What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guinness West Indies Porter - been wanting to try this for a while. Second beer of the night after my Oatmeal Porter. The Guinness edges it, a bit more carbonation, a bit fresher and hoppier up front with a darker, roastier kick on the finish. It's good.

IMG_20210919_193132.jpg

Guinness West Indies Porter - been wanting to try this for a while. Second beer of the night after my Oatmeal Porter. The Guinness edges it, a bit more carbonation, a bit fresher and hoppier up front with a darker, roastier kick on the finish. It's good.

View attachment 54487

Love the Guinness West Indies Porter, one of my beers last night.

After a late start yesterday I’m making up for it today.

This is a new glass, a gift from @dave_77 for giving him the odd lift home after a few beers - he calls all times of the day and night 😂

It seems only fitting (I was joking about Dave calling for a lift BTW) that it’s first use is with a beer from the man himself. This is Dave’s 5.8% Trappist Single.

The beer is crystal clear, a lovely golden yellow colour, and is well carbonated. The white head started quite fluffy and settled after a couple of minutes to a light raft covering the beer and drifting up the edges of the glass. A constant flow of tiny bubbles streaming to the surface keeping the head alive.

View attachment 54449

The aroma is slightly sweet malt and typically Belgian esters, more toward banana than clove. There’s also a clean fresh noble hop aroma in the background and maybe a hint of apple.

The flavour is beautiful, clean, and bright. The first thing to hit my palate is a smooth bitterness. As the beer warms in my mouth I taste banana then the full hit of Belgian esters and just a hint of citrus zing I wasn’t expecting from the aroma - but is nice. As I swallow I become aware of a little alcohol but it’s not at all strong and certainly not hot. A moment later the flavour is all about the malt, the lovely and distinctive taste of white bread-crust. At the end the malt fades to a soft bitterness that is different to the start - the initial bitterness is like an excited puppy doing the wall of death around the room, this is more your faithful friend lying by your side. The finish is dry with no residual sweetness and no tackiness on the lips.

I really enjoyed this beer, it’s very well made and I think it may be the best home-brewed beer in this style I’ve ever had, including my own.

Thank you Dave, great job mate! 👏👏👏

[Apologies for the length of this post, I enjoyed this beer 🤷‍♂️].

Yeah I thought this one was great too!

Next up @jayk34 west indies porter clone attempt.
Pours with good carbonation, nice head which fades leaving a ring around the glass.
Aroma: nice dark malt, chocolate. Very good
Flavour: nice full flavour, sweet caramel malt, chocolate. Good level of bitterness
Over all: this is a very nice porter that I enjoyed drinking and wood happily drink again. Still young enough so it's still improving. Would I pick it out as a west indies porter, I think not. Well done

Cheers for the swap. I have a porter conditioning I will sent one up when it's ready 👍
IMG_20210806_000826524.jpg

Next up @jayk34 west indies porter clone attempt.
Pours with good carbonation, nice head which fades leaving a ring around the glass.
Aroma: nice dark malt, chocolate. Very good
Flavour: nice full flavour, sweet caramel malt, chocolate. Good level of bitterness
Over all: this is a very nice porter that I enjoyed drinking and wood happily drink again. Still young enough so it's still improving. Would I pick it out as a west indies porter, I think not. Well done

Cheers for the swap. I have a porter conditioning I will sent one up when it's ready 👍
View attachment 54498
Thanks, Glad you liked it. As you say definitely not close to West indies porter but at least drinkable.

I enjoyed it, we all live in hope that someone can crack the da Vinci code that is west indies porter.

What else are you brewing.
Yeah might try again with a modified recipe.

I have the American IPA from Greg Hughes book that is in bottle about 2 weeks and I'm quite enjoying it as a change from my usual dark beers. Also a slightly modified dry stout about 4 weeks in bottle. I currently have the oatmeal stout in the fermentation fridge due to be bottled in about 7 days. After that I'm going to try the milk Stout.

Trying my own porter now. This is very young but really nice. Time to put this away for a while. It's actually a recipe @dave_77 put me on to. It's the Indian export porter clone on BYO
View attachment 54499
Looks nice. I thought about trying the hokum stomp recipe from the camra book but don't know what the original tastes like.

Trying my own porter now. This is very young but really nice. Time to put this away for a while. It's actually a recipe @dave_77 put me on to. It's the Indian export porter clone on BYO
View attachment 54499
I've done that one, very much enjoyed it. What hops did you use? I recall Bramling cross is what I used, but I think the kernel use different hops depending on what finish want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back