What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've drunk all my flip tops so I'm drinking Hazy Jane from Brewdog.

Next up @dave_77 American amber.
Excellent clarity and carbonation. Lovely red colour.
Big aroma of citrus and definitely Amarillo in there. People get orange I get melon. Backed up with light malt. Hops dominate
Flavour matches the aroma really big hit of the hops. Nice body and mouth feel with light bitterness and sweetness.
Interesting beer, personally I would like a more malt body for an American amber. Really hoppy but that's not a complaint. Would like to know your thoughts on it.
Thanks again for sharing, this was way better than my last attempt 👍
IMG_20210122_205317011.jpg

Last edited:
First of the night is @Hopsteep Groundswell English style porter
Nice level of carbonation, dark but not black like a deep red when held to the light. Nice thin head which lasts
Aroma is sweet malt with a light fruit aroma.
Taste wise matches the aroma, really interesting fruity note. Looking forward to hearing your yeast choice. Sweet malt with light chocolate. Bitterness and carbonation is spot on.
I really enjoyed this, it wasn't the beer I was expecting. Thank you for sharing
View attachment 39973

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the kind review. It was the Ringwood strain which as you say throws off some lovely complex fruit flavours 🍺

My dry January effort officially ended tonight. 6lbs of weight lost in 3 weeks but a house move falling through, a tough week at work and a bloody sore back has put the wife and I over the edge.

So, 1st drink was a glass of rose with dinner (didn't touch the sides!).

Second was a glass of Bourbon Bochet Mead that I bottled back in November- meh! Might have fallen out of love with brewing mead after my year old Christmas Spiced Orange Mead was a severe anti-climax when I opened it at Christmas. My signature Devil's Poison (Hibiscus Mead) is about the only true success in my many brews of mead.

Third, and present glass, hic!, was the 120ml sample taken from my Freckled Hen (Old Speckled Hen clone from Oak Homebrew) - tastes lovely now, so in a few weeks after carbonating and conditioning should taste amazing!

Next is a MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA which was bottled back in the beginning of December. Looking forward to that one. Hic!

Next up my hazy IPA. I think I threatened to give this away the last time I had a sample. Just disappointed with the hops. 280g of azacca mosiac El Dorado. It's not bad but not a show stopper either. I really struggle brewing this style. Colour is still good, back to the drawing board. Any suggestions 🧐
IMG_20210122_213518125.jpg

Next up @dave_77 American amber.
Exactly clarity and carbonation. Lovely red colour.
Big aroma of citrus and definitely Amarillo in there. People get orange I get melon. Backed up with light malt. Hops dominate
Flavour matches the aroma really big hit of the hops. Nice body and mouth feel with light bitterness and sweetness.
Interesting beer, personally I would like a more malt body for an American amber. Really hoppy but that's not a complaint. Would like to know your thoughts on it.
Thanks again for sharing, this was way better than my last attempt 👍
View attachment 39976
Cheers for the comments. Im fairly happy with this one, I have had a little pale chocolate in previous versions but I like the colour of this one so have left it out. Hops were Chinook in the boil & Mosiac, centennial & Crystal dry hop. I had been thinking think Chinook might have been too spicy with the Mosiac..

Cheers for the comments. Im fairly happy with this one, I have had a little pale chocolate in previous versions but I like the colour of this one so have left it out. Hops were Chinook in the boil & Mosiac, centennial & Crystal dry hop. I had been thinking think Chinook might have been too spicy with the Mosiac..
Shows you what I know. Mosiac being probably my most used and favourite hop. I didn't pick it out. The beer was very enjoyable and bright. I could easily pint away at it. I didn't actually realise it's over 6 %, it drinks alot lighter.
I will get my beers posted on Monday. 👍

Shows you what I know. Mosiac being probably my most used and favourite hop. I didn't pick it out. The beer was very enjoyable and bright. I could easily pint away at it. I didn't actually realise it's over 6 %, it drinks alot lighter.
I will get my beers posted on Monday. 👍
Cool. Looking forward to trying 😁

Tonight’s guest ale is a 5% Sweet Chocolate Stout from @chrisb8

On opening the bottle there was a gentle escape of CO2 so this beer will be softly carbonated. The pour was a smooth laminar flow of black viscous beer so already I can tell this has some body. Not much of a head and what I did coax faded to a ring of small bubbles around the glass. The beer is completely opaque.

Aroma is bitter chocolate, smooth latte coffee, and chocolate malt. There’s a hint of molasses maybe.

The flavour is quite intense, maybe even approaching an imperial in terms of its intensity. The flavour is much like the aroma and there’s an impression of liquorice from the dark malt intensity. The sweetness of this beer is well judged and is balanced. Bitterness is mild. The body as might be obvious from above is very full and with the residual sweetness leaves my lips slightly tacky.

The finish tends toward a mocha and right at the end I’m occasionally picking up a hint of pepper that I wasn’t expecting but quite like.

This is a very satisfying beer Chris and is an excellent substitute for an imperial stout if you really want one but have a 5am start at work! Thanks very much for sending it to me, I enjoyed it very much.

PS Are you sure this is only 5%?

View attachment 39893
Thank you @Hazelwood Brewery for the great review and for taking the time to write such detailed feedback. Glad you enjoyed it :D The OG was 1.062 and FG 1.024 giving 5% but it has quite a bit of lactose in which probably gives the overall effect you mention. Cheers acheers.

Just opened my latest small batch SMaSH brew made using El Dorado hops, it's good but perhaps a bit too subtle for what I was intending, it's a very easy drinker though - dangerous at 6.3% 😯View attachment 39953
How many grams did you use in your recipe, I have got 100 grams and am brewing an all el dorado this week but will use 18 grams magnum for buttering, any input would be greatly appreciated 👍🍻

How many grams did you use in your recipe, I have got 100 grams and am brewing an all el dorado this week but will use 18 grams magnum for buttering, any input would be greatly appreciated 👍🍻
I used 12 grams @60 minutes; 12 grams @ flame out and I dry hopped with 25 grams for 3 days after fermentation had finished.

I used 12 grams @60 minutes; 12 grams @ flame out and I dry hopped with 25 grams for 3 days after fermentation had finished.
What size batch did you make , and how many hops would you use if you made again.. cheers 🍻👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back