What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Foolishly decided I would reorganise the brewcave, install a 50m cat6 cable from the house right round the garden and move my dartboard 35cm to the right. Have made a right mess, got no where near finishing any of the tasks and run out of steam so now its time for one of few remaining Old Tom clones. This is now a year old and I think the word they use is vinous. A very rewarding ale.

20201023_213146.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How's it tasting. Is the recipe still a hidden secret. What hops did you use
It as some potential. Only 15 days since brew day so needs some conditioning. Recipe is secret until the brewoff but gone away from my tried and tested bipa recipe which as scored well in previous comps.

Care to share a recipe? I'm planning a lightly spiced Christmas beer with something like Old Tom as the base beer.

@strange-steve posted it v recently on the 5 beers thread. Its basically the GW recipe but with about 1% of Carafa III in the grist. Crystal used was 200 EBC which I guess helps the dark fruits, figiness. Mash a bit low at 64C but there is still lots of residual sweetness. 2 packs of Notty yeastwise. Not yet located log to see what temperature fermented at.

@strange-steve posted it v recently on the 5 beers thread. Its basically the GW recipe but with about 1% of Carafa III in the grist. Crystal used was 200 EBC which I guess helps the dark fruits, figiness. Mash a bit low at 64C but there is still lots of residual sweetness. 2 packs of Notty yeastwise. Not yet located log to see what temperature fermented at.
How similar would you say it is? Since you're on your last bottle presumably it didn't take a year to come good?

How similar would you say it is? Since you're on your last bottle presumably it didn't take a year to come good?
Not done a side by side for a long time but to my relatively unrefined palate very similar. Its been good since at least the 8 week post packaging mark but its definitely continued to improve in spades. In some respects like a boozier Thrapston OP but not really any hot alcohol flavours. It would definitely be a good base for something festive but reckon you would need to cracking on this weekend to have any chance.

Not done a side by side for a long time but to my relatively unrefined palate very similar. Its been good since at least the 8 week post packaging mark but its definitely continued to improve in spades. In some respects like a boozier Thrapston OP but not really any hot alcohol flavours. It would definitely be a good base for something festive but reckon you would need to cracking on this weekend to have any chance.

Just to add I kegged it, force carbed and bulk conditioned prior to bottling some weeks later.

As part of the ongoing clear out just found a couple of ESBs from 2 years ago. I never liked this the first time, think it was Lallemand ESB dry yeast and I found the beer tart from the start. Its poured very bright but then I inadverantly topped up with the yeast. Its overcarbonated aswell - a hark back to a time of less accomplished skills. Might just chuck this.
20201023_223902.jpg

It's nice enough but you'd never know it was cascade from the flavour... should try to organise some way of drying the harvest next year 🤔
Tedious work drying without a dehumidifier as I've used the oven to dry out my Prima Donna and does take a while.
BTW any shouts for tshirts this year👍

Tedious work drying without a dehumidifier as I've used the oven to dry out my Prima Donna and does take a while.
BTW any shouts for tshirts this year👍
I'm wondering if I may just have found a use for the new warming drawer going in to the kitchen 🤔
It's no problem to do one/some more shirts the same as last time if you want any
acheers.

I'm wondering if I may just have found a use for the new warming drawer going in to the kitchen 🤔
It's no problem to do one/some more shirts the same as last time if you want any
acheers.
I'm up for that as it's a ritual now. We'll have to get @Chippy_Tea to get a thread going or can we ressurect the old one, must check. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back