What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Half a marzen left they never disappoint.

PXL_20210528_234412627.jpg

I drank the last 2 pints of my very first homebrew. Then had a Smithicks Pale Ale. A Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA, a Juicy Session IPA, a Pink Grapefruit IPA and then felt bad. So in order to feel better about myself had another Bavarian Wheat beer and a Juicy Session IPA. Now I’m watching Superbad wishing I was 17 all over again. 😂 Not really but imagine the confidence you might have?

Malt bills are simple just pale malt, it is the hops which is the tricky bit. I put one in a comp under someone else, we all agreed it was pretty much spot on, nice back of the tongue bitterness. Got hammered by the judges, they didn't want English hops but American hop flavours. Checked their credentials none of the 3 were accredited judges. I would like to know what hops are in the Golden Ales in the UK?
The only commercial version I have had is Hopback Brewery's Summer Lighting which their website suggests they use EKG.

English Golden Ale can be hopped with either, just frustrating when someone who is judging cannot read the guidelines. S I was wondering what the Golden Ales in the UK are hopped with. They are American hop mad over here.
You got me thinking about this . There are a few newer English hop varieties that I think haven't really been able to compete with the US hops for the IPA market but could possibly work well in British Golden Ales. Thinking Ernest, Jester & Olicana.

The only commercial version I have had is Hopback Brewery's Summer Lighting which their website suggests they use EKG.
I use Challenger to bitter and EKG late for both Summer Lightning and Exmoor gold. This is what GW suggests so I've stuck with it. For Tribute I used Challenger and Willamette.

English Golden Ale can be hopped with either, just frustrating when someone who is judging cannot read the guidelines. S I was wondering what the Golden Ales in the UK are hopped with. They are American hop mad over here.
Exmoor brewery state in their blurb about Exmoor gold - Challenger, Goldings and Fuggles.
Burton Bridge Golden Delicious uses Challenger and Styrian Goldings.
There are others that definitely have some Cascade in with EKG.
I'd love to have a recipe for the original Loweswater Gold. Now that's was a decent drink, but they've changed it from what it used to be.

I drank the last 2 pints of my very first homebrew. Then had a Smithicks Pale Ale. A Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA, a Juicy Session IPA, a Pink Grapefruit IPA and then felt bad. So in order to feel better about myself had another Bavarian Wheat beer and a Juicy Session IPA. Now I’m watching Superbad wishing I was 17 all over again. 😂 Not really but imagine the confidence you might have?
Sore head today 😃 ?

A79B7FED-8642-4BAD-A04B-E66160954033.jpeg
Tyne Bank Cherry Stout 5.2%

I bought a case of beer from this brewery purely on a whim, and have no regrets. A nice rich cherry flavour without the sickly sweetness all too common in a lot of fruit flavours stouts these days. Also rather fund of the bottle artwork, seems a consistent style across all their beers.

Winter Wassail courtesy of @DocAnna

Have already been onto her via PM to get the recipe and find out what the additional flavourings were. Imagine my surprise when informed that all of this sticky, burnt toffee, dried fruit flavour came from mere malts and hops. Iv not brewed many dark beers but to put something together that clearly relied on darker malts to get the depth and conplexity of flavour, yet have absolutely no astringency or roasty bitterness, and just get the deep caramels etc is obviously a skill I am yet to acquire.

A glass of sticky toffee pudding that hides its 7 and change % so well that the warm, dram by the fifeside glow its giving me is a very welcome surprise.

A job fantastically well done here Anna.

20210529_185034.jpg

Winter Wassail courtesy of @DocAnna

Have already been onto her via PM to get the recipe and find out what the additional flavourings were. Imagine my surprise when informed that all of this sticky, burnt toffee, dried fruit flavour came from mere malts and hops. Iv not brewed many dark beers but to put something together that clearly relied on darker malts to get the depth and conplexity of flavour, yet have absolutely no astringency or roasty bitterness, and just get the deep caramels etc is obviously a skill I am yet to acquire.

A glass of sticky toffee pudding that hides its 7 and change % so well that the warm, dram by the fifeside glow its giving me is a very welcome surprise.

A job fantastically well done here Anna.

View attachment 48136
Wow, that sounds amazing 👏

A shorter pub day today because we had grandchildren with us. We moved on from the pub where we had lunch to a micro pub in @dan125 and @dave_77 neck of the woods called the 10:50 from Victoria, a tiny place built into the arch of a railway viaduct. Some pics...

C7E9A571-484D-4920-A2A3-755567606F7B.jpeg

A69017CF-46EE-4136-A1AB-6282891AA5FB.jpeg
88F2B83C-BB15-4ED2-89DA-6903ABA6F0CC.jpeg

0809289E-17F7-48A8-AB00-45113DC67C2D.jpeg
A821DC56-CC80-44A6-B14E-0161BD215CB7.jpeg

...and now from my own brew-shed...
645ECD8C-ECDD-4A06-BA2F-F5484E51F6E1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back