What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting with a guest ale tonight. This is a Saison! from @Clint , flavoured with Saaz. I love Saaz in a Pilsner so I’m quite looking forward to this.

Carbonation is good. A healthy blast of CO2 as I cracked the cap and you can see from the picture the bubbles rising in the glass. The colour is a beautiful gold with an amber tinge. Clarity is excellent, I can clearly see the image on the TV through the crystal clear beer. A thin white head stuck around.

The aroma is typically saison with peppery spice and light fruity notes, in this case a delicate zesty orange.

The flavour is again typically saison with a clean slightly herbal quality and just a passing hint of sweetness before a mild bitterness takes over. Mouthfeel is good with a soft fizzy sensation as you press the beer against the roof of your mouth - makes me smile.

There are no off flavours or astringency at all, just a really nice, clean, well-made saison. Great job Clint, nicely done:hat:

View attachment 41749
I'm glad you like! Thanks for the kind comments!

In the mood for Saaz now so Czech Pilsner it is.

A721E2B2-A9AB-4D3E-9646-1677633BA1DD.jpeg

Aldi 10-4 Brewing India Pale Lager, which, when I scan the bar code into myfitnesspal, comes up as Cameron's Brewing IPL, which sort of gives the game away as to who brews this for them, :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

It's interesting having a lager with late hop bite, it's much nicer than Guinness Hop house, but if I am honest, and completely immodest, it's not as nice as my house lager, which I should try brewing with some late new word hops. God I miss brewing. Bloody garage door / work.

Next up Aldi 10-4 Brewing Brut IPA. This is very sherbety. Does that make sense? Nice enough, altyi wouldn't say is was dramatically different from any New World IPA. I was expecting champagne levels of dryness - is that not what these brut IPAs are all about? I'm a bit confused, if I'm totally honest.

Another Czech Pilsner.

View attachment 41755

Unfortunately, that apparent carbonation was immediately after I poured a bottle and 30 seconds later - almost no bubbles. I need to get better at bottling.
I just bottled my Czech pilsner. Bit of a ball's up I was expecting it to finish 1.008 it was at 1.014. Not sure were I went wrong. 10 for 7 days then raised up to 18 over 7 days. 7 days cold crash at 2 degrees.
Not a happy camper

I just bottled my Czech pilsner. Bit of a ball's up I was expecting it to finish 1.008 it was at 1.014. Not sure were I went wrong. 10 for 7 days then raised up to 18 over 7 days. 7 days cold crash at 2 degrees.
Not a happy camper
Needed more time fermenting.

Not one to hang about I just pitched the yeast to my own doppelbock. I decided to try @Hazelwood Brewery doppelbock. This only landed today but it's from a keg so it's good to go.
Pours a lovely dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light. Perfect carbonation and excellent clarify. Nice tan head which lasts
Aroma, big hit of sweet malt, roast and a hint of chocolate
Flavour, really nice. Big toasty bread with nice sweet malt. Very coating on the palate. Chocolate on the after taste with low bitterness. Clean finish
I have never tasted a doppelbock, this is spot on for my tastes. If mine tastes similar I will be a happy man.
Thank you for sending 👍
IMG_20210219_211337989.jpg

Not one to hang about I just pitched the yeast to my own doppelbock. I decided to try @Hazelwood Brewery doppelbock. This only landed today but it's from a keg so it's good to go.
Pours a lovely dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light. Perfect carbonation and excellent clarify. Nice tan head which lasts
Aroma, big hit of sweet malt, roast and a hint of chocolate
Flavour, really nice. Big toasty bread with nice sweet malt. Very coating on the palate. Chocolate on the after taste with low bitterness. Clean finish
I have never tasted a doppelbock, this is spot on for my tastes. If mine tastes similar I will be a happy man.
Thank you for sending 👍
View attachment 41758

It is a bit of a malt monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back