What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20201025_143033.jpg

Keeps very well in plastic bottles...

But.. but... it says 'craft' on the bottle so mistakes are just new styles you haven't learned yet!

I started out on one of my newer stouts but it is a bit over carbed, so I am letting it settle a bit.

So I moved on to @strange-steve belgian quad.

Pours a nice deep dark brown with minimal head, very clear and seems to be about medium carbonated.
Aroma is a quick sour punch, like cherry sweet-tarts and sour apple and then some nice belgian caramel sugars. It's a really nice combo actually.
Flavours are sweet caramel malts, some toasty bread, and then some brett like barny character and a smooth creaminess that lingers. I feel some acidity in there after swallowing, but it doesn't show up on the palate very much. There is also not much bitterness at all just a hint of some earthiness, this is definitely geared towards the malt. Mouthfeel is coating and creamy, carbonation is in fact medium to medium low.

This is another one of those beers that has a radically different aroma than flavour, you seem to have a knack for this. I rather enjoyed this one, it's a really nice sipper for a cold day, one to be savored. It is also quite easy drinking for as malty it is, I would love to try it with a bit more carbonation to cut into that coating mouthfeel a bit. I am very intrigued by the yeast you used. It kind of makes me think this is what sour batch kidz from imperial yeast would taste like.

As always thanks for the swap!

20201025_153927.jpg

But.. but... it says 'craft' on the bottle so mistakes are just new styles you haven't learned yet!
That's true, putting "craft" on the bottle automatically adds an extra point to the Untappd score.

This unfortunately named Belfast Blonde which tastes like... have you ever tasted a sip of your starter wort to make sure it's not contaminated? That. Tastes like that.
rCAXyZX.jpg
that really sounds horrendous but such a great description. I really hate starter wort/beer.

I started out on one of my newer stouts but it is a bit over carbed, so I am letting it settle a bit.

So I moved on to @strange-steve belgian quad.

Pours a nice deep dark brown with minimal head, very clear and seems to be about medium carbonated.
Aroma is a quick sour punch, like cherry sweet-tarts and sour apple and then some nice belgian caramel sugars. It's a really nice combo actually.
Flavours are sweet caramel malts, some toasty bread, and then some brett like barny character and a smooth creaminess that lingers. I feel some acidity in there after swallowing, but it doesn't show up on the palate very much. There is also not much bitterness at all just a hint of some earthiness, this is definitely geared towards the malt. Mouthfeel is coating and creamy, carbonation is in fact medium to medium low.

This is another one of those beers that has a radically different aroma than flavour, you seem to have a knack for this. I rather enjoyed this one, it's a really nice sipper for a cold day, one to be savored. It is also quite easy drinking for as malty it is, I would love to try it with a bit more carbonation to cut into that coating mouthfeel a bit. I am very intrigued by the yeast you used. It kind of makes me think this is what sour batch kidz from imperial yeast would taste like.

As always thanks for the swap!

View attachment 34605
Thanks for this mate, I think that's one of the oddest beers I've brewed and I'm not too sure what to make of it. I think I'll leave it be for a while to see what it does. This is the recipe for it in case you're interested:

Bretted Quad

Recipe Specs

----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Estimated OG: 1.093
Estimated FG: 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 10.9 %
Colour (SRM): 30
Bitterness (IBU): 24

Grain Bill
----------------
5.55 kg Pilsner Malt (70%)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (6%)
0.45 kg CaraMunich I (6%)
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (2.5%)
Boil additions:
0.75 kg Homemade Candi Syrup - Dark (9.5%)
0.50 kg Cane Sugar (6%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 Minutes
35 g Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.3% AA) @ 20 Minutes

Notes
----------------
Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Rack to secondary and add harvested Brett B and leave for 8 weeks

Thanks for this mate, I think that's one of the oddest beers I've brewed and I'm not too sure what to make of it. I think I'll leave it be for a while to see what it does. This is the recipe for it in case you're interested:

Bretted Quad

Recipe Specs

----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Estimated OG: 1.093
Estimated FG: 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 10.9 %
Colour (SRM): 30
Bitterness (IBU): 24

Grain Bill
----------------
5.55 kg Pilsner Malt (70%)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (6%)
0.45 kg CaraMunich I (6%)
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (2.5%)
Boil additions:
0.75 kg Homemade Candi Syrup - Dark (9.5%)
0.50 kg Cane Sugar (6%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 Minutes
35 g Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.3% AA) @ 20 Minutes

Notes
----------------
Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Rack to secondary and add harvested Brett B and leave for 8 weeks
Jesus, that was 11%??????
I didn't get a whiff of alcohol.

Last night and up to now I have drank pub beer as I got some takeaway last night...the pub beer was good..TT LANDLORD, gamma ray,peroni,Yankee pale plus something else..
I've now cracked a Hazelwood Brewery bitter clone...and yes,my homebrew stacks up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back