version myself..

What you can always do is do what yu'd normally do and decant it back and forth from a glass to another and I find that can take teh fizz out and make it nice and smooth
As it's my first I'll bottle prime instead of Batch priming then. I can do half at 1.8, and half at 2.2 and see what I prefer.

Water...
Clint
I've loved your Tribute posts. What water do you use? In Warrington we get our water from Lake Vyrnwy and the profile is
Calcium 50, Sulphate 28, Chloride 29, Alkalinity 104.
As I've never done any water treatment I wouldn't know where to start.
I've tweaked my recipe slightly to
above.

4000g MO
500g Munich
100g Torrefied wheat
25g Challenger 60m
25g Willamette 15m
15g Willamette 3m
Safale S04

Hiya Chesh.. Wrexham tap water...from the Dee.
Cal. 75, sulphate 30, chloride 13, alkalinity 91.
Just use Strange Steve's water calculator in the water etc section...dead easy!!
My next attempt will be....
3.6kg pale
900g Munich
13g fuggles at 90
17g Willamette at 90
12g Willamette at 15
15g fuggles at 15
25g celeia at 80c
I'm still debating a small dry hop of celeia and Willamette to get more aroma...

kicking off with my mce pale ale. maybe a bit too much magnum for the bittering addition, think I will drop it down to 5g first wort hop from 10g per 11l batch.

20200917_175442.jpg

Hiya Chesh.. Wrexham tap water...from the Dee.
Cal. 75, sulphate 30, chloride 13, alkalinity 91.
Just use Strange Steve's water calculator in the water etc section...dead easy!!
My next attempt will be....
3.6kg pale
900g Munich
13g fuggles at 90
17g Willamette at 90
12g Willamette at 15
15g fuggles at 15
25g celeia at 80c
I'm still debating a small dry hop of celeia and Willamette to get more aroma...
Once you’ve nailed this one @Clint I’m going to shamelessly steal your recipe 🍺👍 love a Tribute

kicking off with my mce pale ale. maybe a bit too much magnum for the bittering addition, think I will drop it down to 5g first wort hop from 10g per 11l batch.

View attachment 32721

I’ve just had a taste of my Harlequin ale and I’ve made some basic errors - gutted!

The beer smells really fruity but any fruit in the taste is completely overpowered by the intense bitterness :mad:

I had no bittering charge but I shouldn’t have had a 15 minute boil either AND I should have mashed at a higher temperature to finish at a higher gravity.

Unless you think Brewdog Jackhammer is a bit puny on the bitterness you’re not going to like this. 😭

I’ve just had a taste of my Harlequin ale and I’ve made some basic errors - gutted!

The beer smells really fruity but any fruit in the taste is completely overpowered by the intense bitterness :mad:

I had no bittering charge but I shouldn’t have had a 15 minute boil either AND I should have mashed at a higher temperature to finish at a higher gravity.

Unless you think Brewdog Jackhammer is a bit puny on the bitterness you’re not going to like this. 😭
Listen...tipping another batch will mentally scar you. Bottle it and bung it in the shed for a couple of months...

Once you’ve nailed this one @Clint I’m going to shamelessly steal your recipe 🍺👍 love a Tribute
I'm quite excited about another go...I shall keep you all updated.
The trouble is there's so many beers I want to brew...no time,no space. I might change my forum name to Dr. Poo....

Oh don't you worry I love enamel peeling IPA's, I am a huge fan of the good old days when american brewers were fighting the hop wars and shooting for 200+ ibus.

moved onto to one of these, they are aging a bit. Might need to drink them up soon. I have about 6 12's that are about 4-5 years old that I should sample too.

146-_1001447.jpg

Listen...tipping another batch will mentally scar you. Bottle it and bung it in the shed for a couple of months...

Actually, small admission - I only tipped one because the other was marginal and even seems to have recovered a little. I also don’t mind an intensely bitter ale but I could make one with far fewer hops!

Water...
That's terrific. Always been impressed with St Austell when I have dealt with them through work. Lovely to see such an open approach to a genuine question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back