What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

I'm assuming recipe can be found in your brewday thread? My lagers to date have been average but with 30L ashbeck littering up the place, planning one imminently. Couple of packs of Wyeast 34/70 in the fridge just need a basic reliable recipe and to go back to basics before weather starts getting warmer. 14C again today in SE London, NW Kent but due another cold snap next week.

Yes it is, also my Czech Pilsner (which I actually prefer - Saaz hops are beautiful).

Both also use a warm fermenting lager yeast. Recipes:

Having decided on a lager - probably a Pilsner. I’ve been thinking about my recipe and this is what I’ve put together, views welcome.

BJCP suggest water with a higher proportion of sulphates for a dryer finish so I’m thinking maybe Cl:24, SO4:84, Ca:48. (0.05g/l chloride, 0.15g/l sulphate, 20 litres RO water). Not thinking of adding any salts to the sparge water.

The recipe is simple...

Czech Pilsner 6.3%
5Kg Pilsner malt
Mash for 75mins at 145F (62.8C)

I don’t have any German noble hops so it will be Saaz (with apologies to the purists).

60g Saaz leaf, AA=3.2%, 60mins, 26 IBUs

1/2 protofloc tablet at 10 mins
40g Saaz leaf, AA=3.2%, 10mins, 4 IBUs

(My gravity was a little low so I added 500g of glucose here)

22 litres in FV, OG=1052
1 pack California Lager Yeast

Keg on day 12, FG=1004
I’ve just finished today’s brew, a German Pilsner. It came out at 1045 so I expect I’ll be looking at something just over 5%. A little over 22 litres now fermenting in the brew-shed.

View attachment 37172

Water profile: Cl=24, SO4=84, Ca=48

German Pilsner ~ 5.3%
5Kg Pilsner malt
Mash for 75 mins at 145F (62.78C)

60g Tettnang AA=3% 60 mins 26 IBU

40g Tettnang AA=3% 10 mins 4 IBU

500g glucose 0 mins

22 litres in FV, OG=1045
M54 California lager yeast

Keg on day 12, FG=1004

Cleared up after tea - a nice spatccocked peri peri chicken and ungrateful offspring have ensconced themselves on xbox on family telly so I have been exiled back to the brewcave which had all been shut down. Celebrating my isolation with a taste of barleywine.

20210203_212708.jpg

@Rodcx500z it's officially over. I don't know who to blame. Covid or Jordan Pickford, Sunday now is meaningless 🤬

Definitely Pickford if he'd done that in the street he'd have been nicked for ABH. How in this VAR world it went without sanction is just another mystery. Also squad players whilst they can look good when its all going well, just collect their money and don't have the desire. Cf Shaquiri

So to cheer myself up I am having @pilgrimhudd IPA. Don't have anymore info
Pours a light orange slightly hazy with low carbonation.
Aroma citrus, piney with something in behind that I can't really pick out.
Flavour matches the aroma, citrus & pine. This is different to what I would say is a normally IPA. It hasn't got a clean finish if that makes sense.
Overall a strange one for me
Thank you for sharing, can you share the recipe 👍
IMG_20210203_222957747.jpg

Really enjoyed it, what was the abv and FG of it. I might give it a shot myself
Recipe details as below athumb..

Vow of Silence
Belgian Tripel

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
OG: 1.079
FG: 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.9 %
Colour (SRM): 5
Bitterness (IBU): 33

Grain Bill
----------------
5.500 kg Pilsner (82%)
0.120 kg Melanoidin (2%)
0.065 kg Acidulated Malt (1%)

1.000 kg Clear Candi Syrup (15%) - Boil Addition @ 15 Minutes

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 30 Minutes
15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 5 Minutes

Misc Bill
----------------
3 g Crushed Coriander Seed @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Notes
----------------
Mash:
63C for 20 Mins
66C for 20 Mins
69C for 20 Mins
77C for 10 Mins

Water:
90 calcium
10 alkalinity
80 sulphate
120 chloride

Fermented with Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Pitch at 19C and raise by 1C per day up to 24C

I have a Klarstein Maishfest 35L ,and i am very happy with it.Just a heads up ,if you get one and it suddenly cuts out when doing your boil , just press the reset button which is underneath ,it just means a bit of wort has burnt on the bottom of the vessel .
Any wonder I like a pint after watching that. To make matters worse my youngest son has declared himself a united fan. Wtf
🤮
My daughters boyfriend is a manc fan sick...

Any wonder I like a pint after watching that. To make matters worse my youngest son has declared himself a united fan. Wtf
🤮

Time to start paying his own rent then. We were brought up on Merseyside as reds - the whole family - and my 12 year younger brother jumped on the (at the time) glory train and decided he was supporting the Mancs. These days I have defected to Crystal Palace but his treachery is difficult to forgive for all of us. Even my South London kids prefer to see Ole's demise above Brighton, Charlton and Millwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back