What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting tonight with a Summer Breeze. This version had Citra in the mash, fewer hops in the hopstand, and had no dry hop addition. It doesn’t seem much (any?) less hoppy. The next version in my mash hopping experiment will have ONLY a mash hop addition, I want to know if the flavour/aroma makes it through into the final product.

View attachment 59783
I am very curious about this, also do you think your utilization is dropping in the hopstand and dry hop in the original recipe?

Candy cane Porter, it's a remarkable example tastes exactly like a cocoa porter and a candy cane would if mixed. As suspected I am not enjoying it but happy I tried it. It's getting dumped...

PXL_20211221_002308512.jpg

I am very curious about this, also do you think your utilization is dropping in the hopstand and dry hop in the original recipe?
Some of the research suggests that the vegetable matter in hops added later in your process absorbs previously released oils/thiols so there is an optimum regime to retain maximum flavour/aroma but the science is immature and it isn’t clear what that regime is yet. I dropped the late dry hop addition on this basis but I don’t think it made a big difference either way - maybe in a wort loaded with precursors, dry hopping takes away as much as it gives if this research is right?

If mash hopping can load the wort with precursors and fermentation with the right yeast(s) can release them then maybe mash hopping alone could be a solution for bittering, flavour, aroma, and antioxidant. I’ll be testing this by putting all my hop additions (300g) into the mash. 🤞

So having been entertaining for the last two nights, we’ve gotten a little behind with the old calendar. So we’re going to try to get through these today at some point! What a hardship! 😜

View attachment 59811
I already have a 4 pack of the MLQ and a 4 pack of PV so i've no problems with these being in the pack and I do love a wit athumb..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back