What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome friend!😜
Likewise you have more sunshine than us, we have a frost and a nice half fog going outside. is beautiful.

20210109_134441.jpg

This one caught my attention. 4 years old now.

It's still my all time favorite beer. It's utter bliss in a glass. Tastes like the most decadent vanilla cake, mixed with a freshly baked bread, finishing off with fresh caramel from a sweet shop. Absolutely ******* amazing. Highly recommend to get a spot at the brewery, jump on a ferry and get down there to pick up two cases. The 12 is better than the 8. And st Bernardus is not the same.

20210109_143448.jpg

This one caught my attention. 4 years old now.

It's still my all time favorite beer. It's utter bliss in a glass. Tastes like the most decadent vanilla cake, mixed with a freshly baked bread, finishing off with fresh caramel from a sweet shop. Absolutely ******* amazing. Highly recommend to get a spot at the brewery, jump on a ferry and get down there to pick up two cases. The 12 is better than the 8. And st Bernardus is not the same.

View attachment 39204
Is that the one the monks only brew once a year and only charge as much for the whole batch as it costs to run the monastery for another year? But peeps that own pubs buy them for about £2 a bottle and then charge obscene amounts for them? If so, I have tried it. Think it cost me £30 for the pleasure.

Is that the one the monks only brew once a year and only charge as much for the whole batch as it costs to run the monastery for another year? But peeps that own pubs buy them for about £2 a bottle and then charge obscene amounts for them? If so, I have tried it. Think it cost me £30 for the pleasure.
Yes with a few caveats they brew all year and the dipshits selling them for £30 per bottle are taking advantage of a good thing and their bottles only taste 50% as good as if you went to the Abbey and picked yourself up some. You also promise not to resell when you buy them, but apparently some don't give a **** about the rules man.

Another funny story about westvleteren. Back in the day, before covid you had to call to schedule an appointment and I think they only had one monk answering the phone and something like 60k calls a day. Anyway I used to call and call trying to get through to them, for weeks and weeks without getting an answer. Then I figured out that the best time to call was about 10 minutes before the time slot expired and I think everyone had given up by then. Ended up going to the brewery about 5 times in a 3 year span. But oddly enough the cafe was never open when I was there so I always made a side trip to de struise which is a couple miles away. Anyway if anyone is going to Belgium for a beer tour these two should not be missed.

Alright this one is overdue.

@pilgrimhudd Wheal Rose Weizenbock.

Pours a beautiful deep amber brown. A slight bit of haze might be chill haze. Looks great.
Aroma is a nice candied malt with some banana esters and a hint of alcohol.
Flavour is sweet malt up front, settles into a nice caramel malt with a bit of the wheat citrus I usually get from wheat beers and then there is a little bitterness and a very nice banana flavour lingers for a while.
This is the second bottle I have had of this weizenbock and I am glad I let this one sit and age for a bit. The flavours are much more pronounced now. It's very easy drinking and delicious. Light on the palate which is very fitting for the style, it's also not too heavy on the alcohol but still full of flavour. Very nice job pilgrimhudd! And thanks for sending this one to me!

20210109_161219.jpg

What with this brexit nonsense where are you guys buying your belgian beers from these days?

I saw belgium in a box went bust and some of the others arent shipping to the UK now....

What with this brexit nonsense where are you guys buying your belgian beers from these days?

I saw belgium in a box went bust and some of the others arent shipping to the UK now....
I bought a case form Germany and it made it here ok, a bit late due to the covid shutdown. Can't remember the website.

The belgians I have had for a long time from when I lived on that side of the sea.

I remember it being nice but nowhere near worth the money. The exclusivity of the beer gives it a status that it doesn't quite deserve, IMO. It's nice but hardly the best beer in the world. About 6 of us went to the beer festival at Grand Place and went to a bar we knew had it. It was paid for out of the kitty so everyone could try it. The bar steward was taking the **** with that price but you don't go on a beer drinking holiday and deny yourself such a highly rated beer.

You could try beergium.com but I don't know if they still post to the UK.

I remember it being nice but nowhere near worth the money. The exclusivity of the beer gives it a status that it doesn't quite deserve, IMO. It's nice but hardly the best beer in the world. About 6 of us went to the beer festival at Grand Place and went to a bar we knew had it. It was paid for out of the kitty so everyone could try it. The bar steward was taking the **** with that price but you don't go on a beer drinking holiday and deny yourself such a highly rated beer.
Yeah I did the same in Bruges, dropped €22 on one. I do think they are better after aging a couple years. But yeah no beer could ever live up to €30 per bottle. There is just too much good beer out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back