What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking a lemon saison, very kindly sent to me by @strange-steve . Really intrigued by this beer, love a saison.

Aroma. Smells really clean and crisp, very apparent citrus notes. Inviting hop aroma, makes you want to dive in. Very, very good indeed.

Appearance. Hazy, pale straw coloured. Beautiful fluffy white head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Looks very pretty.

Mouthfeel. Spot on carbonation. This beer obviously has a low fg and is refreshingly dry, but the initial impression is sweet fullness, before that crispness cleanses the palette leaving you ready for another sip.

Flavour. I'm interested in the yeast that you've used? Not getting a lot from it, although that dryness is clearly indicative of a saison yeast (I'm guessing fermented at the lower end of the temp range). But that is a good thing in my opinion as it allows the lemon and hop flavours to shine, rather than compete with them. Speaking of the lemon, it is obvious and in balance, but how did you get it in there? Bitterness is just right, and works well with the fg and citrus flavours.

Overall impression. This is my type of beer. Crisp, refreshing, packed with flavour. It's also very elegant. Thanks for sharing. I'm sitting at home with my brother, and we've had a few commercial beers, including a well known Belgian blonde, and we agreed that none of them are the equal of your beer.

Drinking a lemon saison, very kindly sent to me by @strange-steve . Really intrigued by this beer, love a saison.

Aroma. Smells really clean and crisp, very apparent citrus notes. Inviting hop aroma, makes you want to dive in. Very, very good indeed.

Appearance. Hazy, pale straw coloured. Beautiful fluffy white head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Looks very pretty.

Mouthfeel. Spot on carbonation. This beer obviously has a low fg and is refreshingly dry, but the initial impression is sweet fullness, before that crispness cleanses the palette leaving you ready for another sip.

Flavour. I'm interested in the yeast that you've used? Not getting a lot from it, although that dryness is clearly indicative of a saison yeast (I'm guessing fermented at the lower end of the temp range). But that is a good thing in my opinion as it allows the lemon and hop flavours to shine, rather than compete with them. Speaking of the lemon, it is obvious and in balance, but how did you get it in there? Bitterness is just right, and works well with the fg and citrus flavours.

Overall impression. This is my type of beer. Crisp, refreshing, packed with flavour. It's also very elegant. Thanks for sharing. I'm sitting at home with my brother, and we've had a few commercial beers, including a well known Belgian blonde, and we agreed that none of them are the equal of your beer.
I had this last night. Lovely beer. I think he used a dry yeast belle Saison. I got more yeast character as it warmed up...
Really light👌

Another try of my CCC pale...it's rather good...it's very young though...my initial thoughts...very slightly drop the bitterness and slightly increase the sweetness...but then...no I won't!

I seemed to get a lot from the yeast on this beer..belle saison I believe.

Next for me is this tripel flavoured with galangal root, coriander, chilli, and lemongrass (no I don't know what galangal root is either). None of these flavourings are really obvious but it's a damn nice tripel nonetheless.
w2nWzyA.jpg

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed it. Yep Belle Saison, it was my first time using it so I was a little cautious with the fermentation temperature which probably made it a bit cleaner. The lemon flavour came from the zest of two lemons added along with the dry hops for 5 days thumb.

Next for me is this tripel flavoured with galangal root, coriander, chilli, and lemongrass (no I don't know what galangal root is either). None of these flavourings are really obvious but it's a damn nice tripel nonetheless.
w2nWzyA.jpg
I suspect they are using ginger and trying to sound posh - wiki says “The word galangal, or its variant galanga, can refer in common usage to the aromatic rhizome of any of four plant species in the Zingiberaceae (ginger) family

Sounds amazing regardless!

Galangal....it a bit like ginger.
I suspect they are using ginger and trying to sound posh - wiki says “The word galangal, or its variant galanga, can refer in common usage to the aromatic rhizome of any of four plant species in the Zingiberaceae (ginger) family

Sounds amazing regardless!
Actually there is a slight hint of ginger now you mention it, but not getting any chilli at all unfortunately.

Well I think chilli is very much to the individual...as for a generic "anything" I don't get it...unless it's very well done.
I love spicy and hot food but there's loads of difference in chilli.. most get it wrong and make it HOT.

Last edited:
AG#53 Munich Dunkel

20201018_103036.jpg

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring but doesn't stick around.

Colour - Very dark brown.

Aroma - Malty, a little sweet

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Modest carbonation, just enough. Medium mouthfeel, more than you might expect for only 4.7% ABV and very un-lager-like.

Taste - Like liquid granary bread crusts, possibly a hint of toast. Dark and rich but not roasty. Sweetness in balance with bitterness so it's neither caramelly (there's no crystal malt in it!) nor harsh.

Overall - I really like this beer, it's very moreish, malty and satisfying. It's not a lawnmower beer or a sink-half-a-dozen-of-them-by-the-bbq beer but as the weather turns cooler it's very drinkable and absolutely on point for me.

Just bottled this little beauty first time of brewing it and not disappointed even bought another kit of the same...

Attachments

• Mangrove Jacks.jpg
    Mangrove Jacks.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 50
AG#53 Munich Dunkel

View attachment 34293

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring but doesn't stick around.

Colour - Very dark brown.

Aroma - Malty, a little sweet

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Modest carbonation, just enough. Medium mouthfeel, more than you might expect for only 4.7% ABV and very un-lager-like.

Taste - Like liquid granary bread crusts, possibly a hint of toast. Dark and rich but not roasty. Sweetness in balance with bitterness so it's neither caramelly (there's no crystal malt in it!) nor harsh.

Overall - I really like this beer, it's very moreish, malty and satisfying. It's not a lawnmower beer or a sink-half-a-dozen-of-them-by-the-bbq beer but as the weather turns cooler it's very drinkable and absolutely on point for me.
Did you use GH's recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back