What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just polishing off a very nice Gumballhead from Redwulf of this parish's recipe. I must add another batch to the list! athumb..

foamy beer.jpg

Lot of coffee flavor (probably mentioned that before). It's a good one.

Sampling the Summer Breeze a few days after my last taste. The colour is still bright and the bitterness is starting to smooth out. The hop flavour is still a bit lacking in this batch and I’m wondering if that’s because I’ve reduced the Vienna malt resulting in a little less sweetness.

52EA494F-209C-4F4F-B740-08BFDA376F82.jpeg

Sampling the Summer Breeze a few days after my last taste. The colour is still bright and the bitterness is starting to smooth out. The hop flavour is still a bit lacking in this batch and I’m wondering if that’s because I’ve reduced the Vienna malt resulting in a little less sweetness.

View attachment 56373
I reduced the Vienna in my last APA and wondered something similar. Although of course I constantly change the hop bill so its hard to tell. I do think I will up it again and probable settle on 35-40% with the rest pale malt.

Staying near Hereford for a couple of days and can't find a local bottled beer anywhere. I thought I'd be drowning in Butty Bach.

Ended up buying Proper Job from Tesco yesterday as I couldn't find any independent beer shops. Did a little better today with a couple of cans from the (not particularly local) Stroud Brewery found in a deli. This is very drinkable and at 3.8% an easy way into the evening.

IMG_20211026_173909.jpg

I reduced the Vienna in my last APA and wondered something similar. Although of course I constantly change the hop bill so its hard to tell. I do think I will up it again and probable settle on 35-40% with the rest pale malt.
I’m thinking of increasing the Vienna again in the next batch and see if that restores the juicy fruit flavour. The current batch is nice but it’s more dry and pithy tasting at the moment. It is still young though so another week should tell.

Another prezzie from the son and we’re keeping it local this time, with this mixed berry pastry sour from Brew York (one of my favourite breweries).

It is a fabulous colour, with bracing sourness but no head whatsoever. My sour didn’t sustain much head either so must be the style I guess.

You almost expect it to taste like red wine from the colour and the aroma, but you get a very dark fruit flavour and I suspect the fruit is adding to the sourness.

Really like this, very refreshing.

8F1A848F-E50E-4F43-A6D7-560E905F3FFA.jpeg

Drinking a lot more than I do on a weekday but you know when you’re in the mood to drink? Well that’s today! 😁👏

Another one from the son - a cookie dough ice cream porter. Not as sweet as I expected but again very nice. The son and DIL have very good taste. 😬

View attachment 56389
…there’s another mood? :oops:

IMG_20211026_190115.jpg

This is the not-very-Czechish Pale ale with Saaz.
The malt was Bairds pale Maris Otter, so the flavour is a bit richly maltier than hoped for - I've done some looking around since brewing and that seems to be the character of this malt.
Not sure I've said on this thread but I had brain fade during the Brew and completely forgot to add the Protofloc.
So why so stunningly clear?
Just water, salts, malt and hops, nearly forgot to say - a little Muesli base crushed mixed grains.
I pump the whole lot out from the Hopcat bottom pump outlet into the FV with no filtration, so it's not clear before or during fermentation!
Yeast was many generations recovered Nottingham/Gervin/Wilko.
Oh - the taste - it's fine - it's beer, just not what I had hoped for!
My Father always said that I seemed to expect to make a Silk purse out of a Sow's ear;
and then he told me - you can't!

Staying near Hereford for a couple of days and can't find a local bottled beer anywhere. I thought I'd be drowning in Butty Bach.

Ended up buying Proper Job from Tesco yesterday as I couldn't find any independent beer shops. Did a little better today with a couple of cans from the (not particularly local) Stroud Brewery found in a deli. This is very drinkable and at 3.8% an easy way into the evening.

View attachment 56380

Just past noon here but figured I'd post my pint anyway. Cheers!
View attachment 56392
Go for it!
Guinness is good for you!
And it can't do you any harm, especially as that can is not even a full American pint (16 fl oz), let alone an Imperial one (20 fl oz).
Had to get that one in, as it's the only thing in the US that's smaller than here in the UK!
Watch out with your recipes, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back