What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best picture I could get. It’s a little over-carbonated. Would it really be ruined in the 20 seconds I had the lid off? Really sad if it is.

View attachment 51603

It doesn't look quite that murky in person but I can see what you mean when you say it's oxidised. It tastes nice though, it's such a shame. In hindsight I should've pulled the PRV on the all-rounder after I'd added the dry hops. Ugh!
What's your recipe, it looks dark for a Neipa

Best picture I could get. It’s a little over-carbonated. Would it really be ruined in the 20 seconds I had the lid off? Really sad if it is.

View attachment 51603

It doesn't look quite that murky in person but I can see what you mean when you say it's oxidised. It tastes nice though, it's such a shame. In hindsight I should've pulled the PRV on the all-rounder after I'd added the dry hops. Ugh!
It actually looks better in that glass but still not right. What was your grain bill?

it is all pale malts, wheat, oat and pale ale malt, with 0.8% caramel malt 100ebc. It was supposed to come out at 8.9 EBC - I just can't understand the colour. I am putting it down to a chemical reaction with the acid I think. It happened to me before when I made that Rosemary mead - you may have seen the post perhaps?

It is literally only 10 days since I brewed it as well!

Experimental brew QC test, I brewed this on Saturday lager malt sorachi and sazz and cml Voss slurry pitched at 40c, it’s in the keg taste wise it’s not bad, just trying to see if I can do a 5 day brew aka Dr Hann
C91AAC69-8F36-4E0A-A18A-F072612053B4.jpeg

it is all pale malts, wheat, oat and pale ale malt, with 0.8% caramel malt 100ebc. It was supposed to come out at 8.9 EBC - I just can't understand the colour. I am putting it down to a chemical reaction with the acid I think. It happened to me before when I made that Rosemary mead - you may have seen the post perhaps?

If it tastes nice do as big H recommend, close your eyes 😄
I have the opposite problem, I have a bright hazy pale which looks well but tastes bad. You can't win them all
IMG_20210727_141504622.jpg
This has a chemical taste and the 250g of hops are not present at all. The chemical taste is fading but I can see this keg going down the drain 😩

Oh no you're not much better off are you lol. If I binned mine my husband would divorce me 😂

Did I mention it has some flavour essences in it too? Not a lot though and it shouldn't have turned it murky. I give up lol

It’s a bit of a long shot but I have had mislabelled malt before. 🤷‍♂️

Your beer should be about the same colour as my Summer Breeze. Did you notice the colour of the wort as you were mashing? Was it already dark before the boil or was it very light and the colour developed during the boil - those Maillard reactions I noted.

If it tastes nice do as big H recommend, close your eyes 😄
I have the opposite problem, I have a bright hazy pale which looks well but tastes bad. You can't win them all
View attachment 51607
This has a chemical taste and the 250g of hops are not present at all. The chemical taste is fading but I can see this keg going down the drain 😩
You two need to get together, look at Samale’s brew, drink Lisa’s!

It’s a bit of a long shot but I have had mislabelled malt before. 🤷‍♂️

Your beer should be about the same colour as my Summer Breeze. Did you notice the colour of the wort as you were mashing? Was it already dark before the boil or was it very light and the colour developed during the boil - those Maillard reactions I noted.

Yes it was normal during the mash but by the end of the boil it had gone dark. Weird. I did have a pump blockage so I couldn't use my plate chiller either which made me panic even more. But it's only ten days since I brewed it.

https://share.brewfather.app/e5n6KxZFXXynA4
It's actually a cross between a NEIPA and a Blonde, hence the name.

The final gravity is wrong - it came out at 1.005

Last edited:
Yes it was normal during the mash but by the end of the boil it had gone dark. Weird. I did have a pump blockage so I couldn't use my plate chiller either which made me panic even more. But it's only ten days since I brewed it.

https://share.brewfather.app/e5n6KxZFXXynA4
It's actually a cross between a NEIPA and a Blonde, hence the name.
OK. Was the wort clear when it went into the boil or was it murky at that stage, albeit light coloured?

This murky blue nightmare is the first proper glass of my tropical sour IPA.

Not even sure where to start when describing this one. Lovely tropical aroma from the Azacca, Amaillo and Citra coming through. The fruitiness comes through in the taste, not terribly sour but I think I was right in adjusting the water to a neutral sulphide to chloride ratio as there is no unpleasant bitterness or sharp edges.

In hindsight I could/should have mashed it at 69c and forced the F.G up to give it more body but as it is its light (F.G 1.012) and very drinkable and very weird!

Ocean Water.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it had cleared. as much as it can do i suppose with the wheat and oat. a lot clearer than when it went in.

The wort may have been scorched I guess or may have darkened through Maillard reactions but these normally happen over an extended time at higher temperatures. I don’t use the same kit as you so can’t give you any practical advice on avoiding this issue with your kit but if you have more than one element, maybe switch off the smaller one (or follow the advice of someone with the same kit).

If it is just over-cooked it will taste different and look different but maybe isn’t oxidised, time will tell🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back