What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harlequin next. I intended for this to be really hoppy - and it is...but also very bitter from all the hops added at 15 mins and hopstand. It really reminds me of Brewdog Jack-Hammer. It’s growing on me more each time I drink it.

I hope you like a bitter ale @Leon103 😉

D4928A46-EB1F-428C-B59B-3ECAC88F286F.jpeg

My next is @samale Black Rye IPA. Using t58 yeast we discussed this after I was talking about brewing my belgian stout with t58, so i've really been looking forward to this, it sounds right up my street although i've never knowingly drunk a beer with Rye in it before.

Anyway... poured nicely, big thick creamy head, well carbonated.

Aroma, mainly cascade i think, piney, resinous perhaps almost herby!

Appearance, Black, perhaps not jet black, but black.

Flavour, A malty almost peppery taste gives way to a hoppy bitterness, again piney/herby. Perhaps not as dry as the BJCP notes suggest, I definitely get some sweetness. I have no idea what the ABV is in this one... I guess at 5 ish, it doesn't seem particularly strong but i could be wrong!

Mouthfeel, medium bodied.

My first Rye beer, and I like it. It's a very nice IPA, very hoppy but not overly so and I love the dark malts/rye flavours. It gets better as it warms, I had it chilled, I could easily sink a few of these but definitely want to know what the ABV is!
View attachment 33424
Hi I am glad you enjoyed it. It was an experimental beer. This is the recipe
Black rye IPA
3kg Maris otter
2kg rye
500g Munich
200g light crystal
200g acid malt
500g carafa 2 cold steep in 2 litres of water. This is added to the boil

20g magnum @60 mins
15g each of sabro, Chinook & centennial @10mins
35g each of sabro, Chinook & centennial @ hop stand 80 degrees
Dry hop 50g sabro & 50 g of Chinook

Yeast T58.
The abv was 6%. If I was to brew it again I would make sure to have temp control. I pitched the yeast on the high side of its temp range. The yeast totally ripped through the wort and was climbing out of the fermentor. T58 is a monster.
Thanks for the review 👍

Just had a Bret pale from @strange-steve . Great beer. Fruity Brett aroma. I have only had a few Bret beers but the flavour reminded me of the Brewdog Bret IPA intially but stronger as it warmed up.fruity with a slight tartness
IMG_20200929_191730.jpg
. Enjoyable beer🍺

Next one....

@samale Red X IPA,

Lovely thick head which lasts more than half the glass. I think perhaps could do with being just a touch better carbonated.

Aroma, mainly orangey from the amarilo I guess, but you definitely get melon as well, lovely.

Appearance, red as the name suggests.

Flavour, A very smooth IPA hoppy bitterness. quite orangey, mellowed by the red malt. Again I would say the alcohol content is well hidden, i'd say again anywhere between 5-7%, but it isn't in your face. I would say that the malt and hops compliment each other well in this one.

Mouthfeel, Medium bodied.

This is my favourite of the two you've sent me , I would buy this again and again if I was in the pub, i've really enjoyed it. It's not the high hop bitterness of some IPA's and i'm sure that some would find it less hoppy than they would like but to be honest i've loved it.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Next one....

@samale Red X IPA,

Lovely thick head which lasts more than half the glass. I think perhaps could do with being just a touch better carbonated.

Aroma, mainly orangey from the amarilo I guess, but you definitely get melon as well, lovely.

Appearance, red as the name suggests.

Flavour, A very smooth IPA hoppy bitterness. quite orangey, mellowed by the red malt. Again I would say the alcohol content is well hidden, i'd say again anywhere between 5-7%, but it isn't in your face. I would say that the malt and hops compliment each other well in this one.

Mouthfeel, Medium bodied.

This is my favourite of the two you've sent me , I would buy this again and again if I was in the pub, i've really enjoyed it. It's not the high hop bitterness of some IPA's and i'm sure that some would find it less hoppy than they would like but to be honest i've loved it.
View attachment 33428
I wasn't to sure about it at the start, I found it slightly sweet like Caramel. The more I had it the more I enjoyed it. The abv was 6.5%. The recipe is below, the last centennial dry hop I only had 30g left.
Redx IPA
I have been looking to brew @An Ankoù redx IPA for a while. Finally getting around to it now. Slight variation on the hops but I wanted to use what I have in stock.
Red IPA
6.5kg of redx
Mash went on earlier today @63 degrees. I will do a mash out later tonight when I get home.
20g Magnum@60 mins
25g each of centennial, el Dorado, Amarillo @ 15 mins
25 g of each again @ hop stand 80 degrees
50 g of each dry hop on day 10
Yeast will be US05

Last edited:
Is the recipe for this on your brew thread. I will be bottling my dark winter Saison this weekend hopefully. The aroma already has a nice mix of dark stone fruit and Brett of it.
yeah I brewed it a while back its here. pennine's brewdays
I racked it on that pretty pellicle and a lager yeast a few posts before.

I think it still needs a month or two more to condition and oxidize a bit. then I will send out a few bottles.

Cheers Dave, I appreciate brett can be an acquired taste so thanks for the kind words:hat:
👍My current batch is an attempt at a similar beer(I think). Which yeast did you use for the initial fermentation out of interest? Was the Brett a fresh lab pitch? How long had that been since pitching the Brett?
I have used whitelabs Bastogne for mine and plan to go down the Orval dregs route for half the batch and then no Brett for the other.
I'm not very good at saving beer for future tasting, and from memory every time I have had Orval it's been with 2-3 months from bottling so I wouldn't have thought I have had it when the Brett character is at its strongest.

Which yeast did you use for the initial fermentation out of interest? Was the Brett a fresh lab pitch? How long had that been since pitching the Brett?
I used the Westmalle yeast WLP530 in the primary then added a vial of WLP650 to the secondary. It was then left for 10 weeks before bottling and has been in the bottle now for 5 months.
I have used whitelabs Bastogne for mine and plan to go down the Orval dregs route for half the batch and then no Brett for the other.
With the Bastogne yeast yours will be more "authentically" Orval-like, especially if using the dregs. That being said, the primary yeast character is very much muted when the brett does its thing.
every time I have had Orval it's been with 2-3 months from bottling so I wouldn't have thought I have had it when the Brett character is at its strongest.
Yeah it's a very different beast when drank young, and to be honest a very young Orval is frankly a bit dull in my opinion.

Just had a really good pint of London Pride at a nearby country pub (the Holly Bush, between St Albans and Hemel). When kept properly it really is one of my very favourite beers.

On the way out I complemented the barman on how well kept the beer was - ‘no surprise there’ he said, and told me that the landlady’s dad looks after that, and has won Fuller’s “cellar man of the year” award several times... :hat:

I used the Westmalle yeast WLP530 in the primary then added a vial of WLP650 to the secondary. It was then left for 10 weeks before bottling and has been in the bottle now for 5 months.

With the Bastogne yeast yours will be more "authentically" Orval-like, especially if using the dregs. That being said, the primary yeast character is very much muted when the brett does its thing.

Yeah it's a very different beast when drank young, and to be honest a very young Orval is frankly a bit dull in my opinion.
Hmmm interesting, did you see a big drop in gravity from the Brett in that 10 week period.

The split batch is partially to taste the Brett affect alongside the base beer, but also wanted to compare Bastogne against Ardennes for non Brett Belgian Pales & IPA's as I have only used Ardennes for these styles so far.

My next beermerchants order I will have to get some Orval and hide it at my parents for a few months😁

Just tried one of these. It's got a lovely spice to it (coriander, orange, nutmeg) you can really feel the nutmeg on your tongue. Perfect for a rainy day.
IMG_20200930_164849_461.jpg

Now onto one of these I picked up in Morrisons. The aroma is amazing, chocolate caramel 😍 Nice and smooth, maybe a little thin, but it feels right if that makes sense? I'll definitely pick up a few more of these.
IMG_20200930_172058.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back