What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice again. You're a real charmer.

Tim said
Nice. You're quite the hard man.

Tim said
Do you not read back what you've posted?

@Tim Wilkes if you took the time to read the full thread instead of jumping in because of one post you didn't like you would have know a line was drawn under this many posts ago and Leon and Lisa have buried the hatchet there was no reason for you to get involved in fact all you have done is start a new argument between you and Leon which isn't helpful in future use the report button which alerts the moderators if you have a problem with a members post.

Last edited:
E6639DEA-7BBB-41AC-A11E-26EB0C2F6C4A.jpeg
Winter Wheat 4%

40/60 mix of Pilsner and wheat hopped with Saaz and Hallertau Hersbrucker yeast was CML Gretel fermented for 7 days transferred to a keg and force carbed.

The thing I really like about Wheat beers is how easy they are to get right I used to think Stouts where the most idiot proof beers but this beer was grain to glass in 7 days fermented at 30°C and has a lovely banana flavour, I will up the carbonation level a tad but it is otherwise great.

Can I ask about wheat beers please @obscure? The hubster has just brewed a strawberry wheat beer and although it's nice (I don't drink beer so that's saying something) it has a slight off flavour. Do you think this is down to the strawberries or the wheat?

Can I ask about wheat beers please @obscure? The hubster has just brewed a strawberry wheat beer and although it's nice (I don't drink beer so that's saying something) it has a slight off flavour. Do you think this is down to the strawberries or the wheat?
I’m not sure how much help ai can be in this, what I have brewed is a Weizenbock which if my understanding is correct you actually want to actively have several factors that will be considered off flavours in other beers, Isoamyl Acetate which is what gives the distinctive banana like flavour and Phenolic compounds which is amongst other things the clove like flavour, (but can also give a medicinal like flavour) yeasts used for wheat beers are often selected with the intention of producing what would often be considered off flavours, so if it’s either of these it could be the yeast. But I don’t think their is a distinct of flavour that is caused by wheat itself.

With regards to the fruit it isn’t something I have tried brewing with I guess in theory you may have ended up with the beer being contaminated with a wild yeast or bacteria that is producing the off flavour, but I suspect this one is for someone who has tried using fruit in beer.

This site has a list of common off flavours and their alleged causes which may be more helpful in identifying the exact issue:

https://learn.kegerator.com/off-flavors-in-beer/

My take on this is, when I brewed my strawberry wine, I forgot the yeast nutrient (I think) and the sulphur came out. I get the same flavour somehow? I was putting it down to the strawberry though. But what do I know? lol. Perhaps fermented strawberry has this aroma?

My take on this is, when I brewed my strawberry wine, I forgot the yeast nutrient (I think) and the sulphur came out. I get the same flavour somehow? I was putting it down to the strawberry though. But what do I know? lol. Perhaps fermented strawberry has this aroma?
Could always buy a commercial wheat and strawberry beer to see if you get the same.

As for what I’m drinking.
3E3B625F-A7D3-48C9-B17A-F1C40253509F.jpeg
LHG Psychedelic Views 10% TIPA which I plan to follow with LHG King of the Woodland a 12.5% Imperial Stout with Pistachio and Honeycomb suffice it to say I don’t plan on drinking anything else tonight other than a couple of glasses of water.

I’m starting with this one tonight as the weather has been a bit miserable.

View attachment 44917

My bottle of the 2020 one went down very nicely last night. I only realised after finishing it and reading the label that Fullers used Jester hops in this version which I used recently in my Golden Ale.

E2F37130-A082-4C29-A401-AE637A576BA3.jpeg
LHG King of the Woodland Imperial Stout 12.5%

I wasn’t really sure what this would be like but despite my trepidation it would seem pistachio and honeycomb really do work together pistachio is fairly pronounced wit’s just a hint of sweetness a fantastic beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back